Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

English only
All your questions about the English language, no French allowed.

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponses

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.
Message de weena posté le 26-04-2005 à 22:16:12 (S | E | F | I)

Hi everybody!

Here is a little but intersting exercise.

Try to put this story back into the right order.

1. "They are moved by a story I have been telling them. We are having a history lesson," said Miss Brodie, catching a falling leaf neatly in her hand as she spoke.

2. The story of Miss Brodie's felled fiancé was well on its way when the headmistress, Miss Mackay, was seen to approach across the lawn. Tears had already started to drop from Sandy's little pig-like eyes and Sandy's tears now affected her friend Jenny. (...)

3. "If anyone comes along," said Miss Brodie, "in the course of the following lesson, remember that it is the hour for English grammar. Meantime I will tell you a little of my life when I was younger than I am now." (...)
She leaned against the elm. (...)

4. "Crying over a story at ten yaers of age!" said Miss Mackay (...). "I am only come to see you and I must be off. Well, girls, the new term has begun. I hope you all had a splendid summer holiday and I look forward to seeing your splendid assays on how you spent them. You shouldn't be crying over history at the age of ten. My word!"

5. "I am come to see you and I have to be off," (said Miss Mackay). "What are you little girls crying for?"

6. "I was engaged to a young man at the beginning of the War (1) but he fell on Flanders' Field (2), sais Miss Brodie. (...) "He fell the week before Armistice was declared. (...) He was poor. He came from Ayrshire, a countryman, but a hard-working and clever scholar." (...)

From The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, by Muriel Spark (1961)

(1) The War = WWI
(2) Flanders' Field = La bataille des Flandres.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

The answer on Sunday evening.

See you

-------------------
Edité par weena le 27-04-2005 13:52

Réponse: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. de bridg, postée le 26-04-2005 à 22:45:39 (S | E)
I try, thank you

"If anyone comes along," said Miss Brodie, "in the course of the following lesson, remember that it is the hour for English grammar. Meantime I will tell you a little of my life when I was younger than I am now."
She leaned against the elm.
"I was engaged to a young man at the beginning of the War but he fell on Flanders' Field, says Miss Brodie. "He fell the week before Armistead was declared. He was poor. He came from Ayrshire, a countryman, but a hard-working and clever scholar."
The story of Miss Brodie's felled fiancé was well on its way when the headmistress, Miss Mackay, was seen to approach across the lawn. Tears had already started to drop from Sandy's little pig-like eyes and Sandy's tears now affected her friend Jenny.
“I am come to see you and I have to be off," (said Miss Mackay). "What are you little girls crying for?"?
"They are moved by a story I have been telling them. We are having a history lesson," said Miss Brodie, catching a falling leaf neatly in her hand as she spoke.
"Crying over a story at ten years of age!" said Miss Mackay . "I am only come to see you and I must be off. Well, girls, the new term has begun. I hope you all had a splendid summer holiday and I look forward to seeing your splendid assays on how you spent them. You shouldn't be crying over history at the age of ten. My word!"

From The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, by Muriel Spark (1961)

Réponse: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. de marie37400, postée le 27-04-2005 à 22:29:50 (S | E)
Hi, Weena,
Thanks for this little brainstorming

Here is my suggestion :
See you soon,
Marie
PS : It's a very useful exercise, more particularly for who wants to take the FCE

Réponse: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. de weena, postée le 01-05-2005 à 21:21:48 (S | E)
Hello!
Nobody else wants to try?? So, Here is the answer...

3. "If anyone comes along," said Miss Brodie, "in the course of the following lesson, remember that it is the hour for English grammar. Meantime I will tell you a little of my life when I was younger than I am now." (...)
She leaned against the elm. (...)
6. "I was engaged to a young man at the beginning of the War (1) but he fell on Flanders' Field (2), sais Miss Brodie. (...) "He fell the week before Armistice was declared. (...) He was poor. He came from Ayrshire, a countryman, but a hard-working and clever scholar." (...)
2. The story of Miss Brodie's felled fiancé was well on its way when the headmistress, Miss Mackay, was seen to approach across the lawn. Tears had already started to drop from Sandy's little pig-like eyes and Sandy's tears now affected her friend Jenny. (...)
5. "I am come to see you and I have to be off," (said Miss Mackay). "What are you little girls crying for?"
1. "They are moved by a story I have been telling them. We are having a history lesson," said Miss Brodie, catching a falling leaf neatly in her hand as she spoke.
4. "Crying over a story at ten yaers of age!" said Miss Mackay (...). "I am only come to see you and I must be off. Well, girls, the new term has begun. I hope you all had a splendid summer holiday and I look forward to seeing your splendid assays on how you spent them. You shouldn't be crying over history at the age of ten. My word!"

Thank you to Bridg and Marie, you were both right!
See you soon.
Bye...............

-------------------
Edité par weena le 01-05-2005 21:22
By the way, Marie what does FCE mean? I imagine that I should know but....

Réponse: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. de bridg, postée le 01-05-2005 à 22:33:55 (S | E)
Merci weena, j'ai vraiment beaucoup aimé cet exercice

Réponse: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. de weena, postée le 01-05-2005 à 22:43:16 (S | E)
You're welcome Bridg!!
Be carefull dear friend! in this forum, no french is allowed!!!!

-------------------
Edité par bridg le 01-05-2005 22:54
sorry

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux