Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

Thèmes généraux, jeux, chansons, traductions...
Tout ce qui n'a pas un rapport direct avec les difficultés liées à la langue anglaise: par exemple, les thèmes généraux sur l'apprentissage de la langue, les jeux, les demandes de traductions de chansons etc.

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponses

Parlez-vous Islandais?
Message de traviskidd posté le 30-03-2005 à 08:01:58 (S | E | F | I)

Voici un proverbe en Islandais que je suis arrivé à trouver sur le Net. Pouvez-vous le traduire?

Guð hjálpar þeim sem hjálpa sér sjálfir.

Hints:
1. Think English!
2. ð is pronounced as in IPA (the voiced "th")
3. þ is different from "p", and is prounced as the voiceless "th".
(The letters ð and þ were once part of the Old English alphabet!)
4. J is prounced as in German (like the Y in "yes").

Good luck!

P.S. Those of you who speak fluent Icelandic (and I'm sure there are many of you ) please don't answer!

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de weena, postée le 30-03-2005 à 13:42:25 (S | E)
Bonjour!!
J'ai fais quelques petites recherches et voici ce que je propose comme traduction: "Dieu aide ceux qui s'aident". (In English: "God helps those that help themselves")
Est-ce la bonne réponse

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de sangohan, postée le 30-03-2005 à 14:35:29 (S | E)
Trop facile ce proverbe!
Je dis la même chose que weena:
"God helps those that help themselves"

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de weena, postée le 30-03-2005 à 21:29:06 (S | E)
Salut!!
Je vous propose à mon tour un proverbe Islandais:
Sá hlær best sem síðast hlær
Pouvez vous le traduire??

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de traviskidd, postée le 30-03-2005 à 21:33:05 (S | E)
Wow very good! I had thought this exercise would be harder (especially if English isn't your native language)! Great job!

English is a very strange language. On the one hand it is a Germanic language with words like "come", "can", "find", "hand", "knife", "help", and "will". On the other hand, it is much like Romance languages with words like "ability", "compute", "due", "impression", "maintenance", "quit", and "reality".

So ... when you learn English, you're not just learning English, but without knowing it you are learning many other (dissimilar!) languages as well!! It's as if English is the bridge between the Germanic and the Latin world.

Again, great job!

P.S. No, serena, I don't know Icelandic. But I found that sentence on a page of Icelandic proverbs and the similarity to English was so obvious and so striking that immediately I knew what it meant! So I thought I would share it as a challenge, and apparently, you all are as prescient as I!

P.P.S. It's "God helps those who help themselves." ("That" is acceptable, but "who" is better because you're talking about people.)

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de traviskidd, postée le 30-03-2005 à 21:37:03 (S | E)
Hmm ... this one is harder! I'll guess:
"He who laughs last laughs best."
Am I right?

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de serena, postée le 30-03-2005 à 21:50:30 (S | E)

How did you guess I would ask you if you also speak Icelandic ???
Yeah ! My God ! I was about to do ! believe me !

Thanks for this topic, now I know how you manage to know so many languages !
Let's try to guess the second proverb. I said TRY!

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de serena, postée le 30-03-2005 à 22:00:27 (S | E)
Well.......I do need to know the whole Icelandic alphabet.
PS: Travis, I searched for the meaning of this proverb. You're right.
-------------------
Edité par serena le 31-03-2005 02:36

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de weena, postée le 31-03-2005 à 14:50:16 (S | E)
Yes! you're right Traviskidd! How did you find the answer? tell me your secret!!
Translation in french: rira bien qui rira le dernier.

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de traviskidd, postée le 01-04-2005 à 07:48:32 (S | E)
Well ... I saw the word "best" ... and figured it meant the same as in English. Then I noticed that the same word (hlær) appeared twice, once right before "best", and another time after "sem", which seemed to mean "who" in the first proverb. So I asked myself which proverb in English had the same characteristic. I could only think of one, and it was the one I guessed.

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de weena, postée le 01-04-2005 à 10:30:53 (S | E)
Thank you Traviskidd!
You told me your secret, so I tell you mine. I acknowledge that I cheated!! I'm ashamed!
Lien Internet

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de serena, postée le 01-04-2005 à 15:42:37 (S | E)
Well...I think you shouldn't be so ashamed ! It's great of you to confess your "crime".
Confession of a fault is half amended....
I won't ask you to say this in Icelandic. It's too hard !
Good link weena. Thanks !

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de weena, postée le 01-04-2005 à 15:45:49 (S | E)
thank you Serena!
I hope that Traviskidd will not be !!

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de serena, postée le 01-04-2005 à 16:01:11 (S | E)
I see.
But don't worry, I'll plead for you : Not guilty !! ....

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de weena, postée le 01-04-2005 à 16:03:41 (S | E)
Thank you for your support!!

-------------------
Edité par serena le 01-04-2005 16:14
It's ok !

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de traviskidd, postée le 03-04-2005 à 03:23:38 (S | E)
Don't worry, I won't punish you for cheating ... this time.

But I was hoping you would try to think of the answer without help, or at least that you wouldn't post your ill-gotten answer, so that others who might have wanted to be the first to answer "honestly" wouldn't have to see the solution prematurely.

Oh well ... it was still an interesting and fun exercise.

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de serena, postée le 03-04-2005 à 03:39:17 (S | E)
We can't all be like you, Travis !
And I feel much better for weena now ! Thanks for forgiving her !
And thanks for this exercice too. It was really nice and funny.

Réponse: Parlez-vous Islandais? de weena, postée le 03-04-2005 à 14:18:23 (S | E)
Thank you so much for forgiving me Traviskidd!
I promess that I will not cheat again!!

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux