Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

US History- Statue of Liberty

<< Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

US History- Statue of Liberty
Message de notrepere posté le 27-06-2010 à 01:12:41 (S | E | F)

Bonjour à tous! Here is a short exercise about the Statue of Liberty in the USA. Test your knowledge about its history. I hope you enjoy this exercise. Niveau? Answers on July 2nd!

1. The Statue of Liberty was given to the United States by what country?

a. England
b. Germany
c. Iceland
d. France

2. The Statue is made of what material?

a. Iron
b. Plaster
c. Papier-mâché
d. Copper

This wasn't meant to be a trick question. The original skeletal framework was iron but it had to be replaced with stainless steel due to corrosion. The outer skin of the statue is copper which accounts for its green color.

3. In which U.S. state is the Statue located?

a. Washington D.C.
Washington D.C., contrary to what many (including Americans) think, is not a state but a "federal district".
b. New York
c. Virginia
d. Florida

4. Who developed the skeletal framework for the Statue?

a. George Washington
b. Charles de Gaulle
c. (Alexandre) Gustave Eiffel
d. Leonardo Da Vinci

5. How many windows are in the crown of the Statue?

a. 150
b. 83
c. 25
d. 5

6. What do the windows symbolize?

a. The first trees planted by Johnny Appleseed
b. The gemstones found on the earth
c. The number of miles from the earth to the moon
d. The number of years since America's independence

Yes, there really was someone named Johnny "Appleseed" Chapman.

7. The plaque on the base of the Statue contains a poem written by whom?

a. Emma Thompson
b. Emma Lazarus
c. Emma the Amish girl
d. Madonna

8. The last line of the poem reads:

a. Land of the free, home of the brave
b. I lift my lamp beside the golden door
c. Watch your step
d. Welcome to the United States

Answer a. is derived from the last line of the National Anthem of the United States: O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 02-07-2010 21:22
Gustave added (Eiffel)

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 02-07-2010 22:43

Réponse: US History- Statue of Liberty de lucile83, postée le 27-06-2010 à 09:45:46 (S | E)
Hello,

1 d
2 d
3 b
4 c
5 ? I don't know
6 d I think
7 b
8 b I'm not sure but it seems logical to me

I did not read your links as it would be too easy I suppose
I'll read them when I have posted and I will not modify my post

Réponse: US History- Statue of Liberty de lamy, postée le 27-06-2010 à 10:48:20 (S | E)
Hello notrepere

Good idea to test our knowledge just before July 4 !! How clever of you !

Here are my answers. I didn't look them up either. One or two may be wrong.

1 d
2 d
3 b
4 c
5 The number of windows should match the size of the statue. I'd say 150.
6 Can't be C nor D. Besides I can't imagine a man called Appleseed planting trees ! So I'd say B.
7 b
8 Definitely not C or D. B seems too easy and A is very poetic. I'd say A.

Cordially

-------------------
Modifié par lamy le 27-06-2010 10:49

Réponse: US History- Statue of Liberty de headway, postée le 27-06-2010 à 10:50:01 (S | E)
Hi Notrepère,

d. France

a. Iron

b. New York

c. Alexandre Eiffel

???

b. Emma Lazarus

I am now going to check my answers.

Réponse: US History- Statue of Liberty de violet91, postée le 27-06-2010 à 19:17:11 (S | E)
There you are, dear notrepère , and thank you ever so much for posting something "refreshing" .

Good job you celebrated this coming July 4th this way, that is to say "Indepedence Day".

If I may say...you should not have given links..you know "you should not lead into temptation!".Let us be "independent and responsible! I won't look up, I promise. Interesting exercise with funny suggestions!

1 ) France. The statue was conceived and made in France. d

2 ) It is made of iron (like Eiffel Tower) sheeted with copper for some bits of it, I think.I am a little puzzled. a

3 ) It is standing in New York State in the bay ,when entering New York harbour .b

4 ) French engineer Gustave Eiffel developed the framework of it ..(Washington is an actor, isn't he ? Charles de Gaulle , Paris airport isn't it ? And Leonardo da Vinci ,a famous grammar school round here!!)Hope you are not misleading us with Bartholdi! "c"

5 ) I should think 25 ..but it seems too small a number!..c

6 )Gemstones found on Earth are symbolized by the windows, aren't they? (falling tag, of course)b

7 ) The plaque contains a poem written by Emma Lazarus. (Emma Thompson such a British actress! / Madonna does a lot of things..but that!.. Who is the Amish girl?(sorry..but I don't know her) b

8 ) Logically, " I lift my lamp beside the golden door".(My God! Fortunately not "Watch your step!". b

A very good start ! Bright idea !

To you ,notrepère:

A ) How many replicas of it are there in Paris ?

a ) None.
b ) One .
c ) Two
d ) One and a half.

B ) If one,does it stand looking towards ?

a ) You.
b ) The Atlantic Ocean and you.
c ) Eiffel Tower.
d ) Vincennes zoo.

Réponse: US History- Statue of Liberty de notrepere, postée le 28-06-2010 à 04:31:03 (S | E)
Hello Violet! Are these trick questions?

This page says there are three! Who knew? Lien Internet

Plus a life-size copy of the torch too!

That's 3.25!

I didn't know. But of course, the French would want their own copy of such a magnificent feat of engineering!

There are many others throughout France!

For your second question, I suspect you are referring to the Île des Cygnes replica which faces west towards the U.S. and New York harbor harbour .

Réponse: US History- Statue of Liberty de violet91, postée le 28-06-2010 à 14:46:21 (S | E)
Bonjour,dear notrepère,

--Thank you so much for answering my subsidiary questions (I would not put tricky ones to anyone helpful and humorous ).

--I was referring to the two , outdoors : close to Eiffel Tower and French Senate.

Thank you for teaching me there is (or was?) one in Bordeaux , my " native" town. Gosh! Where? ( Never seen it !)

Fondue par les nazis. ."reconstruite" et inaugurée à la Cité du Grand Parc à Bordeaux en 2000 ( j'irai spécialement cet été faire un petit tour dans ce chaud quartier !)

Lien Internet
(a favourite.)

Réponse: US History- Statue of Liberty de mamy40, postée le 28-06-2010 à 16:18:33 (S | E)
Hello and notrepere and for your exercise !
1) France
2) iron
3) New York
4) Gustave Eiffel
5) I think hundreds but....150 selon vos propositions !
6) d
7) Emma Lazarus
8) b

Réponse: US History- Statue of Liberty de moony59, postée le 30-06-2010 à 15:05:30 (S | E)
Hello notrepere qui êtes aux states.

d. France

d. Copper

b. New York

c. Alexandre Eiffel

c. 25 .
This provides a view of New York Harbor (the orientation of the statue faces Brooklyn) through 25 windows

b. Emma Lazarus

Thanks you for these questions.I had a look on wikipedia site(english version of course) to answer some of them.
Bye.

Réponse: US History- Statue of Liberty de notrepere, postée le 02-07-2010 à 17:07:43 (S | E)
Thank you all for playing!

Réponse: US History- Statue of Liberty de identity, postée le 02-07-2010 à 18:21:59 (S | E)
Bonjour Notrepère,

ALexandre est le deuxième prénom de Gustave Eiffel et en France il est connu sous le nom de Gustave Eiffel, et non d'Alexandre.

Merci pour ce jeu, à bientôt

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< Exercices du forum

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux