Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Idioms at work- Thème (1)

<< Exercices du forum || En bas

Ce sujet est fermé. Vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

Idioms at work- Thème
Message de taconnet posté le 12-12-2009 à 18:25:03

Bonjour.

Idiotisme :

« Construction qui apparaît propre à une langue donnée et qui ne possède aucun correspondant syntaxique dans une autre langue.»

Chez nos voisins d'Outre-Manche on parlera d'« idiom ».

Je vous propose de traduire ces phrases en employant l'« idiom » adéquat.
Pour vous faciliter la tâche, j'ai surligné en bleu les parties à traduire sous forme idiomatique.

Niveau :
Correction : 22 décembre 2009.

1- Hier soir, chez Peter, Tom fut vraiment le boute-en-train de la soirée. Ses histoires m'ont fait rire aux larmes.

2- Tu n'arriveras jamais à mener à bien les choses, si tu ne te mets pas au travail avec acharnement.

3- Pour le moment, nous joignons les deux bouts avec difficulté, mais nous gagnerons plus d'argent bientôt, puisque Helen a commencé à travailler la semaine dernière.

4- Nous sommes dans l'incapacité de vous donner un avis car vous ne nous avez pas donné les renseignements dont nous avions besoin. Á l'impossible nul n'est tenu.

5- Le directeur des services de police a déclaré que tout serait mis en oeuvre pour identifier les responsables de l'attentat à la bombe.

6- J'ai acheté de nouveaux gants la semaine dernière, et je ne les trouve plus.
Pourtant, je les ai cherchés dans tous les recoins.

7- Le syndicat ouvrier campe sur ses positions, et les négociations sont dans l'impasse.

8- Ne tergiverse pas , abrège, dit-elle sur un ton agacé.

9- Le père montra aux enfants le cadeau d'anniversaire pour leur mère, et leur demanda de ne pas divulguer le secret.

10- Quand j'eus appris que ma petite amie allait épouser mon meilleur ami je fus atterré.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 01-04-2010 18:38

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de marsu69, postée le 15-12-2009 à 14:05:17
Hello Taconnet,
Thanks for this new exercice . Not easy to translate but very interesting ...
Here's my try ....
1) Last night, at Peter's, Tom was the life and soul of the party . His stories made me laugh until I cried .
2) If you don't set to work relentlessly, You'll never succeed .
3) At the moment, we're making ends meet with difficulty, but we'll make money soon because Helen started to work last week .
4) We are unable to give our opinion because you didn't give us the information we needed . Nobody is expected to do the impossible .
5) The Police Director announced that all would be put into action to identify the people responsible for the bomb attack .
6) I bought a new pair of gloves last week . I can't lay my hands on it, and yet, I searched it every nooks and crannies .
7) The labor union keeps standing on his ground and the negociations have reached deadlock .
8) Don't shilly-shally, get to the point ! She said with a peevishly tone .
9) The father showed his children the birthday present for their mother and ask them to keep it under their hat (or to keep it under wraps) .
10) When I had learnt my girlfriend was going to marry my best friend, you could have knocked me down with a feather !

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de dolfine56, postée le 15-12-2009 à 17:44:04
Bonjour et taconnet pour cet exercice des plus périlleux , mais sûrement instructif.

1-Last night, at Peter's, tom was really the live-wise of the party.his stories made me crying with laught.
2-If you don't start working very hard,you will never succeed.
3-For the time being,we are making ends meet with difficulty,,but we'll quickly earn a goog leaving as Helen started to work last week.
4-We are unable to give you a piece of advice, because you didn't give us the informations we needed.Nobody can achieve the impossible.
5-The Police Director services reported they'll do anything in their power in order to identify the people responsible for the bomb attack.
6-I have bought new gloves last week, and I don't find them anymore though I reached every nook and cranny (or, I left no stone returned).
7-The labor union stands on it's ground, and the negotiations reach a deadlock.
8-Don't shilly-shally,( or don't beat about the bush) cut short, she said with irritation.
9-the grandfather showed his children her mother's anniversary gift, and asked them to be bound to secrecy.(or don't let the cat out of the bag).
10-As I had learnt my girlfriend was going to marry my best friend, you could have knocked me with a feather.

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de robertbrou, postée le 15-12-2009 à 19:06:58
Bonjour,

First timer.

1: Last night at Peter's, Tom was really the life of the party. His jokes made us laugh so hard that we cried.
2: You'll never get anywhere if you don't bust your ass.
3: Right now it's hard for us to make ends meet, but we will have more income soon, since Helen started working last week.
4: We are unable to give you an estimate because you have not given us the information that we need. We're not psychics.
5: The police chief declared that they will use all the resources available in order to identify who is responsible for the bomb threat.
6: I bought new gloves last week, and can't find them anymore. I've turned the place upside-down.
7: The union is sticking to their guns and negotiations have reached an impasse.
8: Don't give me the long and drawn out version. Give me a quick run-down, she said bitterly.
9: The father showed his kids the birthday gift for their mother and told them not to let the cat out of the bag.
10: When I found out that my girlfriend was going to marry my best friend, I was floored.

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de lakata, postée le 16-12-2009 à 22:59:57
Bonsoir taconnet et merci pour cet exercice savamment édifié à l'aide des pires pierres d'achoppement qui soient...

1) At Peter's, last night, Tom was really the life and soul of the party. His jokes made me laugh till I cried/laugh to tears.

2) You'll never make a success of things if you don't put your shoulder to the wheel/ pull up your socks up.

3) For the moment, we are making ends meet with difficulty, but we'll be soon comfortably off since Helen started working last week.

4) We are unable to give you an opinion because you haven't given us the information we needed. Nobody is expected to do the impossible.

5) The chief of police said that they would do everything in their power to ensure that those who are to blame for the bomb attack would be identified.

6) I bought new gloves last week and I can't find them anymore. Yet, I have searched every nook (and cranny).

7) The trade union is sticking to his guns so the negotiations remain deadlocked.

8) Stop beating about the bush and get to the point, she said annoyingly.

9) The father showed the children the birthday present for their mother, and asked them not to let the cat out of the bag.

10) When I heard that my girlfriend was going to marry my best friend, I could have been knocked down with a feather.

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de ariane6, postée le 17-12-2009 à 12:54:49
Hello taconnet,

1- Last night, at Peter's, Tom really was the life and soul of the party. His stories (made me laugh till I cried) (made me laugh to tears)(made me split my sides).

2- You'll never make a success of things (if you don't put your shoulder to the wheel)( if you don't use a bit of elbow grease) ( if you don't go flat out).

3- At the moment we hardly make ends meet, but we'll soon come into some money, as Helen began working last week.

4 We can't give you any advice because you didn't give us the information we needed. Where nothing is, nothing can be had.

5- The Police Commissioner said they would (move mountains), (do everything in their power) to identify the people responsible for the bomb attack.

6- Last week I bought a new pair of gloves and I can't find them anymore, despite looking high and low.

7- The trade union people have dug their heels in, and the negotiations have come to a standstill.

8- Don't beat around the bush, come to the point, she said in an irritated tone of voice.

9- The father showed the children the birthday present for their mother, and asked them not to let the cat out of the bag.

10- When I was informed my girlfriend was going to marry my best friend, I saw stars...and... I pulled my socks up....!

Thank you !

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de lucile83, postée le 17-12-2009 à 14:58:52
Hello,

1) Tom was really the evening’s live wire, at Peter’s, yesterday night. His jokes made me laugh till I cried.

2) You’ll never manage to complete things successfully if you don’t fiercely set to work.

3) For the time being we make ends meet with difficulty, but we’ll soon make a better living since Helen began working last week.

4) We are unable to give you our opinion for you did not give us the information we needed. Nobody is expected to do the impossible.

5) The Police Department chief executive has announced that everything would be undertaken to identify the people responsible for the bomb attack.

6) I bought new gloves last week and I can’t find them any more. However I have looked for them in every nook and cranny.

7) The Workers Trade Union sticks to its line and the negotiations have reached a deadlock.

8) Don’t dither, cut short she said impatiently.

9) The father showed his children the birthday present for their mother, and asked them to withhold the secret.

10) When I heard my girlfriend was to marry my best friend I got shattered.

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de taconnet, postée le 22-12-2009 à 18:53:41
Bonjour.

Voici les idiomes dans l’ordre où ils sont employés dans les phrases que j’ai proposées.

1-a -The life and soul of the party

If you refer to someone as the life and soul of the party, you mean that they are lively and entertaining on social occasions and are good at mixing with other people.

This form of the expression is used in British English; in American English the form is the life of the party.

1-b-In stitches
In uncontrollable laughter.

« His jokes had me in stitches.»

2-To put one’s shoulder to the wheel

To throw all one’s energy into a task.
To work hard and seriously.

3- a To make ends meet.

If you find it difficult to make ends meet you find it difficult to pay for things you need in life, because you have very little money.

3-b better off (adj)

being in a better or more prosperous condition.
This phrase is the comparative of well off

4- To make bricks without straw.

To try to achieve some result with inadequate means.
The reference is to the captivity of the Israelites in biblical times when they were commanded by the Egyptians to make bricks without straw.

« There is no straw given onto thy servants and they say to us make brick»
Exodus .

5- To leave no stone unturned.

To spare no efforts to attain one’s ends.
If you leave no stone unturned in your efforts to find something or achieve something you consider or try every possible way of doing it.

6- Search high and low for something.

If you search high and low for something or hunt high and low for it , you search for it very carefully and thoroughly, looking in every possible place that it could be.

7- To dig one’s heels in or to dig in one’s heels

To resist a request by all means at one’s disposal.

8- to beat about / around the bush.

To broach* a subject indirectly, to delay coming to the point.
*aborder

« Stop beating about the bush and tell me what you want »

get to the point ! ──► abrège (le ton est agressif)

9- – To spill the beans
To talk indiscreetly , to let information slip out.
If you spill the beans, you reveal the truth about something secret or private.
Also
To let the cat out of the bag .
To leak out* a secret.
*divulguer

10 – You could have knocked me down with a feather.
I was so overcome*by the news that even an object as light as a feather would have been enough to knock me down.
*boulversé

Remarques sur d’autres idiomes :

To keep something under your hat :

If someone tells you something and then asks you to keep it under your hat, they are asking you not to mention it to anyone else.

«Look, if I tell you something will you promise to keep it under your hat. Promise now, not a word to anyone?»

to pull up your socks : do better ; improve

« He'll have to pull up his socks in math(s)* - if he wants to pass.»

*AmE/BrE

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de taconnet, postée le 22-12-2009 à 20:00:01
To break one's ass

Also, break or bust one's ass or balls or butt or chops.

Exert oneself to the utmost, try extremely hard, as in « I've been breaking my ass to finish early. »
This expression is considered vulgar slang; both ass, for backside or buttocks, and balls, for male genitals, are rude; butt, for buttocks, and chops, for either the mouth or the legs, are informal and emphatic but not quite as offensive.
Here is a more polite synonym

To break one's neck or break one's back.
Make a great effort, work very hard.

« I've been breaking my back over this problem for the past week.»

Every nook and cranny or the nooks and crannies

If you talk about the nooks and crannies of a place or object, you are talking about the smaller or less accessible parts which are not normally noticed.
If you talk about every nook and cranny, you are emphasizing that you mean all parts of a place or object.

Voici ce que je vous propose :

1 - Last night at Peter's, Tom was really the life and soul of the party. His jokes had me in stitches.

2 - You'll never make a success of things if you don’t put your shoulder to the wheel.

3 - At present it's hard to make ends meet, but we will be better off soon, since Helen started on the job last week.

4 - We are unable to give you an opinion because you have not given us the information we needed. We can’t make bricks without straw.

5 - The chief constable said they would leave no stone unturned to find the people behind the bombing.

6 - I bought some new gloves last week, and now, I can't find them anymore. I have searched high and low for them.

7 - The trade union is digging in its heels and the negotiations have reached a deadlock.

8 - Stop beating around the bush , get to the point, she said in an irritated tone.

9: The father showed his children the present for their mother’s birthday and asked them not* to spill the beans.

10: When I found out that my girlfriend was going to marry my best friend, you could have knocked me down with a feather .

* notez l'ordre : not + to + verb

Je vous remercie d'avoir participé à cette incursion dans le domaine des idiomes anglais.
J'ai remarqué la présence de robertbrou et je le remercie tout particulièrement de s'être prêté à ce jeu lexical.

Je vous souhaite de bonnes fêtes de fin d'année.

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de marsu69, postée le 23-12-2009 à 13:18:29
Hello Taconnet,
pour cette correction détaillée .
Lors de la traduction de cet exercice, je me suis posé une question : quand on utilise des tournures telles " to dig one's heels" est-ce qu'il est faux d'écrire pour la phrase 7) The trade union is digging in his heels and the negotiations have reached a deadlock. ("his" à la place de "its" si l'on considère qu'un syndicat est une personne morale donc un groupement de personnes physiques et ne pas considérer un syndicat comme une "chose" ? ).

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de taconnet, postée le 23-12-2009 à 15:47:20
Bonjour Marsu.

Question pertinente.

Pourquoi ai-je employé «its» et non pas «his» ?

En fait, je ne me suis même pas posé la question en écrivant cette phrase, j'ai considéré « The (trade)union » en tant qu' entité comme la Justice , l'État , la Société ...

Ai-je eu raison ?

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de lakata, postée le 27-12-2009 à 13:26:52

Bonjour taconnet.

Depuis que je t'ai lâchement piqué des chocolats, impertinente que je suis, dans la boîte que tu avais valeureusement gagnée au MM de dolfine, sais-tu que le remords me tenaille ?
Aussi, te remercier aujourd'hui pour ta correction soignée et détaillée me donne enfin l'occasion rêvée de me racheter.
Et c'est avec gratitude que je t'offre la boîte de chocolats ci-dessous. S'il est vrai que la photo ne paye pas de mine, passé outre les contraintes limitatives de la prise de vue, cette boîte peut atteindre des proportions considérables ! Parole de lakata !!!

Bonne année 2010, taconnet, et merci pour les exercices à venir.

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de mariejosf, postée le 02-03-2010 à 11:43:00
Merci pour ces idiomes ; je voudrais cependant apporter une correction :

Excusez-moi mais je pense qu'il faut dire:
"EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY" au singulier, pas au pluriel avec "every"

J'ajouterai que l'on peut aussi dire:
"Don't dilly-dally" qui est semblable à "shilly-shally"

Merci encore de nous avoir apporté ces idiomes.

MJosé.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 02-03-2010 12:26

Réponse: Idioms at work- Thème de lucile83, postée le 02-03-2010 à 12:26:01
Bonjour mariejosf,
Vous dites:
"EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY" au singulier, pas au pluriel avec "every"

je ne vois rien de semblable dans la correction proposée.
Best wishes.

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux