Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Message de joy813 posté le 2004-11-20 11:16:55 (S | E | F | I)
Hello everybody
I would like to share with you a part of my last test

You have to put the verbe in brackets into the correct form ( past simple - past continuous or past perfect)

1. We ------- (see) an accident while we ------(wait) for the bus.

2. I couldn't speak to them because when I --------(phone) they ----------(go out).

3. He was very nervous when he --------(drive) across France last month because he ----------(not dirve) on the right before.

4. While she ---------(prepare) lunch, she -------(cut) herself.

5. We realized that we --------(meet) before as soon as we -------(see) each other.

6. Which countries -------(they ; visit) when they --------(travel) round the world ?

7. ---------- (you ; work) in the garden when I -------(come) to the house?

8. She ------(spend) a lot of hours studying for her exam because she ----------(already ; fail) it twice.

9. -----------(they ; not live) in Canada when they --------(meet) each other ?

10. They ----------(live) in their house for twenty years when they --------(decide) to sell it.

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercice de tounette, postée le 2004-11-20 11:58:22 (S | E)
Hello Joy

1-1. We saw an accident while we were waiting for the bus.

2. I couldn't speak to them because when I phoned they were going out

3. He was very nervous when he was driving across France last month because he didn't drive on the right before.

4. While she was preparing lunch, she has cut herself.

5. We realized that we have met before as soon as we were seing each other.

6. Which countries they visited when they were traveling round the world ?

7. Were you working in the garden when I came to the house?

8. She was spending a lot of hours studying for her exam because she failed it already twice.

9.were not they living in Canada when they meteach other ?

10. They were living in their house for twenty years when they decided to sell it

-------------------
Edité par tounette le 2004-11-20 12:46:25

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercice de vmg, postée le 2004-11-20 14:46:31 (S | E)

1. We saw an accident while we were waiting for the bus.

2. I couldn't speak to them because when I phoned they had gone out.

3. He was very nervous when he drove across France last month because he had not dirven on the right before.

4. While she was preparing lunch, she cut herself.

5. We realized that we had met before as soon as we saw each other.

6. Which countries did they visit when they traveled round the world ?

8. She spent a lot of hours studying for her exam because she had already failed it twice.

9. weren't they living in Canada when they met each other ?

10. They had lived in their house for twenty years when they decided to sell it.

Vmg

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercice de charleneb, postée le 2004-11-20 16:11:11 (S | E)

2. I couldn't speak to them because when I was phoning they had gone out.

3. He was very nervous when he drove across France last month because he hadn't driven on the right before.

6. Which countries they visited when they was traveling round the world ?

8. She had spent a lot of hours studying for her exam because she already failed it twice.

9. Hadn't they lived in Canada when they met each other ?

10. They had lived in their house for twenty years when they decided to sell it.

-------------------
Edité par charleneb le 2004-11-20 16:11:45

-------------------
Edité par charleneb le 2004-11-20 16:14:37

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de joy813, postée le 2004-11-21 11:07:43 (S | E)
Hi everybody

Tounette: 3-5-6-8-10 are false ... and be carefull for 6 (it's a question, and your subject isn't on the right place)

vmq: it's perfect but for 6 there's another possibilty

Charleneb: 2-6-8-9 are false ... and for 6 you did the same mistake as Tounette

Thanks for your participation

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de claire1, postée le 2004-11-21 11:46:47 (S | E)
joy813 it's difficult but I try to do it....

1)we saw an accident while we were waiting for the bus

2)I couln't speak to them because when I was phoning they had gone out

3)he was very nervous when he drove across France last month because he hadn't driven on the right before

4)while she was preparing lunch,she cut herself

5)we realized that we had met before as soon as we were seing each other

6)which countries have they visited when they travelled around the world ?

7) did you work in the garden when I was coming to the house?

8) she spent a lot of hours studying for her exam because she was already failed,it twice

9)they weren't living in Canada when they met each other?

10)they were living in their house when they have decided to sell it

joy813,it is very difficult for me!!!

thanks
bye
claire1

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de tounette, postée le 2004-11-21 12:30:59 (S | E)
honte sur moi ! je ne suis pas j'essaie encore !

3. He was very nervous when he drove across France last month because he had not driven on the right before

6. Which countries did they visit when they were traveling round the world ?
8. She spent a lot of hours studying for her exam because she had already failed it twice.
10. They had lived in their house for twenty years when they decided to sell it
Pour la 1O, peut-on également dire " they had been living "
Merci pour tes corrections et bon dimanche

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de joy813, postée le 2004-11-21 13:56:23 (S | E)
Tounette: now it's perfect

Pour la 1O, peut-on également dire " they had been living " ?
That's a passive form in the continuous, so I don't think it works here.

Claire: I know it was difficult for you ... but you tried to do it and it's great : 1-3-4--9 are correct.
I give you the rule:

Simple Past : V2 ==> is used to express a finished action in the past.
Past Continuous: was + Ving ==> is used to express an activity in he progress in the past.
Past Perfect: had + V3 ==> is used to make clear that one action in the past happened before another action in the past.

I hope that it can help you, and for the correction have a look at vmq's answers, he did a good job .

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de fawzia, postée le 2004-11-21 15:36:24 (S | E)
Voivi mes réponses

1. We ------- saw (see) an accident while we were waiting------(wait) for the bus.

2. I couldn't speak to them because when I phoned-(phone) they were going out-(go out).

3. He was very nervous when he drove-(drive) across France last month because he was not driving-(not dirve) on the right before.

4. While she was preparing-(prepare) lunch, she cut (cut) herself.

5. We realized that we had met-(meet) before as soon as we -saw each other.

6. Which countries did they visit--(they ; visit) when they traveled--(travel) round the world ?

7. Did you work - (you ; work) in the garden when I came(come) to the house?

8. She spent-(spend) a lot of hours studying for her exam because she had already failed-- (already ; fail) it twice.

9. --(they ; not live) in Canada when they --------(meet) each other ?

10. They had lived--(live) in their house for twenty years when they decided--(decide) to sell it.

Je réflechie encore pour la 10

Réponse: Proposal de ric, postée le 2004-11-21 15:50:50 (S | E)

2. I couldn't speak to them because when I was phoning they went out.

3. He was very nervous when he drove across France last month because he hasn't driven on the right before.

5. We realized that we've met before as soon as we saw each other.

6. Which countries did they visit when they travelled round the world ?

8. She spent a lot of hours studying for her exam because she has already failed it twice.

9. Weren't they living in Canada when they met each other ?

10. They have been living in their house for twenty years when they decidedto sell it.

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de joy813, postée le 2004-11-21 17:39:53 (S | E)

Ric: 2-5-8-10 : no
Fawzia: 2-3-7 : no
Don't change 10: it's perfect
What about 9 ?

It was not easy .... have a look at vmq's answers, he did a good job !
If you don't understand something, please, tell me ...

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de vmg, postée le 2004-11-24 09:43:48 (S | E)

Vmg is a SHE ! Some ladies can be quite good at English !!!!!

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de joy813, postée le 2004-11-24 11:16:39 (S | E)
I'm sorry Vmq please excuse me

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de marit64, postée le 2004-11-27 04:35:03 (S | E)
1. We saw (see) an accident while we were waiting (wait) for the bus.

2. I couldn't speak to them because when I phoned (phone) they had gone out.(go out).

3. He was very nervous when he drove (drive) across France last month because he hadn't drive (not dirve) on the right before.

4. While she was preparing (prepare) lunch, she cut (cut) herself.

5. We realized that we had met (meet) before as soon as we saw (see) each other.

6. Which countries had they visited (they ; visit) when they travelled(travel) round the world ?

7. Were you working (you ; work) in the garden when I came (come) to the house?

8. She was spending (spend) a lot of hours studying for her exam because she had already failed (already ; fail) it twice.

9. Were not they living (they ; not live) in Canada when they met(meet) each other ?

10. They had lived (live) in their house for twenty years when they decided (decide) to sell it.

Thanks a lot for this exercise. I hope I'm right !

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de salsify, postée le 2004-11-27 14:10:52 (S | E)
You have to put the verbe in brackets into the correct form ( past simple - past continuous or past perfect)

1. We --saw----- (see) an accident while we --was waiting----(wait) for the bus.

2. I couldn't speak to them because when I --phoned------(phone) they ----were going out------(go out).

3. He was very nervous when he --drove------(drive) across France last month because he -had never driven----(not drive) on the right before.

4. While she --was preparing-------(prepare) lunch, she ---cut----(cut) herself.

5. We realized that we -- had met------(meet) before as soon as we ---saw----(see) each other.

6. Which countries --were they visiting-----(they ; visit) when they --travelled------(travel) round the world ?

7. ---Were you working------- (you ; work) in the garden when I --came-----(come) to the house?

8. She --spent----(spend) a lot of hours studying for her exam because she ---had already failed-------(already ; fail) it twice.

9. --Weren't they living---------(they ; not live) in Canada when they ----met----(meet) each other ?

10. They ---were living-------(live) in their house for twenty years when they --decided------(decide) to sell it.

Je dois avouer que je ne suis pas sûre pour certaines réponses, mais merci pour la révision.

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de samia51, postée le 2004-11-27 16:59:44 (S | E)
Bonjour Joy813
Merci pour cet exercice :

1. We SAW (see) an accident while we WERE WAITING(wait) for the bus.

2. I couldn't speak to them because when I PHONED (phone) they ------HAD GONE OUT (go out).

3. He was very nervous when he DROVE (drive) across France last month because he HAD NOT DRIVEN (not dirve) on the right before.

4. While she WAS PREPARING (prepare) lunch, she CUT (cut) herself.

5. We realized that we HAD MET (meet) before as soon as we SAW(see) each other.

6. Which countries DID THEY VISIT (they ; visit) when they TRAVELED(travel) round the world ?

7. WERE YOU WORKING (you ; work) in the garden when I CAME (come) to the house?

8. She SPENT (spend) a lot of hours studying for her exam because she -HAD ALREADY FAILED (already ; fail) it twice.

9. WERE NOT THEY LIVING (they ; not live) in Canada when they MET -(meet) each other ?

10. They HAD LIVED (live) in their house for twenty years when they ---DECIDED (decide) to sell it.

Merci

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de grabuge, postée le 2004-12-02 19:43:46 (S | E)

2. I couldn't speak to them because when I phoned they had gone out
3. He was very nervous when he drove across France last month because he did not dirven on the right before.

4. While she prepared lunch, she was cut herself.

5. We realised that we had met before as soon as we saw each other.

6. Which countries had they visited when they travelled round the world ?

7. Have you been worked in the garden when I went to the house?

9. hadn't they lived in Canada when they met each other ?

10. They have been living in their house for twenty years when they decided to sell it.

I'm afraid by the results !!!

Réponse: re:Past tenses Exercise de desbad, postée le 2004-12-06 23:00:22 (S | E)
<1. We saw an accident while we were waiting for the bus.

2. I couldn't speak to them because when I was phoning they -went out
3. He was very nervous when he drove across France last month because he -had'nt driven on the right before.

6. Which countries did they visit when they are travelling round the world ?7.are you working in the garden when I came to the house?

8. She spent a lot of hours studying for her exam because she already had failed it twice.

9. Weren't they living in Canada when they met each other ?

10. They --were living in their house for twenty years when they decided to sell

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux