Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Exercise 44/Don't give up

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Exercise 44/Don't give up
Message de here4u posté le 06-06-2015 à 23:03:34 (S | E | F)
Hello, All of you, Dear Friends, and future Newcomers... Don't hesitate to try... and you'll stay!
I know that many of you found N°43 difficult... and it was, I had told you!
This one is a too, but it may be a little easier...
Collective correction on Wednesday, June17th.

I) Translate into English :
1) Quand j'étais petit, mon père me parlait souvent de la maison telle qu'elle était lorsqu'il l'avait connue et que ses parents étaient encore en vie
2) Il me parlait de l'arbre qui poussait dans le jardin derrière la maison et me racontait comment sa soeur et lui y lisaient à l'ombre, pendant des heures …
3) Je n'ai pas l'habitude que l'on me parle ainsi ! Je ne le supporterai pas, tu le sais bien … alors, calme-toi !
4) Il m’a affirmé qu'il téléphonerait une fois arrivé à bon port. Préviens-moi quand il le fera ...
5) N'ayant pas l'habitude d'être traitée en grande dame, elle était très intimidée et avait les larmes qui lui montaient aux yeux lors de ses premiers mots.
6) Travailler si peu n'est pas raisonnable. Tes examens approchent et comme tu n’as rien fait de l'année, tu ferais mieux de renoncer à faire des études dans ces conditions et d’aider ton père dans son entreprise !
7) Alors qu'elle entrait dans la banque en boitant, elle vit le cambrioleur menaçant le caissier pour qu'il lui donne l'argent de la caisse et du coffre ...

8) Ecrire en toutes lettres (sans rien oublier! ) :
- 42 600 349 :
- 59 703 021 :
- 945 034 :

II) Translate into French:
‘Mallory arrived at the campus theater just behind Gaynor. She stood on the top step and casually perused the playbill set in glass to one side of the entrance. […]
She knew the building well from student days.
She entered the shoe-box lobby as Gaynor was disappearing through the door which led into the theater. A young woman stepped between Mallory and the door. Hands on hips, the woman tossed back her long frizz of brown hair, which might have passed for long waves of rusted steel wool.’

Carol O'Connel, Mallory's Oracle
1994. Penguin

Do great, as usual !

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 06-06-2015 23:10
-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 16-06-2015 18:53
Date de correction modifiée.

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de alpiem, postée le 09-06-2015 à 12:05:31 (S | E)
Hello !!here again thanks to you!

I)Translate:
1)When I was young my father used to tell me about the house like it was when he had first known it and that his parents were still alive.
2)He told me about the tree which was growing in the backyard and how his sister and he were used to reading under it in the shade during hours...
3)I'm not used to being spoken to in this manner ! I won't bear it, you know it well...So calm down!
4)He assured me that he would phone us once he had reached his destination.Keep me posted when he does..
5)Not being used to be cared for as a great lady, she was much daunted and it brought tears to her eyes when she uttered her first words.
6)To work so little is not reasonable. Your exams are nearing and since you didn't do anything during your schoolyear, if that's the way it is, you'd better abandon doing further studies and help your father do his work in his undertaking.
7)At the very time she limped into the bank office,she saw the burglar threatening the cashier in order that he would hand him over the money from the register and from the safe..
8)42, 600, 349:forty-two million six hundred thousand three hundred and forty-nine.
59, 703, 021:fifty-nine million seven hundred and three thousand twenty-one.
945, 034: nine hundred and forty-five thousand thirty-four. ( après vérification!! )

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de maxwell, postée le 09-06-2015 à 21:56:42 (S | E)
Thanks for this great exercise Here4U .
I've finished my try. I hope I didn't make too many mistakes.
Have a wonderful week

I)
1) When I was a child, my father used to tell me about the house as it looked like when he had known it and his parents were still alive (I initially put "had been alive" but it doesn't sound right)
2) He talked to me about the tree which was growing in the garden behind the house, and told me how his sister and he had been reading there for hours, under its shadow.
3) I'm not used to being talked like that ! I won't stand it, you know that very well... So calm down!
4) He assured me he would telephone once he arrived at destination. Let me know when he does it...
5) As she wasn't used to being regarded as a great lady, she was very intimidated and tears were filling her eyes as she was pronouncing her first words.
6) Working so little is not reasonable. Your exams are coming, and since you have done nothing during the whole year, you'd better give up on studying in these circumstances, and help your father in his business !
7) As she was limping into the bank, she saw the burglar threatening the cashier into giving him the money from the till and the safe...

8)
- 42 600 349 : forty-two million six hundred thousand three hundred and forty-nine
- 59 703 021 : fifty-nine million seven hundred and three thousand and twenty-one
- 945 034 : nine hundred and forty-five thousand and thirty-four

II)
Mallory arriva à la salle de cinéma juste après Gaynor. Elle resta en haut des marches et parcourut distraitement l'affiche exposée dans un panneau vitré sur un côté de l'entrée. […]
Elle connaissait bien le bâtiment depuis qu'elle était étudiante. Elle entra dans le hall aussi exigu qu'une boîte à chaussures au moment où Gaynor disparaissait par la porte qui menait à la salle de cinéma. Une jeune femme s'avança entre Malory et la porte. Les mains sur les hanches, elle rejeta en arrière ses longs frisottis bruns, qui auraient pu passer pour de longues ondulations de laine d'acier rouillé.

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de flobleu, postée le 10-06-2015 à 16:57:23 (S | E)
Hello Here4u ! Here is my try, I did it my best ! Thanks for your help and have a nice day.

1) Quand j'étais petit, mon père me parlait souvent de la maison telle qu'elle était lorsqu'il l'avait connue et que ses parents étaient encore en vie
When I was young, my father often talked about the way the house was when he had known it and when their parents were still alive
2) Il me parlait de l'arbre qui poussait dans le jardin derrière la maison et me racontait comment sa soeur et lui y lisaient à l'ombre, pendant des heures …
He talked about the tree which was growing in the garden behind the house and told me how his sister and him had been reading there for hours in the shade.
3) Je n'ai pas l'habitude que l'on me parle ainsi ! Je ne le supporterai pas, tu le sais bien … alors, calme-toi !
I am not use to that we talked to me ! I can stand it, you know it… then be quiet
4) Il m’a affirmé qu'il téléphonerait une fois arrivé à bon port. Préviens-moi quand il le fera ...
He claimed he would phone me when he arrived safe and sound. Let me know when he’ll do it.
5) N'ayant pas l'habitude d'être traitée en grande dame, elle était très intimidée et avait les larmes qui lui montaient aux yeux lors de ses premiers mots.
As she wasn’t use to be treated as a great woman, she was very shy and got tears in her eyes during her first words.
6) Travailler si peu n'est pas raisonnable. Tes examens approchent et comme tu n’as rien fait de l'année, tu ferais mieux de renoncer à faire des études dans ces conditions et d’aider ton père dans son entreprise !
Work so few isn’t reasonable. Your exams are closed and as you have done nothing all year long, you will better give up studying in this condition and give a hand to your father’s enterprise.
7) Alors qu'elle entrait dans la banque en boitant, elle vit le cambrioleur menaçant le caissier pour qu'il lui donne l'argent de la caisse et du coffre ...
Whereas she was entering, limping in the bank, she saw the thief threatening the cashier in order to give him the money from the till and the safe.

- 42 600 349 : forty two millions six hundred thousand and three hundred forty nine
- 59 703 021 : fifty nine millions seven hundred and three thousand and twenty one
- 945 034 : nine hundred forty five thousand and thirty four

‘Mallory arrived at the campus theater just behind Gaynor. She stood on the top step and casually perused the playbill set in glass to one side of the entrance. […]
She entered the shoe-box lobby as Gaynor was disappearing through the door which led into the theater. A young woman stepped between Malory and the door. Hands on hips, the woman tossed back her long frizz of brown hair, which might have passed for long waves of rusted steel wool.’

Mallory arriva sur le théâtre du campus juste derrière Gaynor. Elle se tenait en haut de l’escalier et nonchalamment examina le programme placé dans un verre d’un côté de l’entrée. …
Elle connaissait très bien le bâtiment depuis ses études.
Elle entra dans le vestibule grand comme une boîte à chaussures alors que Gaynor disparaissait dans l’entrée qui menait dans le théâtre. Une jeune femme marcha entre Malory et la porte. Les mains sur les hanches, la femme lança en arrière ses longs cheveux frisés et bruns, qui aurait pu passer pour des longues ondulations en laine d’acier rouillé.

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de taiji43, postée le 11-06-2015 à 21:41:23 (S | E)
here4u thank you for this 44th exercise
I am very glad to send you my try from Brittany.
I)
1) When I was a child, my father used to tell me about the house just in the same way as when he had known it and during the time his parents were still alive .
2) He talked to me about the tree which was growing in the garden behind the house, and told me how his sister and he had been reading there for hours on end' under its shadow.
3) I won't take being talked like this . I am not used to it.
4) He assured me he would telephone as soon as he arrives at destination. Let me know when he does it.
5) As she wasn't used to being regarded as a great lady, she was very intimidated and she was on the verge of tears as she was pronouncing her first words.
6) Working so little is not reasonable. Your exams are coming soon and since you have done nothing all over this year, you'd better give up studying in these conditions, and help your father in his own business.
7) As she was limping into the bank, she saw the burglar threatening the cashier so that he should give the money from the till and the safe.
8) 
- 42 600 349 : forty-two million six hundred thousand three hundred and forty-nine
- 59 703 021 : fifty-nine million seven hundred and three thousand and twenty-one
- 945 034 : nine hundred and forty-five thousand and thirty-four.

Hello Here 4u ,here is my translation from Brittany.
Mallory arriva à l'amphithéâtre après Gaynor. Elle resta en haut des marches et parcourut distraitement l'affiche exposée dans un panneau vitré sur un côté de l'entrée.
Elle connaissait bien le bâtiment depuis le début de ses études . Elle entra dans le hall aussi exigu qu'une boîte à chaussures au moment où Gaynor disparaissait par la porte qui menait au théâtre . Une jeune femme s'avança entre Malory et la porte. Les mains sur les hanches, elle rejeta en arrière ses longs cheveux bruns frisés qui auraient pu passer pour de longues ondulations de laine d'acier rouillé

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de notrepere, postée le 11-06-2015 à 23:22:37 (S | E)
Bonjour
1) When I was young, my father often told me of the house as it was when he had known it and when his parent were still alive.
2) He told me of the tree that grew in the garden behind the house and recounted how he and his sister had read for hours in its shade.
3) I'm not accustomed to being spoken to in that way! I won't stand for it, you well know... OK, take a chill pill!
4) He assured me that he would phone us once he had reached his destination. Let me know when he does...
5) As she wasn't used to being treated like a woman of any consequence, she felt very intimidated and tears filled her eyes as she spoke her first words.
6) Slacking off was not wise. Your exams are approaching and since you have done nothing all year long, it would be better for you, under the circumstances, to renounce your studies and help your father run his company.
7) While she was limping into the bank, she saw the burglar frightening the cashier into giving him the money from the till and the safe...

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de mamou3, postée le 12-06-2015 à 07:09:06 (S | E)
Hello Here4u, Hello everybody !
Here is my try !

I. Translate into English
1. When I was a child, my father often told me about the house as it was when he had known it and when his parents were still alive.
2. He told me of the tree which grew in the garden behind the house and how he and his sister had been reading there in its shade for hours.
3. I didn't use to be told as well ! I couldn't stand that and you know that then calm down.
4. He assured me that he would call me once arrived safely. Let me know when it does.
5. Didn't use to be treated like a great woman, she was very fozed and tears had come to her eyes when she heard his first words.
6. Working so little isn't wise. Your exams are approaching and as you did nothing this year, you would better giving up to study in these conditions and helping your father in his business.
7. While she was coming into the bank lamely, she saw the burglar threatening the cashier so that he gives him money from the cash register and the safe.

II. en toutes lettres
42 600 349 : forty-two milion six hundred thousand three hundred and forty-nine
59 703 021 : fifty-nine milion seven hundred and three thousand and twenty-one
945 034 : nine hundred and forty-five thousand and thirty-four

III. en français
Mallory arriva au théâtre du campus juste derrière Gaynor. Elle resta en haut des marches et parcourut distraitement l'affiche exposée dans la vitrine sur le côté de l'entrée(...). Elle connaissait bien le bâtiment depuis qu'elle y avait été étudiante. Elle entra dans le hall de la taille d'une boite à chaussures au moment où Gaynor disparaissait par la porte qui menait à la salle de cinéma. Une jeune femme s'avança entre Mallory et la porte. Mains sur les hanches, elle rejeta en arrière les longues mèches crépues de sa chevelure brune qui auraient pu passer pour de longues vagues de laine d'acier rouillé.

Thank you again ! - OK for the correction...

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de tereda, postée le 12-06-2015 à 11:03:42 (S | E)
hello everyone, this is my try,

1. When I was a child, my father often spoke of this house such as it was when he came the first time, his parents still alive.
2. He told me about the tree which grew up behind the house, and he told me how he and his sister were reading there, during hours, in the shade.
3. I am not used that someone speaks like you do ! I can't stand that for a long time, you know well, so, calm down.
3. I am not used to this way of speaking to me !
4. He told me he would call once arrived safely. Let me know when he will do.
5. Not Being accustomed to be considered as a Lady, she was very intimidated and she had tears to her eyes when she began to speak.
6. Working so little is not reasonable. Your exam is coming, now, and as you did nothing during the year, you'd better to give up studies, in these conditions, and help your father in the company.
7. As she was entering in the bank, limping, she saw the burglar threatening the cashier, to force him to give him the money of the safe.

II.
42 600 349 : Forty-two million, six hundred thousand and three hundred and forty-nine.
59 703 021 : Fifty-nine million, seven hundred and three thousand, and twenty-one.
945 034 : Nine hundred and forty-five thousand, and thirty-four.

Mallory arriva à l'amphithéâtre juste derrière Gaynor. Elle resta sur la dernière marche et désinvolte, consulta l'affiche accrochée sous verre, d'un côté de l'entrée. Elle connaissait bien les lieux, du temps de ses études.
Elle pénétra dans le hall, aussi exigu qu'une boîte à chaussures, au moment où Gaynor disparaissait vers la porte qui donnait sur le théâtre. Une jeune fille se situait là, entre Mallory et la porte. Les mains sur les hanches, la jeune femme repoussa ses longues boucles de cheveux bruns à l'arrière, On aurait dit de longues vagues de laine d'acier couleur rouille.
Carol O'Connel, Mallory's Oracle - 1994. Penguin

I think I won't come to change anything, now, thanks to you here4u, for your correction.

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de cecile22, postée le 12-06-2015 à 21:16:09 (S | E)
Hello !
Here is my try !
Have a nice week-end

1) When I was a little boy, my father would often talk to me about how the house was when he had known it and when his parents were still alive.
2) He would talk to me about the tree which was growing in the garden at the back of the house and told me how his sister and himself would read for hours there in the shadow...
3) I am not used to being spoken to that way ! I will not stand it and you know it... so, calm down !
4) He assured me that he would phone once he had arrived safe and sound. Let me know when he will...
5) As she was not used to being treated like a lady, she felt very timid and had tears coming to her eyes on uttering her first words.
6) Working so little is not reasonable. Your exams are drawing near and as you have not done anything this year, you'd better give up studying in those conditions and help your father in his firm !
7) As she was limping into the bank, she saw the burglar who was threatening the cashier into giving him the money that was in the till and in the safe...

8) Ecrire en toutes lettres (sans rien oublier! ) : 
- 42 600 349 :forty-two million six hundred thousand three hundred and forty-nine
- 59 703 021 : fifty-nine million seven hundred and three thousand twenty-one
- 945 034 : nine hundred and forty-five thousand thirty-four

Mallory arriva à la salle de cinéma du campus immédiatement après Gaynor. Elle s'arrêta sur la marche supérieure et parcourut d'un œil distrait l'affiche qui se trouvait derrière une vitre d'un côté de l'entrée. […] Elle connaissait bien ce bâtiment qu'elle avait fréquenté lorsqu'elle était étudiante.
Elle entra dans le hall qui était minuscule juste au moment où Gaynor disparaissait par la porte qui menait dans la salle de cinéma. Une jeune femme se tenait entre Mallory et la porte. Les mains sur les hanches, la femme rejeta en arrière ses longs cheveux châtain foncé tout frisés que l'on aurait pu prendre pour de longs fils ondulés de laine d'acier rouillée.

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de siren12, postée le 13-06-2015 à 08:58:39 (S | E)
Hello Here4u
I hope you're doing very well and my try wouldn't give you too much work.
I did my best.
Thanks a lot for your remarks and correction
Have a nice weekend!

When I was young, my father often told me, how the house looked like when he had known it, and his parents were still alive.

He talked to me about the tree which was growing in the backyard, and how his sister and he were reading, below the shadow for hours...

I'm not used to being spoken to me that way! I couldn't stand it. You know that well...so, calm down !

He said he'd call once he arrived safe and sound. Warn me when he makes it...

Not used being treated like a great lady, she felt so shy and tears were coming in the eyes while saying her first words.

Working so little isn't sensible. Your tests are coming soon, and as you hasn't done anything during the year, you'd better give up the studies in these conditions, and help your father in his company.

While she limped into the bank, she saw the burglar threatening the cashier in order to give him all the cash contented in the till and safe.

8) Ecrire en toutes lettres (sans rien oublier!
- 42 600 349 : forty-two million, six hundred thousand, three hundred and forty-nine
- 59 703 021 : fifty-nine million, seven hundred and three thousand, and twenty-one
- 945 034 : nine hundred forty-five thousand, and thirty-four

She entered the shoe-box lobby as Gaynor was disappearing through the door which led into the theater. A young woman stepped between Malory and the door. Hands on hips, the woman tossed back her long frizz of brown hair, which might have passed for long waves of rusted steel wool.’

Mallory arriva au théâtre du campus juste après Gaynor. Elle se tenait sur la plus haute marche de l'escalier, parcourant distraitement l'affiche-programme, placée sur le panneau vitré de l'entrée.(...)
Elle connaissait très bien le bâtiment, pour y avoir été, longtemps étudiante.
Elle pénétra dans le hall d'entrée, grand comme une boîte à chaussure, par où Gaynor s'était éclipsé, en ouvrant la porte, qui le menait au théâtre.
De là, une jeune femme, mains sur les hanches, s'avançait vers Mallory, elle releva ses longs cheveux bruns frisotés sur les épaules nous laissant imaginer des grandes vagues paille de fer à l'écume rouille.

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de jo06, postée le 13-06-2015 à 09:01:21 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,
Thank you very much for this exercise.
This is my work and it’s OK for me.

I)Translate into English.
1)When I was a kid,my father often told me about the house like it was when he had known it and his parents were still alive.
2)He told me about the treethat was growing in the background of the house and how his sister and he were reading there in the shade for hours.
3)I am not used to being talked like that!I wouldn’t bear it,You know that…so calm down!
4)He assured me he would call once he arrived safely.Let me know when he does.
5)Being not used to being treated like a princess,she was very browbeaten and had tears coming to her eyes during her first words.
6)Working so little is not reasonable.Your exams are coming up and as you have made nothing for the year,you would better drop out studying in such conditions and help your father in his business.
7)As she entered the bank with a limp,she saw the burglar threatening the cashier to hand him the money from the cashdesk and the safe.

8)Chiffres en lettres.
42 600 349=Forty-two million six hundred thousand three hundred and forty-nine.
59 703 021=Fifty-nine million seven hundred and three thousand and twenty –one.
945 034= Nine hundred and forty-five thousand and thirty-four.

II)Translate into French.
Mallory arriva au théâtre du campus juste derrière Gaynor.Elle se tenait sur la dernière marche et parcourut nonchalamment l’affiche sous verre dans un côté de l’entrée.Elle connaissait bien le bâtiment depuis sa période d’études.
Elle entra dans la minuscule entrée alors que Gaynor disparaissait par la porte qui menait au théâtre.Une jeune femme avançait entre Malory et la porte.Les mains sur les hanches,la femme rejetait en arrière ses longs cheveux bruns frisés,qui ressemblaient à des vagues de laine d’acier rouillée.

"I won't give up"

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de chrys, postée le 14-06-2015 à 09:46:54 (S | E)
Hello, here4u !!
I try to answer only one part of the exercise, I don't have the level to do the whole translation. Translating numbers is, at the moment, the best I can do.
I wanted to say "Je me lance", but I don't know how to say it ...

8)
- 42 600 349 : forty-two million, six hundred thousand, three hundred and forty-nine
- 59 703 021 : fifty-nine million, seventy hundred and three thousand, and twenty-one
- 945 034 : ninety hundred and forty-five thousand, and thirty-four

Have a nice Sunday, you and all those who will come here !!!!!
Chrys

-------------------
Modifié par chrys le 17-06-2015 22:26

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de joe39, postée le 14-06-2015 à 11:59:01 (S | E)
Hello,
Hello dear here4u.
Here I'm to submit my try.

When I was a child, my father told me that the house was exactly the one he had known on his infancy and that his parents were still alive.
He spoke to me of the tree that had grown in the garden behind the house and how he and his sister had been reeding reading in the shade for hours.
I'm not accustomed being addressed that way! I won't stand it...you perfectly know.... therefore, calm down !
He told me he would call once arrived safely. Please let me know when he will…
She was not used to being treated like a great lady and she became very shy, her eyes filled with tears, when she said her first words.
Working so little is senseless. Since your exams are approaching and you didn't do anything all year long, you'd better give up such way of study and help your father in his business, instead.
No sooner had she entered limping the bank, than she saw the robber had been threatening the cashier, to obtain that all the cash and safe money were to be given to him.
- 59 703 021 : fifty-nine million, seven hundred and three thousand, and twenty-one.
- 945 034 : nine hundred forty-five thousand, and thirty-four.

She entered the shoe-box lobby as Gaynor was disappearing through the door which led into the theater. A young woman stepped between Mallory and the door. Hands on hips, the woman tossed back her long frizz of brown hair, which might have passed for long waves of rusted steel wool.’

Mallory arriva au théâtre du campus juste derrière Gaynor. Elle se trouvait sur la marche plus haute et distraitement lut l’affiche sous verre, exposée l’un des côtés de l’entrée…
Elle connaissait très bien l’édifice depuis elle était de ses jours d’étudiante.
Elle entra dans le hall du bâtiment qui ressamblait à une boite à chaussures depuis Gaynor disparut par la porte qui menait dans le théâtre. Une jeune femme s’interposa entre Mallory e la porte.
Les mains sur les hanches, la femme rejeta en arrière, avec un hochement de la tête, sa longue crinière de cheveux bruns bouclés, qui ressemblait a une boule de laine d’acier rouillée.

I do hope having I have done a decent work.
Waiting for your corrections and comments, I wish you a nice Sunday.
Yours friendly
Joe39

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 14-06-2015 19:17

-------------------
Modifié par joe39 le 17-06-2015 19:32

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de icare29, postée le 14-06-2015 à 18:18:58 (S | E)
Hello here4u here is my work.
I have done my best ; I think it's OK for me

1-When I was Young my father often talked to to me about the house as it was when he had known it and his parents were still alive
2- He talked to me about the tree which was growing in the house's backyard and told me how his sister and he had been reading in the shade of it for hours
3- I am't used to being spoken in this manner . I won't bear it , you know it and then, calm down
4- He assured me he would phone once he arrived safely at his final destination . let me know when he does it
5-Not having be used to being considered as a great lady , she was really intimidated and she had tears which rose up to her eyes during her first words
6- Working so little isn't reasonable .You have exams coming up and as you haven't done anything during the whole year , you had better give up the idea of studying under these conditions and help your father in his company
7- As she came in the bank limping along , she saw the robber threatening the cashier into giving him the money of the till and the safe

- 42 600 349 :forty-two million six hundred thousand three hundred and forty- nine
- 945 034 : nine hundred and forty-five thousand and thirty-four

Mallory arriva au théatre du campus juste derrière Gaynor . Elle se tenait sur la plus haute marche et examinait d'un air distrait l'affiche qui était insérée dans un coffret vitré placé sur le côté de l'entrée .
Elle connaissait bien le bâtiment pour l'avoir fréquenté étant étudiante . Elle entra dans le vestibule qui paraissait aussi exigu qu'une boîte à chaussures quand Gaynor disparut derrière la porte qui menait au théatre. Une jeune femme s'avança d'un pas entre Mallory et la porte . Mains sur les hanches elle tordait ses long frissotis de cheveux bruns , lesquels auraient pu passer pour des longues mèches torsadées de laine d'acier rouillé .

for this new exercise

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de here4u, postée le 15-06-2015 à 08:59:07 (S | E)
Hello all of you !
That's what's wonderful with you all... I think my corrections are done (for now) and when I come here, I have 'a few' more tries waiting.... (You work so much and I'm ever so happy about it!)
Well done, Chrys, here ! It's good to see that you've 'taken the plunge'! and when swimming with s, you become a yourself!!!
Have a wonderful week!

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de chrys, postée le 15-06-2015 à 12:48:22 (S | E)
Hello !!!!!
It's great to read a message like yours, here4u, to begin a new week !
"We are the s ... " (I don't sing it, it's better for the weather !!!!!)
Congratulations for everybody, so !!!!!
Next time, I will try a little more.
Thanks, here4u, for your time that you spend for our learning.
Thanks for the others : all I read here helps me to improve my English step by step.
Have an excellent week !
Chrys

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de lakata, postée le 16-06-2015 à 08:49:57 (S | E)
Hello dear Here4u!
For once, I'm not the last one...

1) Translate into English:
1) Quand j'était petit, mon père me parlait souvent de la maison telle qu'elle était lorsqu'il l'avait connue et que ses parents étaient encore en vie.
When I was a child, my father would tell me about the house at the time he'd known it when his parents were still alive.

2) Il me parlait de l'arbre qui poussait dans le jardin derrière la maison et me racontait comment sa sœur et lui y lisaient à l'ombre pendant des heures.
He would tell me about the tree growing in the backyard and relate how his sister and he would read in its shade for hours

3) Je n'ai pas l'habitude que l'on me parle ainsi ! Je ne le supporterai pas, tu le sais bien Alors, calme-toi.
I'm not used to being spoken to like that! I won't stand it and you do know it. So, please, calm down!

4) Il m'a affirmé qu'il téléphonerait une fois arrivé à bon port. Préviens moi quand il le fera.
He claimed he would phone when he had arrived safe and sound. Please, let me know when he does.

5) N'ayant pas l'habitude d'être traitée en grande dame, elle était très intimidée et les larmes lui montèrent aux yeux lors de ses premiers mots.
Being not accostumed to be treated as a lady, she felt very intimidated and had tears in her eyes as she began to speak.

6) Travailler si peu n'est pas raisonnable.Tes examens approchent et comme tu n'as rien fait de l'année, tu ferais mieux de renoncer à faire des études dans ces conditions et d'aider ton père dans son entreprise.
It isn't sensible for you to work so little. Your exams are coming up and after doing nothing for a year, you'd better give up studying that way and help your father in his company.

7) Alors qu'elle entrait dans la banque en boitant, elle vit le cambrioleur menaçant le caissier pour qu'il lui donne l'argent de la caisse et du coffre.
As she limped into the bank, she saw the robber threatening the cashier into giving the money from the till and the safe.

8) Écrire en toutes lettres :
-59 703 021 : fifty-nine million seven hundred and three thousand and twenty-one
945 034 : nine hundred and forty-five thousand and thirty-four

Thank you for all and particularly for the "structure résultative" of number seven !
Have a good and peaceful day! .

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de here4u, postée le 16-06-2015 à 09:05:34 (S | E)
Hello Lakata!
Thanks for your work! Still a lot of time for you all to post!
Lakata, Tuesdays may be good - I hope this one will - but they're never peaceful! I'm used to them...
Have a great and sunny day!

Edit : 16/06 10H30:
Normalement, pas trop de temps restant pour poster ...(sigh) MAIS JE VOUS DONNE UNE RALLONGE car j'en ai besoin d'une moi aussi ...
Je vais essayer de poster toutes vos corrections (qui sont prêtes, mais il me faut mon ordi où j'ai mon Word ...) ET le 45 pour ce soir, (tard sans doute... je ne suis pas douée!) mais la correction collective sera MERCREDI 17 (demain) Sorry ... je ne peux pas mieux ... Les fins d'années scolaires sont épouvantables ...
(Avec le nouveau module de notre Master , je ne peux plus toucher à la date donnée sur le post initial ... mais je répète :
correction collective mercredi 17

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de tereda, postée le 16-06-2015 à 12:10:05 (S | E)
Take your time, dear here4u, We are not in a hurry, but in the pleasure to know more!!!

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de lakata, postée le 16-06-2015 à 18:23:13 (S | E)

Et moi qui étais toute fière d'avoir rendu ma copie en avance...J'avais lu que la correction était prévue pour...Thursday !!!

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de chrys, postée le 16-06-2015 à 22:52:52 (S | E)
Don't worry, here4u, we can wait a little before the next exercise !!!!! We are patient

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de here4u, postée le 16-06-2015 à 23:46:46 (S | E)
le 45 est en ligne et les 9 premiers 'tries' sont postés ...
Je voulais terminer, mais là,je ne me sens pas très bien et ne fais que des bêtises en piquant du nez sur mon nouvel ordi!... La fin demain matin ...C'est promis,mais là...
Sorry ! A demain !

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de chrys, postée le 17-06-2015 à 06:58:48 (S | E)
I didn't know what to do this week and the next, now I know : I will try to do the 45th exercise. Thanks ...

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de here4u, postée le 17-06-2015 à 12:50:26 (S | E)
Helloooo!
Wonderful Chrys ! By now, you must have received your very good try... and my mp. Do not hesitate to ask questions if necessary...
All corrections have been sent and the collective one will be online tonight (I know some of you would still want to post! Do it,please!
These latest exercises have made me realize how hopeless I was at computing... and that even if I corrected 'as and when the ready tries' arrived, it took me h o o o o o u r s ... to transfer all (the many - twice as many as I expected, in fact... WOW!) the corrections from Word (hence the parentheses, as the colours are lost in the transfer...) to AF in one go.
Therefore, from now on, I'll start sending part of the corrections (on 'a first-come-first served basis') two days before the collective correction and the second part on the following day (= one day before the collective correction.) OK!That's the 'price' to pay for the success of these exercises, and your outstanding appetite and desire to work!
I'm really amazed and delighted at your eagerness to work and thrilled by all the messages you send to say how they help and what could be done to help more too... This feedback is precious to me!
Have a wonderful day ...and think about all the 'poor' students who are on tenterhooks these days... may the FORCE be with them too!

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de here4u, postée le 17-06-2015 à 23:28:25 (S | E)
Hello!!! Dear all!
La voici, votre correction ... Le travail n'était pas facile, ... la correction non plus !
Exercise 44 : Don’t give up !

When I was little, my father would speak to me about the house as it used to be when he had known it and when his parents were still alive.

-‘would’= forme fréquentative qui indique la REPETITION D’UNE ACTION DANS LE PASSE ; ici, il était aussi, à la rigueur, possible d’utiliser 'USED TO + infinitif' (qui indique la rupture d’une action entre le passé et le présent, mais pas la répétition de l'action ; (maintenant, le locuteur ne parle plus à son père à ce sujet). Ce ‘would’ se traduit, en français par un imparfait.
- ‘the house as it used to be’ implique que la maison a changé depuis ce temps là.
- le dernier verbe de la phrase est au prétérit puisqu’il appartient au passé révolu ; 'the parents were alive: now, they’re dead'.

He would talk to me about the tree growing in the garden behind the house and would tell me how he and his sister would read in its shade for hours…

- Le père a parlé à l’enfant de nombreuses fois => à nouveau ‘would’ fréquentatif.
- je n’ai pas aimé le prétérit simple ‘grew’ alors que l’action de pousser était lente et continue, en progression (aspect qui implique la forme en –ing) mais trouvais que la phrase était alourdie avec ‘was growing’ et ai donc sous-entendu l’auxiliaire que tout le monde comprend implicitement.
- pour éviter le déchirement de mettre ‘his sister and him’(relire l’histoire de Saint Peter! ) … j’ai inversé en mettant : ‘he and his sister’ qui me venait plus naturellement.
- à l’ombre : 2 mots en anglais (ombre portée ou pas !)
Wordreference nous donne :
Shade :
• the darkness caused by the screening of rays of light from an area, or a place where this is found:to stand in the shade of a big tree.
• [countable]something that reduces or shuts out heat or light, as on a window or a lamp.shades,
shadow /ˈʃædoʊ/n.
1. [countable]a dark image cast on a surface by a body that blocks light:watched her shadow grow shorter, then longer.
2. [uncountable]shade or some darkness:standing in shadow.
3. shadows, [plural] darkness:the shadows of the night; Shadows are falling.
-Attention à la différence entre ‘during’ (réponse à la question ‘When did …?’ et ‘for’, (réponse à la question ‘How long … ?’)

I’m not used to being spoken to in such a way! I won’t stand it, and you know it well… Then, calm down!

- je n’ai pas l’habitude de boire = I’m not used to drinking
- Parler à quelqu'un = to speak TO somebody(au passif, on doit retrouver ce TO)
- ‘que l’on me parle’ = action passive. Quelqu’un me parle = I’m spoken to.
(BON OK ! J’ai été vraiment méchante de cumuler les difficultés ainsi… but I know you like that! )
- je ne le supporte pas = I can’t bear it ; I can’t stand it.
- être calme = to be calm/quiet=> se calmer = to calm down.

He claimed he would call me once he had arrived safe. Please, let me know when he does.

-‘He claimed’= he told me… = introduction à un discours indirect => pas de futur derrière le ’once’ de la subordonnée, comme la principale est au passé, il faut mettre un passé ou un past perfect qui est bien mieux ici pour exprimer l’antériorité.
-‘Préviens-moi’ introduit aussi un discours indirect => toujours pas de futur ! Soupir ! Oui … je suis très méchante !

Not used to being treated like a lady, she felt quite intimidated and her eyes filled with tears as she was uttering her first words.

- As I’m not used to + ing => ‘Not being used to being treated…’ = littéral et très lourd => j’allège !
-‘a woman’ n’allait pas, sauf si vous rajoutiez ‘of any consequence’ (hello NP !)
- Etre traité = to be treated ; being treated = forme passive.
- to pronounce/to utter

6) Travailler si peu n'est pas raisonnable. Tes examens approchent et comme tu n’as rien fait de l'année, tu ferais mieux de renoncer à faire des études dans ces conditions, et d’aider ton père dans son entreprise !
Studying so little isn’t wise at all! Your exams are approaching and as you’ve done nothing during the school year, under these circumstances, you’d better give up studying and help your father run his business.

- Travailler = 'le fait de travailler', d’étudier => studying. Si vous écrivez ‘to study’= pour travailler = in order to study = so as to study.
- être raisonnable = to be reasonable =to be sensible ; to be wise = être sage, raisonnable.
- ‘Tu n’as rien fait’ est un bilan d’action => il faut utiliser le present perfect => you’ve done nothing/you haven’t done anything.
- Renoncer à faire des études = arrêter de faire des études = to stop/to quit studying/ to drop out of school.
- Work in your father’s firm/company/business ; to run a business = faire marcher une entreprise.

Just as she was limping into the bank, she saw the burglar threatening the cashier into giving him the money from the till and the safe.

- While/As/When
- Boiter = to limp => ‘to limp into the bank’ est ce que l’on appelle 'une résultative' ; Le résultat de l’action est 'l’entrée dans le lieu' = INTO; le moyen, la manière = to limp (on aurait pu avoir courir => she ran into; sautiller => to hop ; hopping/leaping (why not ?) entrer en rampant =’crawling into. J'ai eu envie de la faire boiter...Pourquoi pas ? La résultative était pour faire plaisir à l'une d'entre vous !
- menacer quelqu’un pour qu’il … => to threaten somebody into doing something (test 105346) Dissuader = to talk someone out of doing stg…

8) Write in full letters:
Rappel :
- Hundred, thousand, million précédés d’un nombre sont invariables.
- Entre ‘millions’ et ‘milliers', ‘centaines’, on met une virgule à l’écrit et pour l’oral c’est l’intonation qui montre la ’pause’…
- Entre centaines et dizaines on met ‘and’ ( surtout !)
- Entre dizaines et unités on met un -

- 42 600 349 : Forty-two million, six hundred thousand, three hundred and forty-nine.
- 59 703 021 : Fifty-nine million, seven hundred and three thousand, and twenty-one. (pas de centaines, mais il me faut le ’and’ quand même!)
- 945 034 : Nine hundred and forty-five thousand, and thirty-four. (idem)

C. O'Connel, Mallory's Oracle

Mallory arriva au théâtre du campus juste derrière Gaynor. Elle resta(1)en haut de l’escalier et,(2)sans en avoir l’air, parcourut (3) attentivement le programme affiché sous verre(4) sur l’un des murs de l’entrée.
Elle avait bien connu ce bâtiment quand elle était étudiante ;(4bis)
Elle pénétra dans ce couloir qui n’était pas plus grand qu’une boite à chaussures(5) au moment ou Gaynor disparaissait par la porte qui menait au théâtre(6). Une jeune femme s’avança et se planta entre Mallory et la porte. Les (7) mains sur les hanches, elle rejeta en arrière ses longs cheveux frisés châtain foncé ; on aurait dit de longs rouleaux de laine d’acier(8) rouillée.
(1) to stand= être debout, rester debout (test 107854)
(2) casual=> casually = de façon décontractée, d’un œil distrait … MAIS’
(3) perused’ = lire avec attention => contradiction que j’ai conservée.(Je ne veux pas trahir l’auteur ! = ‘fidélité au texte’ )
(4bis) ‘Elle connaissait bien ce bâtiment qu'elle avait fréquenté lorsqu'elle était étudiante’ est excellent bravo; Je n’ai pas aimé ‘elle connaissait bien le bâtiment depuis qu’elle y était étudiante’ (qui voudrait dire qu’elle l’est encore !)’elle y avait été ’était OK.
(4) Affiché sous verre … ce qui ne veut tout de même pas dire ‘en vitrine’ ou ‘dans une vitrine’…
(5) Là aussi, j’ai respecté l’auteur … Il aurait pu mettre ‘minuscule’, ou ‘sans fenêtre’(aveugle), ‘exigu’ etc. qui existent tous en anglais …il a choisi ‘la boite à chaussures’, c’est son droit, et je dois le respecter !
(6) theater = salle de spectacles et pas uniquement de cinéma !
(7) Ici, en revanche, je dois privilégier la correction du français :’Mains sur les hanches’ ou ‘des mains sur des hanches’ ne se diraient pas …=> Je choisis ‘l’élégance par rapport à la langue d’arrivée’ (la deuxième règle de la traduction (version) …) mais je ne mets pas de possessif qui serait un anglicisme…
(8) Là, on devient technique … la paille de fer = très gros (grossier) pour frotter les parquets…(Je sais que Wordreference le donne…mais …) en français on a mieux… plus fin, plus délicat => laine d’acier (qui n’est pas inoxydable puisqu’elle est ‘rusted’. J’en ai un rouleau et il est vrai que c’est très fin et peut se mélanger facilement .Elle sert à la finition du traitement de meubles anciens ou cirés.

Faussement facile, cette traduction … de celles dont on ne se méfie pas … désolée ! La suivante est plus facile ... Merci encore à tous pour vos efforts et votre application sans failles!
(excuse any possible mistake or typo ... I'll read for the Nth time tomorrow!

Réponse : Exercise 44/Don't give up de here4u, postée le 18-06-2015 à 00:33:51 (S | E)
Hello all of you !!!
My mailbox was full of your kind and touching messages ... a lot for everything !

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux