Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

I am committed to helping you !! (1)

<< Exercices du forum || En bas

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE

I am committed to helping you !!
Message de marie11 posté le 01-10-2007 à 17:02:35 (S | E | F | I)

Bonjour.

Récemment, j'ai lu sur le forum l'intervention suivante :

Bonsoir,

J'ai du mal à traduire la phrase suivante:
« The federal government is committed to helping fight this epidemic.»

Pourquoi le verbe "to commit" est suivi de "to helping" en non pas de "to help" (infinif)? (sic)

The expression " be committed to " (and others formed in the same way) often cause learners confusion, because, when studying gerunds and infinitives, they learn that the word to is usually followed by an infinitive:

I want to go.
I need to see you.
I promise to give it to him.

Because of this, learners tend to write/say I look forward to see you, etc. This is incorrect.

The reason for this lies in the fact that the word to can be an infinitive marker (as in the three examples above), but it can also be a preposition. When to is a preposition, it can be followed either by a noun or by the ─ING form of the verb:

I look forward to our meeting.
I look forward to meeting you.

Après cette courte introduction " Made in the U.K.", je vous propose de traduire les phrases suivantes :

Correction : mercredi 10 octobre 2007
Niveau :

Remarque importante :

ZEN et NICK27 ont déjà fait leurs propositions, mais ils peuvent encore modifier leurs phrases.
Pour les autres, il est implicite qu'ils doivent employer des verbes tels que :
VERBE + to + ING

1- J'étais à court de cigarettes,et je fus réduit à fumer les mégots laissés dans les cendriers.
2- Trois pages entières du journal d'aujourd'hui sont consacrées à relater l'attentat à la bombe d'hier.
3- Je désapprouve qu'elle sorte chaque soir, et qu'elle ne me dise pas où elle va.
4- Les Jones sont impatients de rejoindre leurs enfants en Australie.
5- Je ne pensais jamais qu'elle s'abaisserait à mentir.
6- Il faut que j'arrive à nettoyer ma voiture le weekend prochain.
7- Après dîner, mon père a l'habitude de fumer une pipe, tout en lisant son journal.
8- Je savais pertinemment que le livre qu'elle m'avait prêté était plutôt rébarbatif, et je n'avais pas envie de le lire entièrement. Mais, comme je voulais m'en faire une idée, je m'étais borné à parcourir quelques passages au hasard.

-------------------
Modifié par marie11 le 01-10-2007 19:54

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de zen, postée le 01-10-2007 à 17:58:11 (S | E)
I give it a try, thanks!

1- I was running out of cigarettes so I was reduced to smoking the butts left in ashtrays.
2- Three whole pages of today's paper are committed to talking about yesterday's terrorist bomb attack.
3- I disapprove of her going out every night and not telling me where she goes.
4- The Jones are looking forward to catching up with their children in Australia.
5- I didn't think she would abase herself by lying.
6- I need to manage to clean my car for next week-end.
7- After diner my father is used to smoking a pipe while reading the newspaper.
8- I knew well enough that the book she had lent me was quite boring, and I didn't feel like reading all of it. But, as I wanted to get a pretty good picture of it, I was determined to read a few pages randomly.

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de nick27, postée le 01-10-2007 à 19:00:27 (S | E)
1. I'd smoked all my cigarettes up that's why I was reduced to smoking the cigarette butts left in the ashtrays.
2. Three whole pages of today's paper were devoted to telling yesterday's bomb attack.
3. I disapprove of her going out and not telling me where she goes every night.
4. The Jones are looking forward to joining their children in Australia.
5. I never thought she's descend to telling lies.
6. I'll definitely have to clean my car next weekend.
7. After dinner, my father is used to smoking his pipe reading the newspaper.
8. I knew very well the book she'd lent me was rather offputting and I didn't feel like reading it completely. But since I wanted to get an idea of it, I set my mind on glancing through a few passages.

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de titom41, postée le 01-10-2007 à 21:41:44 (S | E)
Hello,

C’est trop difficile pour moi, mais je ne peux pas resister à l’envie d’essayer!

1- I was out of cigarettes and reduce to smoking butts left in ashtrays.
2- Three full pages of today’s newspaper are devoted to relating yesterday’s bomb attack.
3- I disapprove her to getting out every evening without telling me where she goes to.
4- Jones are looking forward to joining their children in Australia.
5- I didn’t think she would truckle to lying.
6- I have to achieve to cleaning my car on next weekend.
7- After dinner, my father is used to smoking a pipe while reading his newspaper.
8- I knew quite well the book she had lent my was rather boring, and I hadn’t any desire to reading it throughout. However, as I wanted to get an idea of it, I limited myself to looking through some paragraphs.

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de gee, postée le 04-10-2007 à 13:04:04 (S | E)
Thanks for posting this exercise. Here is my workout.
1. Being short of cigarettes I made do with smoking butts left in ashtrays.
2. Three full pages of today's paper are devoted to the report of yesterday's bomb attack.
3. I disapprove of her every night going out and not telling me where heading to.
4. The Jones are eager to catch up with their children in Australia.
5. I'd never have believed [I for one think it's better than literally: I didn't ever believe] she'd demean herself by lying.
6. I must manage to clean/wash my car next week-end.
7. After dinner/lunch my father is used to smoking a pipe while reading his newspaper.
8. I was pretty well aware that the book she'd lent me was rather boring and I didn't want to fully read it off. But as I wanted to get some mind about it, I'd just made do with reading through some passages at random.

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de lakata, postée le 04-10-2007 à 19:32:33 (S | E)
Bonjour Marie.

1) I was running out of cigarettes so I was reduced to smoking the cigarette ends from the ashtrays.
2) Three whole pages of today's paper are dedicated to stating the yesterday's bomb attack.
3) I disapprove of / I desagree with...her going out every night and not telling me where she goes. ( no way to do here what we are asked to do... )
4) The Jones are looking forward to joining their children in Australia.
5) I had never thought she would stoop/descend to lying.
6) I must succeed in cleaning/manage to clean...my car next weekend.( the same as number 3... again )
7) After dinner, my father is used to smoking a pipe while reading his newspaper.
8) I did know that the book she had lent to me was rather boring, and I didn't feel up to reading it all. But, as I wanted to get some idea of it, I had limited myself to browsing through it.

Thank you.

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de tartaruga, postée le 05-10-2007 à 00:25:05 (S | E)
Hi everybody!
I make a try too, even if I might run the risk of repeating something already said…
I was running out of cigarettes, and I was forced to smoke the butts left in the ashtrays.
Three pages of the today’s newspaper are dedicated to retelling the yesterday’s bomb attack.
I disapprove her going out every night, ‘cause she’s never telling me where she goes.
The Jones’ are impatient to rejoin their kids in Australia.
I’ve never thought that she would degrade herself by lying.
I have to succeed to clean my car next weekend.
After diner, my father use to smoke a pipe while reading the newspaper.
I knew quite well that the book she lent me was rather boring, and I didn’t feel like reading it all. But, as I wanted to get an idea of it, I limited myself to read a few pages at random.

-------------------
Modifié par tartaruga le 05-10-2007 11:17

-------------------
Modifié par tartaruga le 05-10-2007 12:30

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de tartaruga, postée le 05-10-2007 à 00:25:17 (S | E)

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de tartaruga, postée le 05-10-2007 à 00:25:46 (S | E)

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de pepe69, postée le 05-10-2007 à 17:05:13 (S | E)
Bonjour marie11,
1. I'd run out of cigarettes and was reduced to smoking the butts in the ashtrays.
2. Three whole pages of today's paper are dedicated to relating the yesterday's bombing.
3. I find unacceptable from her to going out every evening and not telling me where she goes.
4. The Jones are looking forward to meeting their children in Australia.
5. I never thought she would stoop to lying.
6. I have to cleaning my car the next weekend.
7. After dinner, my father is used to smoking a pipe while reading his newspaper.
8. I knew very well that the book she had lent to me was rather boring, and I didn't take to reading it entirely. But, as I wanted to get(1) an idea of it, I restricted to glancing aimlessly at some passages.
(1) "getting" est impossible après "restricted to".

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de konnar, postée le 05-10-2007 à 21:38:15 (S | E)
Here's just a try to find an answer... Anyway, thanks for posting this test ;)

J'étais à court de cigarettes,et je fus réduit à fumer les mégots laissés dans les cendriers.

1/I was running out of cigarettes, and so reduced to smoking the butts left in ashray.

Trois pages entières du journal d'aujourd'hui sont consacrées à relater l'attentat à la bombe d'hier.

2/Three whole pages of today's newspaper was devoted to recounting yesterday's bomb attack.

Je désapprouve qu'elle sorte chaque soir, et qu'elle ne me dise pas où elle va.

3/I disapprove her to going out every night without telling me where she goes.

Les Jones sont impatients de rejoindre leurs enfants en Australie

4/The Jones are looking forward to meeting their children in Australia.

Je ne pensais jamais qu'elle s'abaisserait à mentir.

5/ I thought she wouldn't have never abased herself to lying.

Il faut que j'arrive à nettoyer ma voiture le weekend prochain.

6/I gotta succeed in cleaning my car next week end.

Après dîner, mon père a l'habitude de fumer une pipe, tout en lisant son journal.

7/ After dinner, my father is used to smoking a pipe while reading his paper

Je savais pertinemment que le livre qu'elle m'avait prêté était plutôt rébarbatif, et je n'avais pas envie de le lire entièrement. Mais, comme je voulais m'en faire une idée, je m'étais borné à parcourir quelques passages au hasard.

8/ I knew perfectly well the book she lent me was pretty boring, and I didn't feel at all like reading it completely. But as I wanted to get a good idea about it, I limited myself to reading some cuts taken randomly.

With the hopes I didn't give the same sentence that someone else ^^

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de coferam, postée le 09-10-2007 à 18:40:48 (S | E)
Bonjour Marie11,

1 / I was without cigarettes, so I was reduced to smoking the butts left in ashtrays.
2 / Three whole pages of today's paper were devoted to telling yesterday's bomb attack.
3 / I disapprove she goes out every night, and she says not where she goes.
4 / The Jones are looking forward to joining their children in Australia.
5 / I never thought she would stoop to lying.
6 / I have to cleaning my car the next weekend.
7 / After diner my father is used to smoking a pipe while reading the newspaper.
8 / I knew very well the book she'd lent me was rather boring and I didn't feel like to reading it entirely. But as I wanted to get a pretty good idea of it, I was determined to read a few pages randomly.

Merci.

Réponse: I am committed to helping you !! de marie11, postée le 10-10-2007 à 18:57:38 (S | E)
Bonjour.

Voici la correction que je vous propose.

1 - I'd run out of cigarettes and was reduced to smoking the butts left in the ashtrays.
2 - Three whole pages of today's paper are devoted to reporting yesterday's bomb attack.
3 - I object to her going out every evening and not telling me where she is going.
4 - The Joneses(1) are looking forward to joining up with(2) their children in Austalia.
5 - I never thought she would descend to lying.
6 - I must get round to(3) cleaning my car next weekend.
7 - After dinner, my father is used to(4) smoking a pipe while reading his paper.
8 - I knew full well that the book she had lent(5) me was rather boring, and I didn't fancy reading it completely. But, as I wanted to have an idea about it, I confined myself to leafing through a few passages at random.

Remarques :
(1) : Les noms propres anglais prennent la marque du pluriel
Les Robinson ──► The Robinsons
Les Jones ──► The Joneses

(2) : To join up with ──► to meet
« We joined up with the group in Rome, and spent the rest of the week all together.»
──► Nous avons rejoint le groupe à Rome et avons passé le reste de la semaine ensemble.

(3) : To get round to signifie, arriver à faire quelque chose , trouver le temps de faire quelque chose.
« It's terrible! Aunt Clara's coming for the weekend, and I haven't got round to writting my Christmas cards yet.»
..........., je ne suis pas encore arrivée à écrire......
............, je n'ai pas trouvé le temps d'écrire......

(4) : Ne pas confondre " be used to + ING" avec "used to + INF"
« He used to smoke a cigar after lunch »
──► Il fumait habituellement un cigare après le déjeuner.
Il est sous-entendu que cette action appartient au passé.

(5) : To lend sth to sb or To lend sb sth.
« If you need a coat I can lend you one/lend one to you.»

Je vous remercie de votre participation.
Je répondrai très volontiers à toute question relative à ce sujet.

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux