Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter)

<< Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter)
Message de notrepere posté le 29-11-2010 à 02:06:36 (S | E | F)
Bonjour à tous ! Voici le prochain exercice pour les oreilles ! Etes-vous prêts? C'est le même processus que le précédent:

Part A, indiquez les mots manquants.
Part B (optional), aural comprehension. Quelques parties du texte ont été supprimées. Il faut répondre à plusieurs questions selon votre compréhension du texte.

Bon courage! I hope you enjoy the exercise.

Part A. Saving Arthur Conan Doyle's Undershaw (BBC)
Correction: 12 Décembre
Video link: Lien Internet

[Movie dialogue (optional): "Sherlock Holmes, you and I are _____ _____ on a _____ that will _____ the _____ _____ of _____"]

The _____ that is Sherlock Holmes: It's a _____ which is _____ _____ _____ _____ with a _____ of documentaries, books and movies. But _____ the Sherlock Holmes character has been _____, the _____ _____ _____ _____ of the house where _____ _____, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, _____ _____.

[Part B. Texte supprimé! Ecoutez!]

Undershaw House in _____ has _____ _____ and _____ for many years. But several _____ _____ involving _____ _____ and Sherlock Holmes _____ from _____ _____ _____ have _____ _____ to preserve the house _____ _____ of its _____ _____.

[For Part B. Texte supprimé! Ecoutez!]

Even Conan Doyle's _____ have _____ _____ to support the _____ to keep the house in _____ _____.

It was here that Conan Doyle _____ Sherlock Holmes after _____ _____ _____ in a _____ _____ his _____ - _____.

Maybe _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ can be _____ _____ _____ _____ of its _____ _____.

Part B.

1. The restoration plan includes returning the house to how it was originally.
a. Vrai
b. Faux

2. The plan also includes:
a. Adding another level
b. Removing the right-hand wing
c. A and B.
d. None of the above

3. In 1902, Conan Doyle wrote which novel in this house?
a. A Study in Scarlet
b. The Valley of Fear
c. The White Company
d. The Hound of the Baskervilles

4. According to the person being interviewed, Conan Doyle did some of his finest writing in this house:
a. Vrai
b. Faux

5. In the opinion of the person being interviewed, after Conan Doyle left this house:
a. "His best work was behind him"
b. "His best work lay ahead of him"
c. "Everything fell apart"
d. None of the above

6. According to one of Conan Doyle's descendants, the ideal situation would be:
a. "to preserve the house in aspic"
b. for a family to live in the house
c. "to make it a loved-in, lived-in home"
d. All of the above
e. A and B only
f. B and C only
g. None of the above

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 01-12-2010 17:50

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de lucile83, postée le 29-11-2010 à 21:37:04 (S | E)
Hi np!

J'ai répondu aux questions et me suis occupée de la moitié du texte environ, pas eu le temps de faire davantage.

I keep on reading and listening!

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de may, postée le 01-12-2010 à 18:49:07 (S | E)
Hello notrepere

Here's mine

[Movie dialogue (optional): "Sherlock Holmes, you and I are about together on a journey that will twist the very fabric of nature"]

The phenomenon that is Sherlock Holmes: It's a brand which is the popular as ever with a franchise of documentaries, books and movies. But whilst the Sherlock Holmes character has been thriving, the same as not true of the house where his creator, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, once lived.

Undershaw House in Surrey has stood empty and crumbling for many years. But several interest groups involving local people and Sherlock Holmes' enthusiastic from around the world have rallied round to preserve the house in memory of its famous occupant.

Even Conan Doyle's descendant have stepped in to support the campaign to keep the house in one piece.

It was here that Conan Doyle resurrected Sherlock Holmes after killing him off in a battle against his arch - enemy.

Maybe one day the house itself can be resurrected to take advantage of its fantastic history.

Part B.

a. Vrai
b. Faux

a. Adding another level
c. A and B.
d. None of the above

a. A Study in Scarlet
b. The Valley of Fear
c. The White Company

4. According to the person being interviewed, Conan Doyle did some of his finest writing in this house:
a. Vrai
b. Faux

5. In the opinion of the person being interviewed, after Conan Doyle left this house:
d. None of the above

d. All of the above
e. A and B only
f. B and C only
g. None of the above

Thank you very much

Happy wednesday

-------------------
Modifié par may le 02-01-2011 16:35

-------------------
Modifié par may le 02-01-2011 16:36

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de lucile83, postée le 02-12-2010 à 14:12:03 (S | E)
Hello np!

Here is my try...

[Movie dialogue (optional): "Sherlock Holmes, you and I are bound together on a journey that will twist the very fabric of nature"]

The phenomenon that is Sherlock Holmes: It's a brand which is as popular as ever with a franchise of documentaries, books and movies. But whilst the Sherlock Holmes character has been thriving , the same is not true of the house where his creator , Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, once lived.

Undershaw House in Surrey has stood empty and crumbling for many years. But several interest groups involving local people and Sherlock Holmes enthusiasts from around the world have rallied round to preserve the house in memory of its famous occupant.

Even Conan Doyle's descendants have stepped in to support the campaign to keep the house in one piece.

It was here that Conan Doyle resurrected Sherlock Holmes after killing him off in a battle against his arch-enemy.

Maybe one day the house itself can be resurrected to take advantage of its fantastic history.

Part B

a. Vrai
b. Faux

a. Adding another level
c. A and B.
d. None of the above

a. A Study in Scarlet
b. The Valley of Fear
c. The White Company

a. Vrai
b. Faux

d. None of the above

d. All of the above
e. A and B only
f. B and C only
g. None of the above

Thank you very much

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de moony59, postée le 02-12-2010 à 17:57:19 (S | E)
Hello notrepere,

How difficult this listening is!

[Movie dialogue (optional): "Sherlock Holmes, you and I are band together on a journey that will twist the every fabric of nature"]

The phenomenon that is Sherlock Holmes: It's a brand which is as popular as ever with a _____ of documentaries, books and movies. But whilst the Sherlock Holmes character has been thriving, the same is not true of the house where his creater, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, wants lived.

Undershaw House in Surrey has _____ _____ and crumblings for many years. But several interest _____ involving local people and Sherlock Holmes enthousiast from around the world have _____ _____ to preserve the house in memory of its famous occupant.

Even Conan Doyle's descendants have stepped in to support the campaign to keep the house in one piece.

It was here that Conan Doyle resurrected Sherlock Holmes after killing him off in a battle against his heart - ennemy.

Part B :1a,2b,3d,4b,5a,6b or 6f.

I'll listen it again later and try to find the missing words.
Thank you.

-------------------
Modifié par moony59 le 06-12-2010 14:18

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de notrepere, postée le 02-12-2010 à 18:52:01 (S | E)
Hello, May,

Ne t'inquiète pas, Moony, it's good practice, isn't it? I think when you listen a few more times, you will understand more words. The more you do it, the easier it will become. Promis. Bravo à vous tous!

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de violet91, postée le 03-12-2010 à 18:44:38 (S | E)
My God ! Hello dear notrepere , is it getting worse and worse ? ...une vraie jubilation for you, I expect !..We must all "prick up our ears" (devoir moral !) !

Movie dialogue (optional): "Sherlock Holmes, you and I are bound together on a journey that will twist the very fabric of nature"]

The phenomenon that is Sherlock Holmes: it's a brand which is as popular as ever with a franchise of documentaries, books and movies. But whilst the Sherlock Holmes character has been thriving, the same is not true of the house where his creator, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle,once lived.

Undershaw House in Surrey has stood empty and crumbling for many years. But several interest groups involving local people and Sherlock Holmes' enthusiasts from around the world have rallied round to preserve the house in memory of its famous occupant

[Even Conan Doyle's descendants * have stepped in to support the campaign to keep the house in one piece.

It was here that Conan Doyle resurrected Sherlock Holmes after killing him offin a battle_against his arch-enemy (ennemi juré) (or *heart's enemy)?,..like cholesterol or tobacco!!)

Maybe one day, the house itself can be resurrected to take advantage of its fantastic history.

* Peut-être que la journaliste est asthmatique..j'entends sa respiration et quasiment un "h" aspiré!

* Je suggère à celui-là des cours d'élocution et de prononciation de bel Anglais pour faire honneur à son granddad ( or grandpaaaaaa !).

Part B
----1,a/ 2,b /3 ,d / 4,a /5,a/ 6,b ? (à" revoir")

Grand merci notrepere de "dégoter" des vidéos de "derrière les fagots" ! Nos neurones en sont ou tout excités ou à plat ! See you!.

J'en suis devenue " toute verte"!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 04-12-2010 12:18
Bug couleur réparé

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de dolfine56, postée le 04-12-2010 à 14:38:15 (S | E)
Hello NP,
Thanks again for this one, more difficult than the previous one, I guess!

[Movie dialogue (optional): "Sherlock Holmes, you and I are bound together on a journey that will twistthe very fabric of nature"]

The phenomenon that is Sherlock Holmes: It's a brand which is as popular as ever with a franchise of documentaries, books and movies. But while the Sherlock Holmes character has been thriving, the same is not true of the house where his creator, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, once lived.

Undershaw House in Surrey has stood empty and crumbling for many years. But several interest groups involving local people and Sherlock Holmesenthousiasts from around the world have rallied round to preserve the house in memory of its famous occupant.

Even Conan Doyle's descendants have stepped in to support the campaign to keep the house in one piece

It was here that Conan Doyle resurrected Sherlock Holmes after killing him off in a battle against his arch-ennemy.

Maybe one day, the house itself can be resurrected to take advantage of its fantastic history.

Part B:
1,a;2'b;3'd;4'a;5'a;6'b.

LUCILE, SOS !!!!
I'm very sorry, half of the text has turned green.Would you please,come with your magic wand,and restore the right colors?
thanks a lot.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 04-12-2010 14:50
Bug couleur réparé

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de lucile83, postée le 10-12-2010 à 08:45:47 (S | E)
Attention aux retardataires, la correction va bientôt être faite

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de notrepere, postée le 12-12-2010 à 20:54:24 (S | E)
Bonjour! Here is the basic correction. More details to follow later...

Part A

[Movie dialogue: "Sherlock Holmes, you and I are bound together on a journey that will twist the very fabric of nature"]

The phenomenon that is Sherlock Holmes: It's a brand which is as popular as ever with a franchise of documentaries, books and movies. But whilst the Sherlock Holmes character has been thriving, the same is not true of the house where his creator, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, once lived.

The plan is to return the house back as it was originally with the exception of removing the right-hand wing and then substitute that with a present of houses running round to the right-hand side.

Undershaw House in Surrey has stood empty and crumbling for many years. But several interest groups involving local people and Sherlock Holmes enthusiasts from around the world have rallied round to preserve the house in memory of its famous occupant.

This is where it all happened for Conan Doyle's work. In 1902 he wrote "Hound of the Baskervilles" here -- his most famous Sherlock Holmes story. When he left this house, I think his best work was behind him. He did some of his finest work actually in this house. This house is really ... it's a microcosm of the age.

The ideal situation would to be somebody with a family, take the house over, not preserve it in aspic but to make it a lived-in, laughed-in home.

It was here that Conan Doyle resurrected Sherlock Holmes after killing him off in a battle against his arch-enemy.

Part B

a. Vrai

a. Vrai

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 12-12-2010 21:08

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de lucile83, postée le 12-12-2010 à 21:59:52 (S | E)
Thank you np!

I enjoyed that exercise a lot

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de notrepere, postée le 17-12-2010 à 04:06:55 (S | E)
Finalement, il faut terminer la correction...

be bound together by/in something [idiom]
to be closely connected
communities bound together by customs and traditions

twist the very fabric of nature

very [adjective]
used for emphasizing how important or serious something is
Charles realized that his throne and his very life were in danger, and he decided to act.
The chemicals had poisoned his land and destroyed the very basis of his livelihood. (Macmillan)
This is the very book I've been looking for all month.
You're the very person we need for the job.
The letter was sent on Monday from Manchester and arrived in London the very same/next day.
The very idea/thought of having her friends to stay fills me with dread. (Cambridge)

fabric
*the structure or parts especially of a social unit or a building
*the fabric of society
Unhappiness was woven into the natural fabric of people's lives.
We must invest in the fabric of our hospitals and start rebuilding them. (Cambridge)
a trend which threatens the very fabric of society (Oxford)
fabric of: Small shops help to maintain the fabric of neighbourhood life.
the fabric of society: Drug abuse poses a major threat to the fabric of society. (Macmillan)

brand [noun]
a product or group of products that has its own name and is made by one particular company (Macmillan)
You pay less for the supermarket's own brand. (Oxford)

as ever
used for saying that someone’s behaviour or a situation is the same as usual, or the same as it has always been (Macmillan)
Gordon, as ever, tried to make difficulties.

as...as ever
I thought Alex might be angry, but he was as polite and friendly as ever.
Lien Internet

in the same way as always (Cambridge)
As ever, I was the last to find out.
Lien Internet

whilst = while
formal form of "while"; chiefly

with the exception of [idiom/expression idiomatique]
except; not including (Oxford)

All his novels are set in Italy with the exception of his last.
used for saying that someone or something is not included in what you are saying (Macmillan)
The players should all be fit for Saturday’s game, with the possible exception of Davis.

stood empty = vb. stand/past tense: stood + adjective
to be in a particular condition or situation (Oxford)

The house stood empty for a long time.
‘You're wrong about the date—it was 1988.’ ‘I stand corrected (= accept that I was wrong).’
You never know where you stand with her—one minute she's friendly, the next she'll hardly speak to you.
As things stand, there is little chance of a quick settlement of the dispute.

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 21-12-2010 05:34

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de notrepere, postée le 21-12-2010 à 05:30:18 (S | E)
enthusiast
a person who is very interested in and involved with a particular subject or activity (Cambridge)
The company was started ten years ago by two young computer enthusiasts. (Macmillan)

rally round/around [phrasal verb]
to work with other people in order to help someone in a difficult situation
Friends and neighbours rallied round to help. (Macmillan)
The whole family rallied round when Mum was ill. (Oxford)

step in [phrasal verb]
to help somebody in a disagreement or difficult situation
local businessman stepped in with a large donation for the school.
The team coach was forced to step in to stop the two athletes from coming to blows. (Oxford)

to become involved in a discussion or argument, especially in order to make it stop (Macmillan)
It is time for the government to step in.

preserve in aspic
if something is preserved in aspic, it has not changed for a very long time (Longman)
Lien Internet

a part of town preserved in aspic for tourists

kill off [separable phrasal verb] = killing him off
if a writer kills off someone in a book, play, film, or television programme, they make them die in the story
She was killed off at the end of the second series. (Macmillan)

arch-enemy
a person's main enemy (Oxford)
Ever since I married Robert’s ex-girlfriend, he’s been my arch-enemy. (Macmillan)

take advantage of something/somebody [idiom/expression idiomatique]
to make use of something well; to make use of an opportunity
She took advantage of the children's absence to tidy their rooms.
We took full advantage of the hotel facilities. (Oxford)
Moss took advantage of the defender’s mistake to score a goal.
Many schools don’t take full advantage of the Internet. (Macmillan)

Voilà, c'est la fin de la correction. Si vous avez des questions, n'hésitez pas à les poser.

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de lucile83, postée le 21-12-2010 à 07:49:44 (S | E)
pour cette belle correction

Réponse: Arthur Conan Doyle's House (Écouter) de moony59, postée le 23-12-2010 à 18:54:57 (S | E)
Hello NP, very much for this exercice and the correction that I find very interesting.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< Exercices du forum

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux