Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

English only
All your questions about the English language, no French allowed.

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Pronunciation
Message de tiphanie0504 posté le 04-05-2006 à 14:57:34 (S | E | F | I)

Hello everybody!

My written English is not too bad but my pronunciation is really awful. I do not understand phonetics. So if I have a look at the dictionary it does not help me at all. Has anyone a good suggestion to help me ?

Thank you very much for your help!

-------------------
Modifié par willy le 03-07-2006 19:57

Réponse: Pronunciation de traviskidd, postée le 04-05-2006 à 15:41:14 (S | E)
Hello tiphanie.

I suggest that you learn the sounds of English as an English-speaker would perceive them. Unfortunately this cannot be done without being able to hear the sounds. There are several lists that use symbols designed specifically for English; none is necessarily more correct than the others. I have posted my personal favorite list several times here in the forums, so I won't repeat the entire list here. However I'll include a sample of it so that you can decide if you would like me to send you the whole list. While I personally don't like the use of IPA symbols to explain the pronunciation of specific words, I will include the IPA symbol for the sounds listed here, since it is obviously impossible for me to let you hear the sounds themselves.

Here is the sample:

Short Vowels:
a - pat (//)
e - pet (//)
i - pit (//)
o - pot (/a/)
oo - put (//)
u - putt (//)

Long Vowels:
ā - bait (//)
ē - beat (//)
ī - bite (//)
ō - boat (//)
ōō - boot (//)
ū - beauty (/j/)

As you can see, what are considered diphtongs in IPA (and, I suppose, in reality) are considered as single sounds by English-speakers. I believe that in order to improve your English pronunciation you must learn to perceive these sounds as an English-speaker would.

Furthermore, learning the sounds this way helps you to remember certain rules. For example, a word spelled with CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) will have its vowel pronounced short. But if a silent E is added to the end, the vowel becomes long. Hence "hat" is pronounced /hat/ (= /ht/ in IPA) and "hate" is pronounced /hāt/ (= /ht/ in IPA).

If you would like to see the full list, let me know.

In any case, bon courage.

Réponse: Pronunciation de js40run, postée le 05-05-2006 à 12:38:12 (S | E)
Hi tiphanie0504,

I have the same problem but for me, I think "my" English writes is not very high.

But have you seen on this website (and I write under control the administrators of the site!), you can go to "utiles" (up this page) and you can choose a program about the pronunciation (21.000 mots prononcés, prononcer une phrase).

I you clic on "Détente" (up this page, in "logiciels gratuits"), you can find too a lot of freewares: SELINGUA, SELINGUA COLUMNS, SETTERA, SEBRAN's ABC,
POETRY SCREEN SAVER, SEPHONICS).
I don't have tested them but I want to do it soon.

Tell me if they interesting, please.
I hope my response help you.

Have a nice day!

Réponse: Pronunciation de js40run, postée le 05-05-2006 à 12:44:21 (S | E)
Sorry for the mistakes!

Correction
Tell me if they ARE interesting, please.
I hope my response WILL help you.

Réponse: Pronunciation de camwag, postée le 11-07-2006 à 21:33:26 (S | E)
if you want to have good pronounciation you have to listen english musique or follow english cinemas

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux