Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter
Message de notrepere posté le 21-02-2011 à 09:39:20 (S | E | F)

Bonjour! Il s'agit de regarder la vidéo et de fournir les mots manquants. Bonne chance et bonne écoute.

Perry Mason: The Case of the Curious Bride
Correction: 13 mars 2011
Video link: cliquez ici

Perry Mason: Mrs Crandall, have you ever before heard the _____ ring in the _____ across the way?

Mrs Crandall: Well, this was an _____ _____ _____ -- no wind.

Mason: That doesn't _____ _____ _____. I asked about the doorbell.

Crandall: Well, no, I don't think I ever heard the doorbell ring before.

Mason: Then how can you be sure it was the doorbell and _____ _____ _____?

Crandall: Well, for one thing, the _____ _____ _____, but I could _____ _____ _____ _____ through an opening between the _____ and the _____.

Mason: How large would you say that opening was?

Crandall: Oh, _____ _____ _____ or so.

Mason: I claim, Mrs Crandall, that you could not see figures through an opening only _____ _____ _____.

Hamilton Burger: _____ _____, I have a suggestion to make if Mr Mason's agreeable. Since this seems to be a question of how much Mrs Crandall could see from her _____ _____ through a _____ - _____ _____ of the _____ _____ _____, I suggest the _____ be taken there and allowed to _____ _____ _____.

Judge: Well, Mr Mason?

Mason: This is a _____ _____, but the _____ has _____ _____ to such a visit, Your Honor.

Burger: Directly opposite this window is apartment number 4, the _____ apartment.

Judge: How can the jury tell if you can see -- [ bell ringing ]

Mason: Your Honor, this is _____ _____. The ringing of the bell is _____ _____ the _____ _____ _____. The jury was brought here only to _____ _____ _____, not to _____ _____ _____.

Judge: Mr Burger, there was _____ _____ that the doorbell was to be rung while a jury was here!

Burger: Why Your Honor, _____ _____ _____ _____ the bell was going to be rung. I simply told the deputy to go and disconnect it.

Judge: But you _____ the man not to ring it?

Burger: No, Your honor, it _____ _____ _____ _____ he'd take it upon himself to -- [ bell ringing ] _____ _____ _____ _____!

Mason: And I've had an _____ prepare a set of dry batteries, which can be connected to the bell. In this way I can test Mrs Crandall's _____ of the _____ of the bell. However, before I do this, I ask permission to have the _____ _____ _____ so that the prosecution can _____ the bell _____ _____.

Judge: Any objections?

Burger: No objection.

Mason: Thank you. Perhaps, at this time, the _____ will also _____ _____ to introduce the alarm clock _____ _____.

Burger: We'll be happy to do anything to assist _____ that we can.

Judge: Can you _____ _____, please, Mrs Crandall?

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 13-03-2011 17:33

There was an error in my transcription (en bleu) Désolé

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de lucile83, postée le 21-02-2011 à 10:15:23 (S | E)
on est gâtés!!! 2 'aural exercises' à la fois!

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de notrepere, postée le 21-02-2011 à 10:18:31 (S | E)
Yes, dear Lucile, I had to appease myself and Violet too. Take your pick, do one, do both, but have fun above all!

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de lolilola, postée le 21-02-2011 à 13:51:02 (S | E)
Bonjour,

Merci pour cet exercice.
Après avoir regardé sur le forum comment procéder pour ce genre d'exercice, j'espère ne pas me tromper en répondant sous cette forme.

Perry Mason: Mrs Crandall, have you ever before heard the doorbell_____ ring in theapartment across the way?

Mrs Crandall: Well, this was an _unusually quiet night_ -- no wind.

Mason: That doesn't doesn't answer my question. I asked about the doorbell.

Mason: Then how can you be sure it was the doorbell and not the telephone?

Crandall: Well, for one thing, the shade was drawn, but I could see figures moving about through an opening between the window and the _shade.

Crandall: Oh, about eight inches or so.

Mason: I claim, Mrs Crandall, that you could not see figures through an opening only eight inches wide.

Hamilton Burger: your honor, I have a suggestion to make if Mr Mason's agreeable. Since this seems to be a question of how much Mrs Crandall could see from her bedroom window through a half-drawn shade of the apartment opposite hers_, I suggest the jury'd be taken there and allowed to see for themselves.

Mason: This is a little unexpected, but the defense has no objection to such a visit, Your Honor.

Burger: Directly opposite this window is apartment number 4, the decedent's??? apartment.

Mason: Your Honor, this is manifestly unfair. The ringing of the bell is equivalent to the taking of testimony_. The jury was brought here only to view the premises, not to hear a bell.

Judge: Mr Burger, there was no ??? that the doorbell was to be rung while a jury was here!

Burger: Why Your Honor, i had no idea the bell was going to be rung. I simply told the deputy to go and disconnect it.

Judge: But you warned the man not the ring it?

Burger: No, Your honor, it never occured to me he'd take it upon himself to -- [ bell ringing ] stop ringing that bell!

Mason: And I've had an electrician prepare a set of dry batteries, which can be connected to the bell. In this way I can test Mrs Crandall's _recollection of the sound of the bell. However, before I do this, I ask permission to have the witness step down so that the prosecution can introduce the bell in evidence_.

Mason: Thank you. Perhaps, at this time, the prosecution will also see fit_ to introduce the alarm clock in evidence.

Burger: We'll be happy to do anything to assist councel ??? that we can.

Judge: Can you step down, please, Mrs Crandall?

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de dolfine56, postée le 01-03-2011 à 16:40:45 (S | E)
Hi,dear NP, thanks for this second little treat...!
it seems Violet and you like very much trial and all this sight we can see in a court...?
Here is my try:

Perry Mason: Mrs Crandall, have you ever before heard the doorbell ring in the apartment across the way?

Mrs Crandall: Well, this was an unusually quiet night - no wind.

Mason: That doesn't answer my question. I asked about the doorbell.

Crandall: Well, for one thing, the shade was drawn, but I could see figures moving about through an opening between the window and the shade.

Mason: I claim, Mrs Crandall, that you could not see figures through an opening only eight inches wide.

Hamilton Burger: your honor, I have a suggestion to make if Mr Mason's agreeable. Since this seems to be a question of how much Mrs Crandall could see from her bedroom window through a half- drawn shade of the apartment opposite hers, I suggest the jury'd be taken there and allowed to see for themselves.

Mason: This is a little unexpected, but the defense has no objection to such a visit, Your Honor.

Burger: Directly opposite this window is apartment number 4, the design apartment.

Mason: Your Honor, this is manifestly unfair. The ringing of the bell is equivalent to the taking of testimony. The jury was brought here only to view the premises, not to hear a bell.

Judge: Mr Burger, there was no stupefaction that the doorbell was to be rung while a jury was here!

Burger: Why Your Honor,I had no idea the bell was going to be rung. I simply told the deputy to go and disconnect it.

Judge: But you warned the man not the ring it?

Burger: No, Your honor, it never occure to me he'd take it upon himself to -- [ bell ringing ] stop ringing that bell!

Mason: And I've had an electrian prepare a set of dry batteries, which can be connected to the bell. In this way I can test Mrs Crandall's recollection of the sound of the bell. However, before I do this, I ask permission to have the witness step down so that the prosecution can introduce the bell in evidence.

Mason: Thank you. Perhaps, at this time, the prosecution will also see fit to introduce the alarm clock in evidence.

Burger: We'll be happy to do anything to assist council that we can.

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de swan85, postée le 08-03-2011 à 21:47:26 (S | E)
Thank you Notrepere

Here is what I succeeded to understand.

Perry Mason: Mrs Crandall, have you ever before heard the doorbell ring in the apartment across the way?

Mrs Crandall: Well, this was an unusual quiet night no wind.

Crandall: Well, for one thing, the shade was drawn, but I could see fingers moving about through an opening between the window and the shade.

Hamilton Burger: Your Honor, I have a suggestion to make if Mr Mason's agreeable. Since this seems to be a question of how much Mrs Crandall could see from her bedroom window through a half wide shade of the apartment opposite hers , I suggest the jury be taken there and allowed to see for themselves.

Burger: Directly opposite this window is apartment number 4, the ? apartment.

Mason: Your Honor, this is manifestly unfair. The ringing of the bell is equivalent to the taking of testimony. The jury was brought here only to view the premises, not to hear the bell.

Judge: Mr Burger, there was no stipulation that the doorbell was to be rung while a jury was here!

Burger: Why Your Honor, I don't had idea the bell was going to be rung. I simply told the deputy to go and disconnect it.

Judge: But you want the man not the ring it?

Burger: No, Your honor, it never occurred to me he'd take it upon himself to -- [ bell ringing ] stop ringing that bell !

Mason: And I've had an electrician prepare a set of dry batteries, which can be connected to the bell. In this way I can test Mrs Crandall's recollection of the sound of the bell. However, before I do this, I ask permission to have the witness step down so that the prosecution can introduce the bell in evidence.

Mason: Thank you. Perhaps, at this time, the prosecution will also see ? to introduce the alarm clock in evidence.

Burger: We'll be happy to do anything to assist counsel that we can.

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de notrepere, postée le 13-03-2011 à 17:17:36 (S | E)
Bonjour, j'arrive!

Perry Mason: Have you ever before heard the doorbell ring in the apartment across the way?

Mrs Crandall: Well, this was an unusually quiet night -- no wind.

Crandall: Well, for one thing, the shade was drawn, but I could see figures moving about through an opening between the window and the shade.

Crandall: Oh, about 8 inches or so.

Mason: I claim, Mrs Crandall, that you could not see figures through an opening only 8 inches wide.

Hamilton Burger: Your Honor, I have a suggestion to make if Mr Mason's agreeable. Since this seems to be a question of how much Mrs Crandall could see from her bedroom window through a half-drawn shade of the apartment opposite hers, I suggest the jury be taken there and allowed to see for themselves.

Mason: This is a little unexpected, but the defence has no objection to such a visit, Your Honor.

Burger: Directly opposite this window is apartment number 4, the decedent's apartment.

Mason: Your Honor, this is manifestly unfair. The ringing of the bell is equivalent to the taking of testimony. The jury was brought here only to view the premises, not to hear a bell.

Judge: Mr Burger, there was no stipulation that the doorbell was to be rung while a jury was here!

Burger: Why Your Honor, I had no idea the bell was going to be rung. I simply told the deputy to go and disconnect it.

Judge: But you warned the man not to ring it?

Burger: No, Your honor, it never occurred to me he'd take it upon himself to -- [ bell ringing ] stop ringing that bell!

Mason: And I've had an electrician prepare a set of dry batteries, which can be connected to the bell. In this way I can test Mrs Crandall's recollection of the sound of the bell. However, before I do this, I ask permission to have the witness step down so that the prosecution can introduce the bell in evidence.

Mason: Thank you. Perhaps, at this time, the prosecution will also see fit to introduce the alarm clock in evidence.

decedent (principalement )
a deceased person

Chambers Lien Internet

Reverso Lien Internet

stipulation (n) /ˌstɪp.jʊˈleɪ.ʃən/ du verbe stipulate /stɪpjuleɪt/
to state clearly and firmly that something must be done, or how it must be done (Oxford)

The only stipulation is that the topic you choose must be related to your studies. (Oxford)
Is there any stipulation as regards qualifications? (Cambridge)
The only stipulation is that candidates must be over the age of 35. (Cambridge)

figure /ˈfɪg.ər /
the shape of the human body, or a person (Cambridge)
I could see two tall figures in the distance.
A strange bearded figure (= person) entered the room.

drawn (p.p) du verbe draw UK /drɔː/ US /drɑː/
draw something = to open or close curtains, etc (Oxford)
The blinds were drawn.
It was getting dark so I switched on the light and drew the curtains.
She drew back the curtains and let the sunlight in.

draw the curtains (Cambridge)
to pull curtains so that they are either together or apart

swan85, dolfine56 et lolilola, merci! You all did really well with this "accent américain". J'ai trouvé que le mot « decedent » est principalement américain. On ne le trouve pas dans tous les dictionnaires anglais britanniques. L'étymologie de ce mot est intéressante.

Origin:
1590–1600; < Latin dēcēdent- (stem of dēcēdēns ) departing, withdrawing, present participle of dēcēdere. See decease

decease
(n) a more formal word for death
(vb) a more formal word for die

early 14c., from Fr. deces , from L. decessus "death," lit. "departure" (euphemism for mors ), from pp. stem of decedere "die," lit. "to go down, depart," from de- "away" + cedere "go" (see cede). Still used with a tinge of euphemism.

Lien Internet

A bientôt!

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de lucile83, postée le 13-03-2011 à 17:25:43 (S | E)
I am listening to the dialogue right now! I thought the day of the correction was the 14th!
Never mind, I haven't read the other messages
I'll post my text as soon as possible.

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de notrepere, postée le 13-03-2011 à 17:33:18 (S | E)
Hello Lucile

I'm sorry, I didn't think anyone else was going to do it and I won't have time to do the correction tomorrow! Well, now you have the correction which you can check.

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 13-03-2011 17:34

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de lucile83, postée le 13-03-2011 à 17:58:08 (S | E)
Hello dear np!

Here is my try; I'll check your correction afterwards, OK.
I haven't finished all of it, I will come back later, I have a lot of time now!

Perry Mason: Mrs Crandall, have you ever before heard the bell ring in the apartment across the way?

Hamilton Burger: Your Honour, I have a suggestion to make if Mr Mason's agreeable. Since this seems to be a question of how much Mrs Crandall could see from her bedroom window through a half-drawn shade of the apartment opposite hers, I suggest the jury be taken there and allowed to see for themselves.

Mason: This is a little unexpected, but the defence has no objection to such a visit, Your Honor.

Burger: Directly opposite this window is apartment number 4, the _____??? apartment.

Mason: Your Honor, this is manifestly unfair. The ringing of the bell is equivalent to the taking of testimony. The jury was brought here only to view the premisses, not to hear a bell.

Burger: Why Your Honor, I had no idea the bell was going to be rung. I simply told the deputy to go and disconnect it.

Burger: No, Your honor, it never occured to me he'd take it upon himself to -- [ bell ringing ] Stop ringing that bell!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 13-03-2011 18:26
It was rather hard to understand Perry Mason's strong accent!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 13-03-2011 20:57
Ok np for 'decedent's...' ! and why did I hear 'speculation' instead of 'stipulation'? Thank you anyway for this enjoyable exercise!

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de violet91, postée le 13-03-2011 à 19:19:51 (S | E)
Hello dear np and all,

. Never mind ..and never too late. Quite interesting and just fair from me to do.Very sorry but coming onto your exercise, I also discover you have already corrected it. I did warn "my" candidates on " Mr Adams' trial" there was that Perry Mason, perfectly on line to complete...and I almost missed it

Mason: That doesn't answer my question . I asked about the doorbell.

Mason: Then how can you be sure it was the doorbell and not hte telephone ?

Crandall: Well, for one thing, the shade was drawn , but I could see figures moving through an opening between the window and the shade.

Mason: I claim, Mrs Crandall, that you could not see figures through an opening only eight inches wide .

Hamilton Burger: Your Honor, I have a suggestion to make if Mr Mason's agreeable. Since this seems to be a question of how much Mrs Crandall could see from her bedroom window through a half-drawn shade of the apartment opposite hers , I suggest the jury be taken there and allowed to see for themselves .

Burger: Directly opposite this window is apartment number 4, the decedent's apartment.

Mason: Your Honor, this is manifestly unfair. The ringing of the bell is equivalent to the taking of testimony. The jury was brought here only to view the premises not to hear a bell. .

Burger: No, Your honor, it never occurred to me _____ _____ he'd take it upon himself to -- [ bell ringing ] Stop ringing that bell !

Mason: Thank you. Perhaps, at this time, the prosecution will also see ? fit?_ to introduce the alarm clock in evidence .

Hello dear lucile...j'ai pour ma part bien apprécié l'articulation et l'appui très marqué des accents toniques de Mason, la voix du juge.., l'accent parfaitement compréhensible de mrs Scandal !!..but, np, I found more difficult to catch what Burger said through his nose.
I deciphered "decedent's" and "see fit" by producing the sounds and deducing.I didn't know the word and expression.

Thank you so much indeed for posting this excerpt . I think the members of the site have had their amount of juridical words. See you on the next one, then.

-------------------
Modifié par violet91 le 13-03-2011 21:18

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de lucile83, postée le 13-03-2011 à 21:10:52 (S | E)
Hello dear violet,

L'accent de Perry Mason surprend mais on s'habitue en effet.
La miss a un bon accent.
Burger n'est pas mal du tout.
Le Judge...il avale les mots et ne les restitue qu'à moitié...berk!
The bell is OK.

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de violet91, postée le 13-03-2011 à 21:26:18 (S | E)

The bell sounds rather nice , true . I didn't even look at the judge ... I meant ..the sound of his deep low male voice , no more !!! You know me enough , don't you ?!!

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de notrepere, postée le 14-03-2011 à 01:51:14 (S | E)
Hello

"Better late than never" as they say. Sorry I had to end the exercise a little bit early, but one mustn't wait until the last minute.

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de lucile83, postée le 14-03-2011 à 08:24:56 (S | E)
Hello dear np,

I didn't wait until the last minute, I had no time to do the exercise before!

However if you wish so I suggest violet and I have one hour detention...

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de violet91, postée le 14-03-2011 à 12:48:05 (S | E)

--Oh ! La bonne camarade , alors !!! :
Np , connais - tu Jarnac ? Trafalgar ?...J'imagine... : si on avait fait ça...à nos élèves, pas vrai Lucile ? On les aurait " à dos" avec tous leurs parents et certains collègues !!! Si pas la direction !!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 14-03-2011 12:56

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de dolfine56, postée le 14-03-2011 à 15:44:56 (S | E)
Hello Np,
thank you so much for this exercise.

If Violet, herself, said:" I deciphered "decedent's" and "see fit" by producing the sounds and deducing.I didn't know the word and expression.", what do you want us to be able to do...?
so, we weren't too bad...
Will we leave the tribunal for another scene?

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de swan85, postée le 14-03-2011 à 21:38:36 (S | E)
Merci Notrepere pour cet exercice et à bientôt pour une autre série.

Réponse: Perry Mason, Attorney at Law/Ecouter de lolilola, postée le 28-03-2011 à 14:13:51 (S | E)
Merci, avec un peu de retard, pour le texte et la correction.
"stipulation", mon oreille ne voulait rien entendre d'autres que nananana!

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux