Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Rack your brains and help!/ 23

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Message de here4u posté le 30-05-2018 à 11:32:40 (S | E | F)
Dear Friends,

Vous avez eu beaucoup de mal avec les remises en ordre, très difficiles, et j’ai décidé de laisser cet exercice reposer pendant quelque temps.
Nous nous concentrerons sur la correction d’un texte où des fautes ont été laissées. Vous pourrez, ensuite laisser libre cours à votre imagination et créer quatre phrases, et enfin vous livrer, si vous le souhaitez à votre recherche de vocabulaire. Le tout est un et sera corrigé en ligne le vendredi 15 juin tard.
Bon courage à tous. May the FORCE be with YOU.

I) Please, help my student! He really needs you! Pas d’avalanche de fautes, cette fois encore … Il n’y en a « QUE » 15. Mais il vous faudra les détecter et les corriger. (Attention ! Vous pourriez être tentés de trouver plus de fautes que les 15 annoncées, mais ce serait vouloir pénaliser les « régionalismes » et expressions familières. Ne le faites pas ! Ne « sanctionnez » que "la grammaire/ syntaxe/ vocabulaire » fautifs." )

In a word where gender notions are revising, why have we still separate Mother’s Days and Father’s days to honour our parents? Mustn’t we just have a Parents’ Day and get away with our lives? Aren’t these “Special Days” just a creation of (and for) the florists, as well as the women and men’s retailers? Isn’t it just another reason to spend our hard earning money?
Yet, celebrating and honouring parents and families in schools, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can bring opportunities to recognise the diversity of families structures. While some students have a mother and a father, the other may have two mums, two dads, a single mum or dad, grandparents raising them, divorced parents or an all range of other family situations. There may be students who have lost a parent or whose parent is absent, and difficult emotions may come up if Mother’s Day or Father’s Day will be celebrated in classrooms.
With older elementary students, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can also be used as an opportunity to look at genders stereotypes. Students can discuss the qualities that mothers and fathers have and explore why these qualities have culturally been assigned to a specific gender. Kids may be asked to list and comment the important qualities parents should have. One of the frequent question is : What kinds of things do parents do for or with their children? Can either a mom or dad do this? In most cases, the answer is « Yes », and that may be why either Mothers or Fathers will be honoured in schools, and in the kid minds from now on…

II) Following the theme of the text, «Make your own sentences»:
- "Kids will feel sad and different when… (+ proposition)"
- "Kids expect caring adults…."
- use « either… or » and « neither… nor » in two sentences of your own.
(N'écrivez pas un texte sur chaque "thème" mais donnez des suites logiques et grammaticalement exactes aux deux débuts de phrases imposés. Employez ensuite, sur le thème abordé dans ce Rack your Brains, les expressions "either... or" et "neither... nor" dans deux phrases séparées. )

III) ANOTHER TORTURE? (Inspirée par Maxwell …) Nous partagerons la main ! Maxwell

a) A partir du mot français suivant : « toujours », trouver au moins 3 traductions anglaises différentes, possibles (que vous utiliserez chacune dans une phrase qui explicitera le contexte dans lequel on peut l'utiliser, l'éventuel registre de langue associé, et les nuances de sens.) Ces 3 expressionsanglaises ne devront (si possible) pas être interchangeables, et chacune devrait apporter quelque chose de différent. (3 expressions, pas plus ... S'il y en a plus, choisissez celles que vous voulez privilégier ! )

b) Même chose pour l'expression « reconnaître » ...
You’ll need THE FORCE to do all this in time… It’ll be with you !

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 30-05-2018 11:38

Edit : 03/06 : voir exercice II.

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de taiji43, postée le 03-06-2018 à 16:27:31 (S | E)
Bonjour Here4u

READY TO BE CORRECTED
- Kids will feel sad and different when… (+ proposition)
- Kids expect caring adults….

1).Kids will feel sad and different when their parents divorced.
children who have experienced their parents’ divorce show emotional and behavioural reactions. They become differents: they may regress, have sometimes anxiety and depressive symptoms , social problems in relationships and educational backwardness .and finally the awareness to be responsible for the separation

Kids expect caring adults:
When children have a caring adult in their lives, love, guidance are essential for their well-being . Adults must believe in them and have a narrow relationship with them.
So, CHILDREN can visualize their hopes, understand the ways to realize their goals…

Use « either… or » and « neither… nor » in two sentences of your own
En Sicile soit, l’ascension du volcan Stromboli pour voir son activité éruptive se réalise à pied , soit vous aller en bateau pour observer les éruptions à partir de la mer. Mais sachez, ni votre volonté ni votre entêtement ne vous permettrons de faire ces 928 de dénivelée à pied, si vous n’avez pas d’entraînement
In Sicily EITHER, the volcano Stromboli’s ascent to watch its eruptive activity will be realise on foot, ORyou will go by boat to observe the eruptions from the sea. But you must take in consideration NEITHER your will ,NOR your stubbornness shall not permit you to go up these 928meters in difference in height , if you have no training

III) ANOTHER TORTURE? (Inspirée par Maxwell)
READY TO BE CORRECTED

a) A partir du mot français suivant : « toujours », trouver au moins 3 traductions anglaises différentes, possibles
Je ne ferai pas avec reconnaître qui me demande trop de temps (merci de ta compréhension)

READY TO BE CORRECTED

Toujours : tout le temps always
Toujours : encore still
Toujours anyway/ anyhow

1).Tu dois bien te mettre cela ta tête, il faut toujours réviser et encore réviser si tu veux retenir l’essentiel de la grammaire et du vocabulaire anglais N'oublie pas d'écrire ton nouveau mot dans une phrase car le même mot peut avoir plusieurs significations
You will have to stick it in the head, You must ALWAYS revise and revise again if you want to memorize the main part ENGLISH grammar and vocabulary. Do not forget to write t your new word in a sentence because the same word can have several different meanings

Ma chère nièce n’a toujours pas répondu à mon e-mail lui faisant part que j’étais au courant de son mal-être après le décès de sa grand-mère ; je suis’inquiète au sujet de sa santé fragile .son burn out. je vais lui renvoyer une jolie carte lui disant toute mon affection
My dear niece did not STILL answer my e-mail telling her, I was well-informed about her ill-being after the death of her grand-mother. I am worried about her fragile health and her burn out at work. I am going to send a nice card to her, telling all my affection

Vous pouvez toujours essayer de monter jusqu’au DEIR pour admirer cette tombe datant d’un siècle avant JC, mais vous devez savoir qu’il y a huit cent deux marchesinégales taillée dans la roche calcaire pour atteindre cette merveille , sous un soleil de plomb
ANYWAY You can always try to go up as far as the DEIR to admire that tomb dating back to 1th century BC, but you must know, there are eight hundred and two uneven steps carved in the limestone to reach this marvel in a blazing sun

HELP MY STUDENT
READY TO BE CORRECTED WITH MY TRANSLATION5 mai 20h30 pour la correction

In a WORLD( 1)where gender notions( ARE)2 revising, why have we still SEPARATED-3 Mother’s DAY 4 and Father’s DAY5 to honour our parents?
SHOULDN’T6 we just have a Parents’ Day and get away with our lives? Aren’t these “Special Days” just a creation of (and for) the florists, as well as the women and men’s retailers? Isn’t it just another reason to spend our hard- EARNED 7money?

Yet, celebrating and honouring parents and families in schools, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can bring opportunities to recognise the diversity of FAMILY8 structures.

While some students have a mother and a father, the OTHERS9 may have two mums, two dads, a single mum or dad,

grandparents raising them, divorced parents or an all range of other family situations. There may be students who have lost a parent or whose parent is absent, and INTENSE emotions may come up if Mother’s Day or Father’s Day IS 10celebrated in classrooms.

With older elementary students, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can also be used as an opportunity to look at GENDER 12 stereotypes. Students can discuss QUALITIES12 ( PAS DE THE) that mothers and fathers have and explore why these qualities have culturally been assigned to a specific gender.

Kids may be asked to list and comment the important qualities parents should have. One of the frequent question is : WHICH13 kinds of things do parents do for or with their children?

Can either a MUM 14or dad do IT? In most cases, the answer is « Yes », and that may be why Mothers or Fathers will be honouredEITHER15 in schools, and in the kid minds from now on… 15

15 fautes trouvées, 15, qui ne sont pas garanties être exactes
TRADUCTION
READY TO BE CORRECTED
Dans un monde où les notions de sexisme sont en train d'être révisées, pourquoi avons-nous séparé encore, la fête des pères et la fête des mères? Ne faut-il pas juste avoir une fête des parents etagir. Selon nos vies?
Ces journées spéciales ne sont-elles pas une création de (ou pour) les fleuristes et les commerçants? N'est ce pas juste une autre raison de dépenser notre argent durement gagné ?
Pourtant, célébrer et honorer les parents et les familles dans les écoles, la fête des mères et la fête des pères peut offrir des raisons pour reconnaître la diversité des structures familiales .
Alors que certains élèves ont une mère et un père, d'autres peuvent avoir deux mères , deux pères, une mère ou un père célibataire, des grands- parents qui les élèvent, des parents divorcés ou toute une gamme d'autres situations familiales

.Il peut y avoir des élèves qui ont perdu un parent ou dont le parent est absent, et des émotions vives peuvent surgir si la fête des mères ou la fête des pères est célébrée dans les salles de classe.
Avec les élèves du primaire plus âgé, la fête des mères et la fête des pères peuvent aussi être l'occasion d’observer les stéréotypes sexistes
.Les élèves peuvent discuter des qualités que les mères et les pères ont et explorer pourquoi ces qualités ont été culturellement assignées à un genre spécifique.
On peut demander aux enfants d'énumérer et de commenter les qualités importantes que les parents devraient avoir.
L'une des questions fréquentes est la suivante: Quel genre de choses les parents font-ils pour ou avec leurs enfants? L’un ou l’autre , une maman ou un papa peut-t-il faire cela
Dans la plupart des cas la réponse est" oui et c'est pourquoi l’un ou l’autre, les mère ou les pères seront honorés dans les écoles dorénavant

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de magie8, postée le 04-06-2018 à 16:46:37 (S | E)
I) Please, help my student!

READY TO CORRECT
In a WORLD where gender notions are BEING REVISED ,Why ARE we still separatING Mother's DAY and Father's DAY to honour ( possible aussi sans u aux USA ) our parents?SHOULDN't we just have a Parent's Day and get away with our lives ? Aren't not these special days just a creation of( and for) florists(pas the les fleuristes en général) as well as the women'S and men's retailers?Isn't it just another reason to spend our hard-earnED money?
Yet celebrating and honouring parents and families in schools Mother's Day and Father's Day can bring opportunities to recognise( possible aussi avec Z aux USA) the diversity of THE FAMILY structures.While some students have a mother and a father,SOME OF the other may have two MOMS,two dads, a single MOM or dad, grandparents raising them,divorced parents or an all range of otherS family situations..There may be students who have lost ONE parent or IN WHOM parent is absent, and difficult emotions may come up if Mother's Day or Father's Day will be celebrated in classrooms.
With older elementary students, Mother's Day and Father's Day can also be used as an opportunity to look at GENDER stereotypes.Students can discuss ABOUT the qualities that mothers and fathers have and explore why these qualities have culturally been assigned to a specific gender.Kids may be asked to list and comment ON important qualities (THAT) parents should have.One of the frequent questionS is: What KIND of things do parents do for or with their children? Can either a mom or dad do this?In most cases , the answer is"yes" and that may be why either Mothers or Fathers will be honored in schools and in the KIDS' minds from now on.

En français:
Dans un monde où les notions de genre sont en train d'être réviser, pourquoi séparons nous encore la fête des pères et la fête des mères? Ne faut-il pas juste avoir une fête des parents et s'en sortir avec nos vies?Ces journées spéciales ne sont-elles pas une création de (ou pour) les commerçants?N'est-ce-pas juste une autre raison de dépenser notre argent durement gagné?
Tout en célébrant et honorant les parents et les familles, la fête des mères et la fête des pères dans les écoles peuvent apporter des opportunités pour reconnaître la diversité des structures familiales.Alors que certains élèves ont une mère et un père, les autres peuvent avoir deux mères , deux pères, une mère ou un père célibataire, des grands-parents qui les élèvent, des parents divorcés ou toute une gamme d'autres situations familiales.Il peut y avoir des élèves qui ont perdu un parent ou dont le parent est absent, et des émotions difficiles peuvent surgir si la fête des mères ou la fête des pères sont célébrées dans les salles de classe.
Avec les élèves du primaire plus âgés, la fête des mères et la fête des pères peuvent aussi être l'occasion de regarder les stéréotypes des genres.Les élèves peuvent discuter des qualités que les mères et les pères ont et explorer pourquoi ces qualités ont été culturellement assignées à un genre spécifique.On peut demander aux enfants d'énumérer et de commenter les qualités importantes que les parents devraient avoir.L'une des questions fréquentes est la suivante: Quel genre de choses les parents font-ils pour ou avec leurs enfants?Soit, maman ou papa peuvent-t-ils faire ça?Dans la plupart des cas la réponse est" oui et c'est pourquoi soit la mère ou le père seront honorés dans les écoles et dans l'esprit des enfants dès maintenant.

READY TO CORRECT:
- "Kids will feel sad and different when… (+ proposition)"
- "Kids expect caring adults…."

1) Kids will feel and different when one of their parents moved in an other city and they have to follow him.Their life completely changes: an other school where they do not know anybody, they may turn violent, agressif, all their behaviour may change without warning.
Les enfants se sentiront différents quand un de leurs parents déménage dans une autre ville et qu'ils doivent le suivre , leur vie change complètement : une autre école où ils ne connaissent personne , ils peuvent devenir violents , agressifs ,leur comportement peut changer sans prévenir

2)Kids expect caring adults for growing and thriving , they need some encouragements in a loving family
les enfants s'attendent à ce que les parents s'occupent d'eux pour grandir et bien se développer ils ont besoin d'encouragements dans un milieu familial aimant.

3)My parents are going to divorce and I have to choice EITHER I stay to live with my mother OR with my father , but I love them both and it was a great sorrow to me.
Mes parents sont en train de divorcer et je dois choisir :soit je vis avec ma mère ou avec mon père , mais je les aime autant tous les deux et j'en ai beaucoup de chagrin .

NEITHER dad NOR mum want to stay together anymore,and I can not understand their point of view.
Ni mon père , ni ma père ne veulent plus rester ensemble et je ne peux pas comprendre leur idée.

READY TO CORRECT
III) ANOTHER TORTURE? (Inspirée par Maxwell …) Nous partagerons la main ! Maxwell
a) A partir du mot français suivant : « toujours », trouver au moins 3 traductions anglaises différentes, possibles (que vous utiliserez chacune dans une phrase qui explicitera le contexte dans lequel on peut l'utiliser, l'éventuel registre de langue associé, et les nuances de sens.) Ces 3 expressions anglaises ne devront (si possible) pas être interchangeables, et chacune devrait apporter quelque chose de différent. (3 expressions, pas plus ... S'il y en a plus, choisissez celles que vous voulez privilégier ! )

A)avec toujoursREADY TO CORRECT
1) We are happy , we are young, with good health, we have got money enough and two cute kids.What do we want else?
-I just wish that it could GO ON FOREVER
Nous sommes heureux , nous sommes jeunes en bonne santé , nous avons assez d'argent et 2 beaux enfants , que demander d'autre ?
Si seulement cela pouvait durer toujours.

_2)I met your daughter yesterday she looked lovely and she smelled good AS USUALLY. What is her perfume ?
J'ai rencontré votre fille hier elle était ravissante et elle sentait bon comme toujours . Quel est son parfum?

3)You said to me that he was serious and skillful however I note A CONTINUING FAILURE to manage to get a job.Tu me disais qu'il était sérieux et compétent , toutefois je constate qu 'il ne réussit toujours pas à trouver du travail.

B) reconnaître
1) I know , I was wrong, but the most important is to ACKNOWLEDGE that fact.
Je sais j'avais tort mais le plus important c'est de savoir le reconnaître.

2)Would you be able to IDENTIFY the man who assaulted you ?
seriez vous capable de reconnaître votre agresseur?

3)I glady CONCEDE he has perfectly done the job but nevertheless, the price was very high.
Je reconnais volontiers qu il a bien travaillé ,mais néanmoins le prix était tout de même très élevé.

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de tereda, postée le 06-06-2018 à 11:29:30 (S | E)
hello everyone,

I) Please, help my student!

In a WORLD where gender notions are REVISITED, why have we still separate Mother’s DAY and Father’s DAY to HONOR our parents? Mustn’t we just have a Parents’ Day and get away with our lives? Aren’t these “Special Days” just a creation of (and for) the florists, as well as the women and men’s retailers? Isn’t it just another reason to spend our hard EARNED money?

Yet, celebrating and HONORING parents and families in schools, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can bring opportunities to RECOGNIZE the diversity of families structures. While some students have a mother and a father, OTHERS may have two mums, two dads, a single mum or dad, grandparents raising them, divorced parents or an all range of other family situations. There may be students who have lost a parent or whose parent is absent, and difficult emotions may come up if Mother’s Day or Father’s Day will be celebrated in classrooms.

With older elementary students, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can also be used as an opportunity to look at GENDER stereotypes. Students can discuss the qualities that mothers and fathers have and explore why these qualities have culturally been assigned to a specific gender. Kids may be asked to list and comment the important qualities THEIR parents should have. One of the frequent question is : What KIND of things parents DO for or with their children? "Can either a mom or dad do this?" In most cases, the answer is « Yes », and that may be why either Mothers or Fathers will be HONORED in schools, and in the kid minds from now on…

Dans un monde où les notions de genre sont revisitées, pourquoi continuons-nous encore de séparer la Fête des Mères et la Fête des Pères pour honorer nos parents ? Ne devrions-nous pas simplement avoir une journée des parents et tourner ainsi la page ? Ces "Journées spéciales" ne sont-elles pas simplement une création des fleuristes (et pour les fleuristes), ainsi que des magasins pour homme et femme ? N'est-ce pas une raison de plus pour dépenser notre argent durement gagné ?

Pourtant, célébrer et honorer les parents et les familles dans les écoles, la fête des mères et la fête des pères peut être l'occasion de reconnaître la diversité des structures familiales. Alors que certains élèves ont une mère et un père, d'AUTRES peuvent avoir deux mères, deux pères, une mère ou un père célibataire, des grands-parents qui les élèvent, des parents divorcés ou toute une gamme d'autres situations familiales.

Il peut y avoir des élèves qui ont perdu un parent ou dont le parent est absent, et des situations émotionnelles difficiles peuvent surgir si la fête des mères ou la fête des pères est célébrée dans les salles de classe.
Dans le cas des élèves plus âgés du primaire, la fête des mères et la fête des pères peuvent aussi être l'occasion d'examiner les stéréotypes liés au genre. Les élèves peuvent discuter des qualités des mères et des pères et explorer les raisons pour lesquelles ces qualités ont été culturellement attribuées à un sexe en particulier.

On peut demander aux enfants d'énumérer et de commenter les qualités importantes que LEURS parents devraient avoir. L'une des questions les plus fréquentes est.. : Quelles sont les actions que les parents font pour ou avec leurs enfants ? " Est-ce que maman ou papa peut le faire?" Dans la plupart des cas, la réponse est " Oui ", et c'est peut-être pour ces raisons-là que les Mères ou les Pères seront HONORÉS dans les écoles, et dans l'esprit des enfants à partir de maintenant......

II) Following the theme of the text,
Kids will feel sad and different when… (+ proposition) They see that their family is not the same as other kids, they ask themselves why, and some can't understand.
Kids expect caring adults….maybe more than caring mates.
I ask myself either will we go to Spain or to Portugal this year ?
Neither brother nor sister want to come FOR A HIKe in Corsica this year , I wonder why ?

III) ANOTHER TORTURE?
a) Toujours : de tout temps - We can say that sexism has always existed.
Dis toujours - GO AHEAD !
c'est toujours ça de gagné - It's better to be a step ahead. Il vaut mieux avoir une longueur d'avance.
Je n'ai toujours pas lu le journal d'aujourd'hui. I still have not read today's newspaper.

recognize (sb./sth.) Je ne l'ai pas reconnue après toutes ces années. I did not recognize her after all these years.
acknowledge (sth.) Il a reconnu avoir tort. He acknowledged he was wrong.
admit Je reconnais que mon ami avait raison. I admit that my friend was right.
THANKS A LOT to HERE4U and MAXWELL
READY FOR CORRECTION

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de icare29, postée le 10-06-2018 à 10:36:51 (S | E)
hello hERE4U ,and all hard workers , here is my work , Ok for correction .

HERE IS MY CORRECTION
In a WORLD, where gender notions HAVE BEEN REVISITING, why do we have still to separate Mother's DAY and Father's DAY to honour our parents? Shouldn't we just have a Parents' Day and get away with our lifes? Aren't these "Special Days "just a creation of (and for).. florists, as well as .. RETAILERS FOR WOMEN AND MEN ? Isn't it just another reason to spend our hard -EARNED money?

Yet, celebrating and HONORING parents and families AT school, Mother's Day and Father's Day can bring opportunities to recognise the diversity of FAMILY structures. WHEREAS some students have a mother and a father, OTHERS may have two mums, two dads, a single mum or dad, grandparents raising them, divorced parents or an all range of other family situations. There may be students who have lost a parent or whose PARENTS ARE absent, and difficult emotions may come up if EITHER Mother's Day or Father's Day will be celebrated in classrooms.

With older elementary students, BOTH Mother's Day and Father's Day can also be used as an opportunity to look INTO GENDER stereotypes. Students can discuss ABOUT qualities that mothers and fathers have and explore why THOSE qualities have culturally been assigned to a specific gender. Kids may be asked to list and comment the important qualities THEIR parents should have. One of the frequent question is : What KIND of things parents DO for or with their children? "Can either a mom or dad do this?" In most cases, the answer is « Yes », and that may be why BOTH mothers and fathers would be honoured in schools, and BE KEEPED in the MIND OF KIDS from now on?

- "Kids will feel sad and different when they realise that their family situation isn't the same as the most of the other kids

- "Kids expect caring adults during their youth and particularly when they were babies

- Either kids have lover parents and in this case they will be happy or they have absent parents and in this case they can have an unhappy youth.

Neither gifts , nor money can replace the love of parents

Thank you very much for your interesting exercise

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de joe39, postée le 10-06-2018 à 19:40:01 (S | E)
Good evening dear here4u,
My brain is fuming,
Like a puffing steam engine,
But it's a nice routine,
To get my work in,
Ready to be corrected

I) Please, help my student! He really needs you!
In a WORLD 1 where gender notions are BEING REVISED 2, why have we still separate Mother’s DAY3 and Father’s DAY 4 to honour our parents? SHOULDN’T 5 we just have a Parents’ Day and get away with ourlives?
Aren’t these “Special Days” just a creation of (and for) the florists,as well as the women and men’s retailers? Isn’t it just another reason to spend our hard EARNED 6 money?
Yet, celebrating and honouring parents and families in schools, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can bring opportunities to recognize the diversity of FAMILY 7 structures. While some students have a mother and a father, the OTHERS 8 may have two mums, two dads, a single mum or dad, grandparents raising them, divorced parents or all kind of other family situations.
There may be students who have lost a parent or whose parent is absent, and difficult emotions may come up if Mother’s Day or Father’s Day ARE 9 celebrated in classrooms.
With older elementary students, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can also be used as an opportunity to look at GENDER 10 stereotypes.Students can discuss WHICH 11 qualities (that) mothers and fathers have and explore why these qualities have culturally been assigned to a specific gender.
Kids may be asked to list and comment on the important qualities parents should have. One of the frequent question is : What KIND 12 of things CAN 12 parents do for or with their children? Can either a mom or A 13 dad do this? In most cases,the answer is « Yes », and that may be why either Mothers or Fathers ARE BEING 15 honoured in schools, and in the kid minds from
now on…
- Kids will feel sad and different when… (+ proposition)
- Kids expect caring adults….
- use « either… or » and « neither… nor » in two sentences of
your own.

Kids will feel sad and different when, due to the lack or absence of both or one of their parents, they can’t be at ease in case the proposition related to celebrate Mother or Father Day in school should find application. Therefore better leave this “delicate” matter out of the school, which have to avoid every topic that could lead to harm the moral and emotional balance of the elementary school pupils.

Kids expect caring adults to mentorg them and explain to them the way in which the family structures are being changed.
Anyway it should be avoided the kids would be imbued with stereotypes and gender notions, which they could unlikely understand
because of their tender age and because of the shock that could arise in the soul of those, whose familiar structure would be somehow different from the traditional one.

An orphan of both parents, could neither appreciate nor sincerely participate in Father’s /Mother’s Day, celebrated in class.

The class didn't like the documentary focused on the so called gender theory. Either they were chatting along or building paper planes or reading comics.

III) ANOTHER TORTURE?
I ALWAYS remember, when in my teens, I used to stay in the summer, at sundown, on my bed-room's windowsill, looking at the Gulf's wonderful sight.
Love that will AYE endure forever.

STILL remains in my mind the far-off but vivid vision of the black painted hulls and multicoloured sails of bragozzi moored in row at the fish market's quayside, whose barefoot crews were chatting in their chanting Venetian dialect, while repairing nets or cooking polenta and grilling fish aboard.

The defendant elected TO PLEAD guilty in order to obtain a lenient sentence.

Notwithstanding he were amid the huge crowd of supporters entering the stadium, the police were able to RECOGNIZE the runaway, thanks to the unusual haircut, that evidently he had had no time to modify.

The cavalry unit who SCOURED THE GROUND, reported that the Mamelukes army was ready to give battle in front of Embabah. The order : "Form squares!* The donkeys and the scientists in the centre!"** (Formez les carrés! Les ânes et les savants au centre !), was immediately given and after a short time, the Battle of the Pyramids began.

Reference: Napoleon’s campaign of Egypt.The Battle of the Pyramids.

* The square was the formation a unit had to form in order to effectively withstand against a heavy cavalry offensive on the battlefield.
** the square’s centre was the (relatively) most sure area of the formation and here, both scientists and donkeys were treated with the greatest attention. The first ones for obvious reasons, the second ones because they were the French army’s only means of transportation of supplies and ammunition, essential for his survival.

I thank you very much for your nice and demanding exercise and
Remain, wishing you a great week.
So long.
Joe39

-------------------
Modifié par joe39 le 13-06-2018 19:20

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de maya92, postée le 11-06-2018 à 16:37:52 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,

I) Please, help my student! He really needs you! Pas d’avalanche de fautes, cette fois encore … Il n’y en a « QUE » 15. Mais il vous faudra les détecter et les corriger. (Attention ! Vous pourriez être tentés de trouver plus de fautes que les 15 annoncées, mais ce serait vouloir pénaliser les « régionalismes » et expressions familières. Ne le faites pas ! Ne « sanctionnez » que "la grammaire/ syntaxe/ vocabulaire » fautifs." )

In a world*(1)where gender notions are being revised*(2) why have we still to separate*(3) Mother’s Day and Father’s Day to honour our parents ? Couldn’t*(4) we just have a Parents’ Day and get on with*(5) our lives ? Aren’t these “special days” just a creation of (and for) the florists as well as for*(6) women and men retailers ? Isn’t it just another reason to spend our hard earned*(7) money? Yet, in*(8)celebrating and honouring parents and families at school, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can bring opportunities to recognize the diversity of family*(9) structures. While some students have a mother and a father, others* (10)may have two mums, two dads, a single mum or dad, grandparents raising them, divorced parents or a wide*(11) range of different family situations. There may be students who have lost a parent or whose parents*(12) are absent, and difficult emotions may come up if Mother’s or Father’s Day is*(13) celebrated in class. With older elementary students Mother’s and Father’s Day can also be used as an opportunity to look at gender stereotypes. Students can discuss the qualities that fathers and mothers have and discuss why these qualities have been assigned to a specific gender. Kids may be asked to list and comment the main*(14) qualities that parents should have. One of the most frequent questions is : What kind of things do parents do for or with their children ? Can either a mom or a dad do this ? In most cases, the answer is ‘yes’ and that may be why either mothers or fathers are honoured in schools and in the kids’*(15) mind from now on..

III – Another torture

TOUJOURS /

-I ALWAYS follow the same way when I go to work
-You’re STILL wearing that old dress, you seem to be in rags !
-I’ll love you FOREVER !
-You’re late AS EVER
-ALL THE TIME, the detective knew who was the murderer

RECONNAITRE :

- I’ve hardly RECOGNIZED him, now he looks like an old bag !
- You must ADMIT that this flat is far more comfortable than the first one
- We must ACKNOWLEDGE him as the leader of the gang
- The soldiers were sent to RECONNOITER in the country

For the first time I've tried these exercises and I've enjoyed - Must be sort of masochism for I had to cudgel my mind to do them - Please be lenient !

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de here4u, postée le 11-06-2018 à 17:11:43 (S | E)
Hello MAYA!

Ils sont plus "ludiques", moins "sérieux" et académiques que les traductions ... plus "tordus" aussi ... plus difficiles à mon avis ... mais je vous rappelle, "you don't have to do all of them"... Maya a tout compris ... Le principal est de s'amuser et de se faire fonctionner le cerveau !

Je vais bientôt commencer les transferts !

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de chocolatcitron, postée le 11-06-2018 à 22:32:36 (S | E)
Message de here4u posté le 30-05-2018 - vendredi 15 juin tard. FINISHED.
Hello my dear Here4u and Maxwell! Thanks for your great new exercises.
Hi everybody!

Here is my work:
I) Please, help my student! He really needs you! Pas d’avalanche de fautes, cette fois encore … Il n’y en a « QUE » 15. Mais il vous faudra les détecter et les corriger.
In a WORLD where gender notions are revising, why have we still SEPARATED MOTHER'S DAY FROM FATHER'S DAY to honour our parents? Mustn’t we just have a Parents’ Day and get away with our lives? Aren’t these “Special Days” just a creation of (and for) the florists, as well as the women and men’s retailers? Isn’t it just another reason to spend our hard earning money?
Yet, celebrating and honouring parents and families AT schools, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can bring opportunities to RECOGNIZE the diversity of FAMILY structures. While some students have a mother and a father, the OTHERS may have two mums, two dads, a single mum or dad, grandparents raising them, divorced parents or an all range of other family situations. There may be students who have lost a parent or whose parent is absent, and difficult emotions may come up if Mother’s Day or Father’s Day will be celebrated in classrooms.
With older elementary students, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can also be used as an opportunity to look at GENDER stereotypes. Students can discuss the qualities that mothers and fathers have and explore why these qualities have culturally been assigned to a specific gender. Kids may be asked to list and comment the important qualities parents should have. One of THESE frequent QUESTIONS is : What KIND of THING do parents do for or with their children? Can either a mom or dad do this? In most cases, the answer is « Yes », and that may be why either Mothers or Fathers will be honoured in schools, and in the KIDS' minds from now on…

Kids will feel sad and different when their classmates are pointing at them, because they don't belong to the social norm.
Les enfants seront tristes et différents quand leurs camarades de classe les montreront du doigt car ils n'appartiennent pas à la norme sociale.

Kids expect caring adults whatever woud be the special feathers of their own family!
Les enfants attendent des adultes attentionnés quelques soient les particularités de leur famille.

No matter that a child belongs to a special family or not, he always reaches about his own origins, his real own parents, in order to understand why and how he was borned; he will search for his ancestors EITHER his family gives him real information OR not !
Peu importe qu'un enfant appartienne à une famille "spéciale" ou pas, il recherchera toujours ses propres origines, ses vrais parents personnels, afin de comprendre pourquoi et comment il est né ; il enquêtera pour connaître ses ancêtres, que sa famille lui donne les bonnes informations ou pas.

NEITHER my mother (she died when I was eight), NOR my father during all his life long (he died when he was 84 years old), told me the truth about my origins, and now, I have been searching some pieces of information for my sister and I on the Websites!
Ni ma mère (elle est décédée quand j'avais 8 ans), ni mon père tout au long de sa longue vie (il est décédé à 84 ans), ne m'a dit la vérité sur mes origines, et maintenant, je recherche des brides d'information pour ma sœur et moi sur Internet.

III) ANOTHER TORTURE? Inspirée par Maxwell
a) A partir du mot français suivant : « toujours », trouver au moins 3 traductions anglaises différentes, possibles (que vous utiliserez chacune dans une phrase qui explicitera le contexte dans lequel on peut l'utiliser, l'éventuel registre de langue associé, et les nuances de sens.) Ces 3 expressions anglaises ne devront (si possible) pas être interchangeables, et chacune devrait apporter quelque chose de différent. (3 expressions, pas plus ... )

TOUJOURS :
toujours adv (répétition d'un fait) (regularly).

it's better to be a step ahead expr C'est toujours ça de pris ! Expr familier (C'est déjà une avancée.)

être toujours bon à prendre : (être déjà appréciable) be better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick. = ce n'est pas ce que j'espérais, mais c'est toujours bon à prendre.

My sentence :
When I was younger, I REGULARLY went on holiday alone : I could do all that I wanted, when I decided it, go where my car and my brainwave drove me, fully free, without any objection about my own choices: I thought:« IT'S BETTER TO BE A STEP AHEAD!» And at the end, even if it was not that I was hoping for, but it was BETTER THAN A POKE IN THE EYE WITH A BLUNT STICK!

Quand j'étais plus jeune, je partais TOUJOURS en vacances seule : je pouvais faire tout ce que je voulais, quand je l'avais décidé, aller où ma voiture et mon inspiration me conduisaient, complètement libre, sans aucune objection à propos de mes propres choix : je pensais «  C'est TOUJOURS ça de pris ! » ? Et finalement, même si ce n'était pas ce que j'espérais, ... mais c'était TOUJOURS bon à prendre !

b) Même chose pour l'expression « reconnaître » …
RECONNAÎTRE :
reconnaître le corps : to identify the body
She was called to the hospital to IDENTIFY her husband's body.
On l'a appelée à l'hôpital pour reconnaître le corps de son mari.

(DROIT) [+ enfant, dette, droit] : to acknowledge
When a guilty ACKNOWLEDGES his facts, the merciful judge shortened his sentence.
Quand un coupable reconnaît ses faits, le juge se montre plus clément et abrège sa sentence.

(identifier) : recognize vtr (UK)
She really RECOGNIZED the guy by his scars on his face, his odour, and by his widow 's peak !
Elle a reconnu/identifié le type par ses cicatrices sur le visage, son odeur particulière et l'implantation de ses cheveux.

I give the force back to you for marking and sending our works: have a great and very sweet week!

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de maxwell, postée le 14-06-2018 à 20:44:18 (S | E)
FINISHED
Hello Here4U
Thanks a lot for these great exercises!

I) Help my student:
In a WORLD where gender notions are BEING REVISED, why DO we still HAVE TO separate Mother's DAY and Father's DAY to honour our parents? SHOULDN'T we just have a Parents' Day and get away with our lives? Aren't these ?Special Days? just a creation of (and for) [] florists, as well as [] women and men's retailers? Isn't it just another reason to spend our HARD-EARNED money?
Yet, celebrating and honouring parents and families in schools FOR Mother's Day and Father's Day can bring opportunities to recognise the diversity of FAMILY structures. While some students have a mother and a father, the OTHERS may have two mums, two dads, a single mum or dad, grandparents raising them, divorced parents or A WHOLE range of other family situations. There may be students who have lost a parent or whose parent is absent, and difficult emotions may come up if Mother's Day or Father's Day IS celebrated in classrooms.
With older elementary students, Mother's Day and Father's Day can also be used as an opportunity to look at GENDER stereotypes. Students can discuss the qualities that mothers and fathers have and explore why these qualities have culturally been assigned to a specific gender. Kids may be asked to list and comment the important qualities parents should have. One of the frequent QUESTIONS is : What KIND of things do parents do for or with their children? Can either a mom or dad do this? In most cases, the answer is « Yes », and that may be why BOTH Mothers AND Fathers will be honoured in schools, and in the KIDS' minds from now on?

II) Make your own sentences:
- Kids will feel sad and different when they realise that having a mum and a dad instead of two parents of the same gender is mostly considered to be better for a child.
- Kids expect caring adults to love and support them under all circumstances.
-Will an orphan celebrate either Mother's day or Father's day ? I guess not.
-How many countries do you think celebrate neither Mother's Day nor Father's Day? (I don't know the answer!)

III) Another torture? Reconnaître
NB : orthographe : recognize ; recognise (UK)

1) identifier :
1a) identifier comme qqn ou qqch qu'on connaît déjà, parce qu'on se souvient l'avoir connu/vu, situer, resituer,remettre qqn : recognize, identify, know, place, (en élargissant à se rappeler : recall, recollect, remember)
=>"Hey! Jerry!" "Uh! You seem vaguely familiar, but I'm afraid I can't PLACE you" "As for me, I KNEW you as soon as I set eyes on you. I'm David Addison! We were in the same class in the ninth grade" "Of course! Now I RECOGNISE you!"

1b) percevoir/apercevoir, distinguer : recognize, pick sb out, distinguish, discern, (slang) make out, spot, pinpoint:
=>There were too many people and I couldn't DISTINGUISH my cousins at first but I finally PICKED OUT John and David from the crowd.

1c) retrouver un aspect de la vraie personnalité de qqn ("je reconnais bien là sa...") : recognize (there), be typical of, be definitely there
=>He's spent months and months talking to them and in the end, no decision has been made. That's TYPICAL of him! I RECOGNISE his way of delaying and procrastinating. His hesitant mind IS DEFINITELY THERE.

2) admettre, accepter
2a) admettre que qqn avait raison, que qqch est vrai, concéder, convenir, accréditer, valider, confesser/avouer (ses fautes) : reconnaître un problème, une défaite, une dette, les faits, un enfant (et en assumer les responsabilités...) : acknowledge, confess (to) sth, avow, (slang) fess up, (slang) come clean about, (slang) own up, admit (to) sth, recognize, concede, allow that, grant, accredit, validate, accept, agree, acquiesce,
=> I don't understand why you're leaving the spy agency. I'll GRANT you that you take your life in your hands every waking moment of every waking day, but you have to ADMIT that it's steady work.

2b) mettre qqch au crédit de qqn ; en parlant des compétences ou des actions de qqn: admettre, saluer, rendre hommage à, rendre justice à en manifestant de la gratitude : admit, accept, pay tribute to, give recognition to/for, acknowledge sb as..., give sb credit for sth , see the merit, salute, applaud, show appreciation, appreciate, show approval, give (official) thanks, express gratitude, value, honour, reward, prize
=> I want to GIVE CREDIT to this young man for saving her life. I'm sure everyone SEES its MERIT, and SALUTES his courage.

2c) Accepter/autoriser officiellement, considérer comme qualifié/légitime/légal/valide (ex : pour un Etat, une institution, une autorité...) : recognize (the authority), acknowledge, accept, know, approve, give approval, ratify, legitimize (UK : legitimise), accredit, sanction,
=> Most of the member states of the United Nations have officially RECOGNISED the state of Palestine. Thirty years ago, the General Assembly ACKNOWLEDGED the proclamation of this state.

3) Explorer/visiter/inspecter/se familiariser avec un lieu à l'avance (plus souvent utilisé dans : "partir en reconnaissance"), battre l'estrade : Look over, have a look around, (US) get the lay of the land, (UK) get the lie of the land, (US) reconnoiter the terrain, (UK)reconnoitre the terrain, (slang US) recon, (slang UK) recce, inspect, survey, explore,
=> A few months before the D-Day landings in Normandy, the beaches had already been RECONNOITRED.

III) Another torture: Toujours :

A) TOUT LE TEMPS, mais avec des nuances:
-[PASSE] de tout temps, tout le temps, constamment : ont toujours existé= always, from time immemorial, since the dawn of time ; de toujours/ de longue date : lifelong companion, of old ; depuis toujours : for a long time ; toujours la même histoire : same old story
-[FUTUR] définitivement , pour toujours, pour de bon, à jamais, éternellement, de façon pérenne, de façon permanente, immuablement: always, ever, evermore, ever after, forever, forevermore, for good, for keeps, for all time, for eternity, permanently, perennially, perpetually, eternally, everlastingly, indelibly, immutably, WILL
-[CONTINUITE SANS FIN] continûment, continuellement, constamment, sans cesse, incessamment, à tout bout de champ, à chaque instant, à longueur de journée, en permanence, tout le temps : always, endlessly, ceaselessly, unceasingly, incessantly, persistently, unrelentingly, constantly, every second, all the time, at all times, all day long, day and night, day in, day out, at every turn, at every opportunity, time and time again, twenty-four/seven, continuously, uninterruptedly
-[OCCURRENCE CERTAINE] systématiquement, à chaque fois, sans faute, inévitablement, invariablement, immanquablement, avec constance : always, every time, each time, all the time, invariably, unchanginly, consistently, WILL

=>He was a LIFELONG companion : I'd known him FOR A LONG TIME. One day, it became more serious between us as he told me 'I love you FOREVER' while we were shopping in a TWENTY-FOUR SEVEN store. He would say ' I'll ALWAYS love you" DAY IN DAY OUT. But he's met another woman and yesterday, we had a fight and he left FOR GOOD. Men WILL be men! But now I know I'll miss him EVERY SECOND, and I'll hope for his return ETERNALLY.

B) Encore en ce moment, jusqu'à présent/maintenant, à ce jour (exemple : toujours pas satisfait) : still, yet (dans une phrase négative), at the present time, for the present, up to now, up until now, up to this time, for now, thus far
- encore une fois, une nouvelle fois, à nouveau : again
- encore et toujours : again and again
- continuer aussi longtemps/autant que tu veux : cause toujours : keep talking
- toujours est-il que : the fact remains that
- Rester, continuer à exister dans le présent, prolonger ce qui pourrait/peut/devrait/doit s'arrêter, persister, persévérer : remain, continue, keep (on/up), go on, go straight on, carry on, persist, stay, draw out, maintain, (UK) plough on (US) plow on

=> "Jamie! One hour ago, when I left home, you were playing that game. And now, you're STILL playing? AGAIN AND AGAIN, you're gonna answer that you didn't CARRY ON doing that during all that time. The fact REMAINS that you have homework left to do. Don't you think it's time for you to do it? " "KEEP TALKING" he thought. "... You haven't answered YET. I'm STILL waiting for your answer."

C) Au moins, déjà, quand même, très probablement :
- essaie/viens toujours (invitation) : anyway, anyways
- essaie toujours ! (menace) : just you try it!
- dis toujours : go ahead !
- au moins, déjà (c'est toujours ça de pris , c'est toujours mieux que rien) : at least, already
- ça peut toujours servir : it might come in handy

=>"I don't know if I can say it" "GO AHEAD!" "Well, I'm afraid of doing that. " "Try ANYWAY. What have you got to lose? " "I've never done it before." "You'll have fun. AT LEAST, that's something" "OK. I'll bring that stuff : It MIGHT come in handy"

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de here4u, postée le 15-06-2018 à 16:31:51 (S | E)
Hello!

Vous devriez tous avoir reçu vos corrections. Si tel n'est pas le cas, n'hésitez pas à protester très vite !

Pour ceux qui hésitent encore, il reste quelques heures pour poster ...

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de here4u, postée le 15-06-2018 à 23:17:52 (S | E)
HELLO! Dear Friends!

Félicitations à tous ! Vous avez osé ... et souvent très bien réussi ...
Voici la récapitulation des détails qui ont pu vous échapper ...

I) Help my poor student!

In a world (1) where gender notions are being revised (2), why do we still have (3) separate Mother’s Days and Father’s days (4) to honour our parents? Shouldn’t we just have a Parents’ Day and get on (5) with our lives? Aren’t these “Special Days” just a creation of (and for) the florists, as well as the women’s and men’s retailers (4)? Isn’t it just another reason to spend our hard earned money (6)?
Yet, celebrating and honouring parents and families in schools, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can bring opportunities to recognise the diversity of family structures (7). While some students have a mother and a father, others (8) may have two mums, two dads, a single mum or dad, grandparents raising them, divorced parents or a whole range (9) of other family situations. There may be students who have lost a parent or whose parent is absent, and difficult emotions may come up if Mother’s Day or Father’s Day are celebrated in classrooms.
With older elementary students, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can also be used as an opportunity to look at gender stereotypes. Students can discuss the qualities that mothers and fathers have and explore why these qualities have culturally been assigned to a specific gender. Kids may be asked to list and comment on (10) the important qualities parents should have. One of the frequent questions (11) is : What kinds of things do parents do for or with their children? Can either a mom or dad do these (12)? In most cases, the answer is « Yes », and that may be why neither Mothers nor (13) Fathers will be honoured in schools, and in the kids’ minds from now on…

(1) Ne pas confondre « word » = un mot/ et « world »= le monde
(2) Ici, deux « renseignements » se cumulent : forme en –ing indiquant que l’action est en cours, qu’elle se déroule au moment de la narration, et la forme passive : Sujet + auxiliaire du passif = BE + participe passé , l'action est subie ;
(3)« Why do we still have ? » // « Why have we still got … ? » : have est soit traité comme un verbe qui a besoin de l’auxiliaire « do » pour être mis à la forme interrogative, soit comme un auxiliaire lui-même. Dans les deux cas, faire très attention à la place de « still »= encore.
(4) Rappel : Lorsqu’un cas possessif s’applique à deux possesseurs, les deux prennent ‘s (ou ‘ si le possesseur se termine par un s). S’il s’applique à l’un d’eux, il n’y a alors qu’un seul possesseur … Ici : Mother’s Day and Father’s Day// the women’s and men’s retailers.
(5) Ne pas confondre les particules adverbiales qui changent totalement le sens du verbe (ici, le verbe « get » test N° 118801) To get on with one’s life // to get away with (qui vous avez le plus souvent utilisé), ont des sens bien différents.
(6) Ici, ne pas confondre la forme en –ing qui a un sens actif et la forme en –ed qui a un sens passif et indique que l’action était subie par le sujet (hard earned money= difficilement gagné).test N° 114021
(7) « the diversity of family structures » = complément de nom ; « family structures »= nom composé (par deux noms) => le premier reste invariable (cf. tooth brush)
(8) Par opposition à « some students », « others » = les autres élèves en général.
(9) « a whole range of… » a été une pierre d’achoppement pour tous … Un seul devoir n’a pas confondu l'emploi de « all/ whole », mais a détourné la difficulté, sans la surmonter … Revoir ce point : leçons 106353 – 116939.
(10) Ne pas oublier la particule adverbiale de « comment on » + complément.
(11) « One of the + pluriel » => one of the frequent questions …
(12) « these » = pluriel de this = mis pour « kinds of things »
(13) Soucieuses de ne pas blesser les enfants dont la structure familiale ne correspond pas à « la norme », de nombreuses équipes pédagogiques ont renoncé au petit « cadeau » (travail manuel, en général) préparé (avec amour, pourtant) par les enfants à l’école maternelle et primaire. Dans beaucoup d’écoles européennes dorénavant, ni le « père », ni la « mère » ne sont plus célébrés … Dans certaines écoles, deux petits travaux d’égale importance sont effectués par l’enfant qui les remet à … qui il veut aux dates désignées … C’est sans doute ce que l’on appelle le « Politiquement Correct » … lorsqu'il n'est pas bien compris ...

- Kids will feel sad and different when they discover their family structure is different from most. (… pas de futur .)
- Kids expect caring adults to give them affection and material comfort. (la structure était : to expect somebody TO do something.)
As they didn ‘t know if they should either celebrate or ignore mothers or fathers, many schools decided to honour none of them.
Neither mums nor dads will now be celebrated in many European schools.

III) « Another torture »:
a) RECONNAITRE : Travail parfait, très complet (même trop!) de Maxwell. Un grand à lui ...
1) identifier :
1a) identifier comme qqn ou qqch qu'on connaît déjà, parce qu'on se souvient l'avoir connu/vu, situer, resituer,remettre qqn : recognize, identify, know, place, (en élargissant à se rappeler : recall, recollect, remember)
=>"Hey! Jerry!" "Uh! You seem vaguely familiar, but I'm afraid I can't PLACE you" "As for me, I KNEW you as soon as I set eyes on you. I'm David Addison! We were in the same class in the ninth grade" "Of course! Now I RECOGNISE you!"
1b) percevoir/apercevoir, distinguer : recognize, pick sb out, distinguish, discern, (slang) make out, spot, pinpoint:
=>There were too many people and I couldn't DISTINGUISH my cousins at first but I finally PICKED OUT John and David from the crowd.
1c) retrouver un aspect de la vraie personnalité de qqn ("je reconnais bien là sa...") : recognize (there), be typical of, be definitely there
=>He's spent months and months talking to them and in the end, no decision has been made. That's TYPICAL of him! I RECOGNISE his way of delaying and procrastinating. His hesitant mind IS DEFINITELY THERE.
2) admettre, accepter
2a) admettre que qqn avait raison, que qqch est vrai, concéder, convenir, accréditer, valider, confesser/avouer (ses fautes) : reconnaître un problème, une défaite, une dette, les faits, un enfant (et en assumer les responsabilités...) : acknowledge, confess (to) sth, avow, (slang) fess up, (slang) come clean about, (slang) own up, admit (to) sth, recognize, concede, allow that, grant, accredit, validate, accept, agree, acquiesce,
=> I don't understand why you're leaving the spy agency. I'll GRANT you that you take your life in your hands every waking moment of every waking day, but you have to ADMIT that it's steady work.
2b) mettre qqch au crédit de qqn ; en parlant des compétences ou des actions de qqn: admettre, saluer, rendre hommage à, rendre justice à en manifestant de la gratitude : admit, accept, pay tribute to, give recognition to/for, acknowledge sb as..., give sb credit for sth , see the merit, salute, applaud, show appreciation, appreciate, show approval, give (official) thanks, express gratitude, value, honour, reward, prize
=> I want to GIVE CREDIT to this young man for saving her life. I'm sure everyone SEES his MERIT, and SALUTES his courage.
2c) Accepter/autoriser officiellement, considérer comme qualifié/légitime/légal/valide (ex : pour un Etat, une institution, une autorité...) : recognize (the authority), acknowledge, accept, know, approve, give approval, ratify, legitimize (UK : legitimise), accredit, sanction,
=> Most of the member states of the United Nations have officially RECOGNISED the state of Palestine. Thirty years ago, the General Assembly ACKNOWLEDGED the proclamation of this state.

3) Explorer/visiter/inspecter/se familiariser avec un lieu à l'avance (plus souvent utilisé dans : "partir en reconnaissance"), battre l'estrade : Look over, have a look around, (US) get the lay of the land, (UK) get the lie of the land, (US) reconnoiter the terrain, (UK)reconnoitre the terrain, (slang US) recon, (slang UK) recce, inspect, survey, explore,
=> A few months before the D-Day landings in Normandy, the beaches had already been RECONNOITRED.

B) TOUJOURS :
1) TOUT LE TEMPS, mais avec des nuances:
-[Passé] de tout temps, tout le temps, constamment : ont toujours existé = always, from time immemorial, since the dawn of time ; de toujours/ de longue date : lifelong companion, of old ; depuis toujours : for a long time ; toujours la même histoire : same old story
-[Futur] définitivement , pour toujours, pour de bon, à jamais, éternellement, de façon pérenne, de façon permanente, immuablement: always, ever, evermore, ever after, forever, forevermore, for good, for keeps, for all time, for eternity, permanently, perennially, perpetually, eternally, everlastingly, indelibly, immutably, WILL
-[Continuité sans fin] continûment, continuellement, constamment, sans cesse, incessamment, à tout bout de champ, à chaque instant, à longueur de journée, en permanence, tout le temps : always, endlessly, ceaselessly, unceasingly, incessantly, persistently, unrelentingly, constantly, every second, all the time, at all times, all day long, day and night, day in, day out, at every turn, at every opportunity, time and time again, twenty-four/seven, continuously, uninterruptedly
-[Occurrence incertaine] systématiquement, à chaque fois, sans faute, inévitablement, invariablement, immanquablement, avec constance : always, every time, each time, all the time, invariably, unchanginly, consistently, WILL

=>He was a LIFELONG companion : I'd known him FOR A LONG TIME. One day, it became more serious between us as he told me 'I love you FOREVER' while we were shopping in a TWENTY-FOUR SEVEN store. He would say "I'll ALWAYS love you" DAY IN, DAY OUT. But he's met another woman and yesterday, we had a fight and he left FOR GOOD. Men WILL be men! But now I know I'll miss him EVERY SECOND, and I'll hope for his return ETERNALLY.

2) Encore en ce moment, jusqu'à présent/maintenant, à ce jour (exemple : toujours pas satisfait) : still, yet (dans une phrase négative), at the present time, for the present, up to now, up until now, up to this time, for now, thus far
- encore une fois, une nouvelle fois, à nouveau : again
- encore et toujours : again and again
- continuer aussi longtemps/autant que tu veux : cause toujours : keep talking
- toujours est-il que : the fact remains that
- Rester, continuer à exister dans le présent, prolonger ce qui pourrait/ peut/ devrait/ doit s'arrêter, persister, persévérer : remain, continue, keep (on/up), go on, go straight on, carry on, persist, stay, draw out, maintain, (UK) plough on (US) plow on

=> "Jamie! One hour ago, when I left home, you were playing that game. And now, you're STILL playing? AGAIN AND AGAIN, you're gonna answer that you didn't CARRY ON doing that during all that time. The fact REMAINS that you have some homework left to do. Don't you think it's time for you to do it? " "KEEP TALKING" he thought. "... You haven't answered YET. I'm STILL waiting for your answer."
3) Au moins, déjà, quand même, très probablement :
- essaie/viens toujours (invitation) : anyway, anyways
- essaie toujours ! (menace) : just you try it!
- dis toujours : go ahead !
- au moins, déjà (c'est toujours ça de pris , c'est toujours mieux que rien) : at least, already
- ça peut toujours servir : it might come in handy
=>"I don't know if I can say it" "GO AHEAD!" "Well, I'm afraid of doing that. " "Try ANYWAY. What have you got to lose? " "I've never done it before." "You'll have fun. AT LEAST, that's something" "OK. I'll bring that stuff : It MIGHT come in handy"

OU LA VERSION COURTE : Maya!
TOUJOURS /

-I ALWAYS follow the same way when I go to work.
-You’re STILL wearing that old dress, you seem to be in rags !
-I’ll love you FOREVER !
-You’re late AS EVER.
-ALL THE TIME, the detective knew who was the murderer

RECONNAITRE :

- I’ve hardly RECOGNIZED him, now he looks like an old bag!
- You must ADMIT that this flat is far more comfortable than the first one.
- We must ACKNOWLEDGE him as the leader of the gang.
- The soldiers were sent to RECONNOITER in the country.

BRAVO et à tous de vos efforts et de votre persévérance ! Bravo pour toutes vos trouvailles ! s!

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de maxwell, postée le 16-06-2018 à 09:29:06 (S | E)
Thanks a lot for the correction
Petite correction : III) b) TOUJOURS au lieu de ENCORE

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de here4u, postée le 16-06-2018 à 10:54:27 (S | E)

Hello again!

Correction effectuée! Maxwell.

Comme cela allait sans dire ou écrire, j'ai "oublié" (de spécifier) que le travail n'était pas terminé et que j'avais besoin de volontaires pour le "follow up work"... (traduire le texte corrigé de mon élève et les phrases du II)
Merci à vous qui vous déclarerez !

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de maxwell, postée le 16-06-2018 à 11:02:37 (S | E)
Je prends les phrases du II)

- Kids will feel sad and different when they discover their family structure is different from most.
Les enfants seront tristes et se sentiront différents quand ils se rendront compte que leur structure familiale est différente de la plupart des autres.

- Kids expect caring adults to give them affection and material comfort.
Les enfants attendent des adultes attentionnés qu'ils leur donnent de l'affection et le confort matériel.

-As they didn't know if they should either celebrate or ignore mothers or fathers, many schools decided to honour none of them.
Comme elles ne savaient pas si elles devaient célébrer ou ignorer la fête des mères ou celle des pères, de nombreuses écoles ont décidé de n'en honorer aucune.

-Neither mums nor dads will now be celebrated in many European schools.
Ni les mamans ni les papas ne seront fêtés dans de nombreuses écoles européennes.

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de here4u, postée le 17-06-2018 à 08:29:35 (S | E)
Hello!

C’est PARFAIT Maxwell, et .

(Je suggère qu’il y ait au moins deux volontaires pour le texte - facile, mais long ...) Merci d’avance ...

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de chocolatcitron, postée le 17-06-2018 à 21:47:05 (S | E)
Hello my dear Here4u,
Tu as un typo en :

III) « Another torture »:
a) RECONNAITRE : Travail parfait, très complet (même trop!) de Maxwell. Un grnd à lui ...

Merci pour tout ce travail !
Bonne soirée !

Réponse : Rack your brains and help!/ 23 de here4u, postée le 25-06-2018 à 17:39:05 (S | E)
Hello!

Voici la traduction faite par Chocolatcitron ( Choco!), légèrement remaniée.
Un grand bravo à elle et encore MERCI !

"Dans un monde où l'on a révisé où la notion de genre est en révision, pourquoi devrionsdevons-nous encore séparer le jour de la Fête des Mères du jour de la fête des Pères pour rendre hommage à nos parents ? Ne devrions-nous pas avoir simplement un le Jour des Parents, en accord avec nos vies ? Ces jours spéciaux ne sont-ils pas créés par les fleuristes et pour leur bénéfice commercial, aussi bien que pour les détaillants pour femme ou pour homme ? N'est-ce pas simplement une autre raison de dépenser notre argent si durement gagné ?
Cependant, célébrer et honorer nos parents et familles à l'école, le jour de la fête des Mères et le jour de la Fête des Pères apportent l'occasion de reconnaître la diversité des structures familiales. Alors que certains étudiants ont un père et une mère, d'autres peuvent avoir deux mamans, deux papas, une mère ou un père célibataire, être élevés par des grands-parents, des parents divorcés, ou toute autre sorte de situations familiales. Il peut y avoir aussi des étudiants qui ont perdu un parent, (orphelin), ou dont le parent est absent, et des émotions douloureuses peuvent les envahir si la Fête des mères et la fête des Pères sont célébrées dans les classes.
Avec des élèves plus âgés de l'école élémentaire, la fête des Mères et la Fête des Pères peuvent aussi servir comme occasion d'observer les stéréotypes appliqués aux genres. Les étudiants peuvent discuter des qualités maternelles ou paternelles, et explorer pourquoi ces qualités ont été attribuées plus spécifiquement à un genre. On peut demander aux enfants de faire la liste et de commenter les qualités importantes que les parents devraient avoir. Une des principales questions est : quelles sont les choses que les parents font pour ou avec leurs enfants ? Un père ou une mère peuvent-ils les faire indifféremment ? Dans la plupart des cas, la réponse est « OUI », et c'est peut être pourquoi ni les mères, ni les pères ne seront plus honorés dans les écoles et dans l'esprit des petits, à partir de maintenant ? "

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux