Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Message de werriy58 posté le 2004-08-01 17:35:28 (S | E | F | I)

Why in English ch is pronounce with the phonetic of (TSH).
For example : ranch, choose, children, change ?

I need your explanations.

werriy58

Réponse: re:Ch in English why ? de TravisKidd, postée le 2004-08-01 17:51:14 (S | E)
"CH" is pronounced the same in Spanish as in English.

Spanish has no "SH" sound. (But in South America one might hear "LL" pronounced as "SH".)

In Polish, "SZ" and "CZ" correspond to English "SH" and "CH", respectively.

In Czech, Š and Č correspond to English "SH" and "CH" respectively.

So in fact I would suggest that it is French that is out of place, writing "CH" for the "SH" sound, and the cumbersome "TCH" for the "CH" sound.

One interesting note: As French was once the superior language of Europe, names of famous Russians had their Cyrillic spellings transcribed so that they could be pronounced in French. This is why Tchaikovsky's name starts with a T.

I will also add that, as is typical in English, "CH" can have other pronunciations. In words borrowed from French (chauffeur, chandelier) it is pronounced "SH" as in French. In words of Greek origin (chronicles, Christ, psychology), it is pronounced "K".

-------------------
Edité par TravisKidd le 2004-08-01 17:57:21

Réponse: re:Ch in English why ? de hoppy1, postée le 2004-08-01 21:28:01 (S | E)
you know:
cheap=(tch )/ ship= (ch) .
goodbye .

Réponse: to TravisKidd de mariet, postée le 2004-08-02 02:10:24 (S | E)
"So in fact I would suggest that it is French that is out of place, writing "CH" for the "SH" sound, and the cumbersome "TCH" for the "CH" sound. "
Well, Travis, you may be right; but don't you think the TCH in 'watch' is cumbersome ? or in 'thatch' (a real tongue twister for Frenchies!) ?

Réponse: re:Ch in English why ? de mariet, postée le 2004-08-02 02:33:02 (S | E)
I am not an expert in linguistics at all, and I don't no much about other languages. But I should think in most languages there are differences between what is written and the way one reads/says it. And probably different ways of saying the same group of written letters too. That's why phonetic transcription is useful!
Homophones are words that SOUND the same but SPELL differently most of the time (though not always) and have a different meaning.
Homographs SPELL the same but SOUND different and have a different meaning.
In French we say :
homophones -> L'évier du boucher est bouché.
homographs -> Les poules du couvent ne couvent pas en ce moment.

Réponse: re:Ch in English why ? de TravisKidd, postée le 2004-08-02 05:30:57 (S | E)
Touché, mariet! But I would say that in the word "watch" the T is a separate sound from the CH. Of course you can't hear the separation since the CH sound includes a T, but linguistically, I believe it is there. Same for "thatch", "hatch", "match", and "ratchet" (syllables: rat-chet).

In English we also have homophones and homographs.

Homophones: The nose knows!!
I do believe the wetness of the grass is due to the dew.
Which Web site did you cite in your paper? I can't tell just by sight.

Homographs: The bandage was wound around the wound.
The dove dove into the water.
Does he know that does are female deer?

P.S. Homographs are spelled the same. (Not spell.)

-------------------
Edité par TravisKidd le 2004-08-02 05:42:46

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux