Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Exercice 56/ Holding on

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Exercice 56/ Holding on
Message de here4u posté le 18-10-2015 à 14:49:18 (S | E | F)
Hello, all of you, friends, hardworkers, newcomers and future workers too!
Here is our 56... a as usual, requiring a lot of work for all of us... You seem to have appreciated the new style of 55: 56 is his twin-brother...
As some of you have skipped them, the revisions you have to do are the same ones... (EX 2-3-4-5)
The collective correction will be given on Saturday, October 31st . Once again, you will give me your best I'm sure, and I thank you for your work and enthusiasm, as ever...

1) Translate into English:
A. Arrête de te moquer de lui et de le ridiculiser devant tous ses amis ... Il va t'en vouloir, c'est évident ...

B. « Choisis celui que tu veux ... » « Comme tout a été trié sur le volet, je n'ai le choix qu'entre le bon et le meilleur, mais je vais arrêter de tergiverser et me décider pour le grand bleu ! A mon avis, c'est le mieux !»

C. Non ! Je ne l'ai pas pris en grippe, mais franchement il a mis le doigt sur une de mes bêtes noires ...

D. Comme il est responsable du groupe et très autoritaire, il vous fera respecter les règles, par la contrainte s'il le faut ...

E. Tout ceci était malavisé de ta part ... Tu t'es conduite comme une gamine effrontée et prétentieuse...

F. Une augmentation de 15% des prix d'achat a entraîné un excédent de ce produit sur le marché et une diminution drastique de sa demande.

II) Translate into French:
“ Men like to work. It's a funny thing, but they do. They may moan about it every Monday morning, they may agitate for shorter hours and longer holidays, but they need to work for their self-respect."
"That's just conditioning. People could get used to life without work."
"Could you? I thought you enjoyed your work."
"That's different."
"Why?"
"Well, it's nice work. It's meaningful. It's rewarding. I don't mean in money terms. It would be worth doing even if one wasn't paid anything at all. "

David Lodge, Nice Work.

III) Bonus!
1) Moins souvent ils se verront, plus ils seront impatients de passer leurs vacances ensemble.
2) Pourquoi n'avoir rien fait ? Je regrette vraiment qu’il n’ait pas protesté et ait choisi de se taire …
3) Je regrette de ne pas avoir visité tout de suite ce monument sur place et d’avoir attendu de regarder la vidéo auparavant.

I'm sure THE FORCE will be with you!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 18-10-2015 17:45

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de maya92, postée le 18-10-2015 à 17:30:11 (S | E)
Hello here4u,

Translate into English
A - Stop making fun of him in front of his friends.. It’s obvious that he will be angry with you
B - “Pick the one you like”. “Everything having been hand-picked I can only choose between the good and the best but I won’t beat the bush anymore and I decide on the big blue one ! It seems to be the best”
C - No ! I don’t dislike him but frankly he put his finger on one of my pet hate
D - Since he is responsible for the group and very bullying he will require you to respect the rules under duress if necessary
E - All that was unwise from you, You behaved like a cheeky conceited girl !
F - A 15% rise in the purchase prices has lead to a surplus in those goods on the market and to a drastic fall-off in their demand

Translate into French
Les hommes aiment travailler. C’est drôle mais c’est comme ça. Ils ont beau râler tous les lundis matin, militer pour des heures de travail plus courtes et des vacances plus longues, ils ont besoin de travailler pour se respecter eux-mêmes
Ca, c’est de l’intox. Les gens s’habitueraient très bien à vivre sans travailler
C’est différent
Pourquoi ?
Eh bien, c’est bien de travailler. C’est important. C’est enrichissant. Je ne veux pas dire en terme d’argent, ça vaut la peine… même pour rien.

Bonus
1 - The less they’ll see each other the more impatient they will be to spend their holidays together
2 - Why haven’t you done anything ? I wish he had protested and not chosen to remain silent
3 - I wish I had visited that monument on the spot and not waited to watch the video previously

Here we are, just a little work before leaving for holidays with the kids (again...) Thank you again

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de maxwell, postée le 18-10-2015 à 18:31:26 (S | E)
Hello Here4U,
I think you've forgotten "for" in the sentence : they may agitate for shorter hours
It helps the understanding
I'll soon post my try.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de here4u, postée le 18-10-2015 à 19:31:02 (S | E)
Hello you all !
Maxwell is right but I can't correct the 'slip of my fingers'... (some among you have been working on the exercise for long minutes and I have no possible access to the edition...) Just now, I'm still quite busy with individual corrections (N°55!)... Be patient ... the transfers are very long...

PLEASE, DO READ : "agitate for shorter hours". Working on a tablet (as I did - tried to do - for a few days) is no easy task! Sorry!

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 18-10-2015 21:31
You corrected it at last

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de maxwell, postée le 18-10-2015 à 20:45:03 (S | E)
FINISHED
Thanks a lot for posting it today, in spite of all your work Here's my try. Have a wonderful week
1)
A.Stop laughing at him and ridiculing him in front of all his friends... He'll be crossed with you, it's obvious...
B. "Choose whichever you want" "As everything has been hand-picked, I've only been given choice between the good and the best, but I won't go on shilly-shallying any longer and I'll make up my mind about the big blue one ! In my opinion, it's the best choice.
C. No ! I did not take a dislike to him, but frankly, he's pointed out one of my pet hates...
D. Since he is group leader and very authoritarian, he will make you comply with the rules under duress if necessary...
E. All this was ill-advised of you... You behaved like a cheeky pretentious girl
F. A fifteen percent increase in purchase prices has resulted in a surplus of this product in the market and a drastic fall of its demand.

II)
"Les hommes aiment travailler. C'est drôle, mais c'est vrai. Ils ont beau se plaindre tous les lundis matin et militer pour des horaires allégés et des vacances plus longues, ils ont quand même besoin de travailler pour leur dignité."
"C'est juste du conditionnement. Les gens pourraient s'habituer à vivre sans travail"
"Tu le pourrais, toi ? Je croyais que tu appréciais ton travail."
"C'est différent."
"Pourquoi ?"
"Eh bien, c'est un travail agréable. C'est épanouissant. C'est enrichissant. Je veux dire, pas en termes pécuniaires. Cela vaudrait la peine de le faire même sans être payé."

III)
1) The less often they'll see each other, the more eager to spend their holidays together they'll be.
2) Why hasn't anything been done ? I really wish he had protested and he had not chosen to stay quiet...
3) I wish I had visited this monument on site and I hadn't waited to watch the video beforehand

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de brution, postée le 18-10-2015 à 21:24:54 (S | E)
Bonjour à tous,

Translate into English
Arrête de te moquer de lui et de le ridiculiser devant tous ses amis ... Il va t'en vouloir, c'est évident ...
Stop laughing at him and ridiculing him in front of all his friends. It's clear that he will be angry at you.

« Choisis celui que tu veux ... » « Comme tout a été trié sur le volet, je n'ai le choix qu'entre le bon et le meilleur, mais je vais arrêter de tergiverser et me décider pour le grand bleu ! A mon avis, c'est le mieux !»
Select the one you want. Because all pieces have been carefully sorted out , I just have the choice between the good and the best one's , but I will now stop dithering around and go for the big blue one. To me it's the best one.

Non ! Je ne l'ai pas pris en grippe, mais franchement il a mis le doigt sur une de mes bêtes noires ...
No! I haven't developed any aversion to him, but frankly he put his finger on one of my pet peeves.

Comme il est responsable du groupe et très autoritaire, il vous obligera à respecter les règles, par la contrainte s'il le faut ...
Because he is responsible for the group and very bossy , he will force you to respect the rules, using coercion if necessary.

Tout ceci était malavisé de ta part ... Tu t'es conduite comme une gamine effrontée et prétentieuse...
All of this was unwised of you.... You behaved like an insolent and pretentious little girl.

Une augmentation de 15% des prix d'achat a entraîné un excédent de ce produit sur le marché et une diminution drastique de sa deman
A 15 % increase in purchasing prices led to this product market surplus and to a drastic demand decrease.

“ Men like to work. It's a funny thing, but they do.
Les hommes aiment à travailler. C'est curieux, mais ils aiment vraiment ça ça.
They may moan about it every Monday morning, they may agitate the shorter hours and longer holidays, but they need to work for their self- respect."
Ils ont beau s'en plaindre tous les lundi matin , réclamer des heures de travail en moins et des vacances en plus, il reste que par fierté , ils éprouvent cette nécessité de travailler.
Ce n'est que conditionnement. On pourrait s'habituer à une vie où l'on ne travaille pas.
Vous, vous pourriez? Je pensais que vous preniez plaisir à votre travail.
" That's different." C'est différent.
"Why?" Pourquoi ?
"Well, it's nice work. It's meaningful. It's rewarding. I don't mean in money terms. It would be worth doing even if one wasn't paid anything at all. "
Et bien , c'est un travail plutôt agréable. Il a un sens. Il est gratifiant. Ce n'est pas en terme d'argent que je le pense. Même sans aucune rémunération il vaudrait la peine d'être fait.

1) Moins souvent ils se verront, plus ils seront impatients de passer leurs vacances ensemble.
The less they will see eachother , the more they will look forward to spending the holidays together.
2) Pourquoi n'avoir rien fait ? Je regrette vraiment qu’il n’ait pas protesté et ait choisi de se taire …
Why did he nothing ? I really wish he had tried to protest and had not choosed to keep silent.
3) Je regrette de ne pas avoir visité ce monument sur place et d’avoir attendu de regarder la vidéo auparavant.
I wish I had visited this monument on site and hadn't waited to have a look at the video prior to this. Merci pour ces exercices et bonne soirée.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de kazan, postée le 19-10-2015 à 11:37:20 (S | E)
Hi Here4U,
Here is my try. These exercises were very interesting.

A. Arrête de te moquer de lui et de le ridiculiser devant tous ses amis ... Il va t'en vouloir, c'est évident …
-> Stop making fun of him and ridicule him in front of all of his friends… He is going to get angry at you, it is obvious...

B. « Choisis celui que tu veux ... » « Comme tout a été trié sur le volet, je n'ai le choix qu'entre le bon et le meilleur, mais je vais arrêter de tergiverser et me décider pour le grand bleu ! A mon avis, c'est le mieux !»
->"Pick the one you want…" "As everything has been hand-picked, I only have to choose between the good ones and the very best, but I'll stop dithering and I'll go for "the big blue"! To me, it is the best one. "

C. Non ! Je ne l'ai pas pris en grippe, mais franchement il a mis le doigt sur une de mes bêtes noires ...
-> No, I have nothing against him, but, honestly, he pinpointed a pet peeve of mine.

D. Comme il est responsable du groupe et très autoritaire, il vous fera respecter les règles, par la contrainte s'il le faut …
-> Since he is the supervisor of the group and he is very authoritarian, he will have you go by the rules, and use pressure if need be…

E. Tout ceci était malavisé de ta part ... Tu t'es conduite comme une gamine effrontée et prétentieuse…
->It would be ill-advised of you… You behaved like a brazen and pretentious kid.

F. Une augmentation de 15% des prix d'achat a entraîné un excédent de ce produit sur le marché et une diminution drastique de sa demande.
-> A rise by 15% of the purchase price led to an excess of this product on the market and a drastic drop of its demand.

“ Men like to work. It's a funny thing, but they do. They may moan about it every Monday morning, they may agitate for shorter hours and longer holidays, but they need to work for their self-respect."
"That's different."
"Why?"
David Lodge, Nice Work.

"L'homme aime travailler. C'est bizarre, mais c'est le cas. Ils peuvent grogner à propos du travail chaque lundi matin, Ils peuvent gesticuler pour des journées moins longues et des vacances plus longues, mais ils besoin de travailler pour le respect de soi.
-C'est juste du conditionnement. on pourrait s'habituer à la vie sans travail.
-Tu pourrais toi? Je pensais que t'aimais ton travail.
-C'est différent.
-Pourquoi?
- Ma foi, c'est bien de travailler. Ca a du sens. Ca récompense. Pas financièrement, je veux dire. Ce serait la peine de travailler même si c'était pas payé du tout.

III) Bonus!
-> The less they will see each other, the more impatient they will be to spend their holidays together.

-> Why didn't you do anything? I really wish he had not protested and chose to remain quiet...

3) Je regrette de ne pas avoir visité tout de suite ce monument sur place et d’avoir attendu de regarder la vidéo auparavant.
-> I wish I visited this monument on-site on the spot and had not waited to see the recording beforehand.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de taiji43, postée le 19-10-2015 à 20:51:35 (S | E)
Hello Dear Here4u,
Back from Namibia since a few days.
From H.......I have free time. .. .
Therefore, I am sending these five sentences. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING
You can correct these sentences.I will try to translate your text into French

A. Stop making fun of him and making fool of him in front of all his friends, he will have a grudge against you, That is obvious.

B. May choose whichever you prefer as everything has been hand-picked, I have only been given the choice between the good one and the best one. However I will stop dithering about any further and I will make up my mind about the big blue one. In my opinion it is the best idea.

C. Certainly not, I didn't take a strong dislike to him, but frankly, he has put his figer on one of my pet - worry.

D. Since he is in charge of the groop and is a very autoritarian person, he will force you to comply with the rules under duress of neocessary.

E. All was misguided of you. You behaved like à cheeky and pretentious kid.

F. A 15 percent raising in purchace prices has trigged à surplus of this product in the market and a drastic decrease of its demande.

THE BONUS
1. The less ofen they will see each other the more eager to spend their holliday they will be.
2. Why hasn't anything been done. Y wish he had protested and hadn't chosen to remain silent.
3. Y wish,I had immediatly visited this monument on the authentic site and hadn't been waited to watch the video previously .

Je viens avec bien du retard corriger Obviousy par obvious/ whichever en un seul mot et /misguided of au lieu de from ...C'est peut être trop tard... Merci

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de here4u, postée le 19-10-2015 à 21:00:17 (S | E)
hello courageuse Taiji ... Je ne pourrais pas travailler sur téléphone ! De grosses pensées !
Prends ton temps.
et bravo.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de taiji43, postée le 20-10-2015 à 10:49:07 (S | E)
Dear Here
here is my translation into French.You can correct it.I can have a good rest now.
Thank you so much...My other sentences are above and are ready to be corrected.

Les hommes aiment travailler, c'est une drôle de constatation mais c'est une évidence. Ils ont beau râler à ce sujet tous les lundis matin, faire campagne en faveur de la réduction des heures de travail et l'allongement des vacances, ils ont quand même besoin de travailler pour, garder leur estime de soi.
"C'est juste du conditionnement.
Les gens pourraient s'habituer à vivre sans avoir un travail.
Le pourrais - tu toi ?
Je pensais que tu prenais du plaisir dans ton travail !
"C'est différent"
Pour quelle raison ?
Et bien, c'est un travail agréable , intéressant, significatif , utile et gratifiant.Je ne dis pas cela sur un plan pécuniaire. En fin de compte cela vaudrait de le faire même si on n'était pas payé du tout.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de jo06, postée le 20-10-2015 à 20:27:05 (S | E)
Hello Here4u,
Thank you very much for this little tricky exercise.
We enjoy it(I hope they all agree)....(and I am sure they do!)
It's OK for me

1)Translate into English:
A. Arrête de te moquer de lui et de le ridiculiser devant tous ses amis ... Il va t'en vouloir, c'est évident ...
Stop making fun of him and ridiculing him in front of all his friends…He will blame you, it’s obvious…

‘Choose which one you want…’ ‘As every thing has been hand-picked, I have only the choice between the good and the best, I am going to stop shilly-shallying and settled for the big blue one! In my opinion, it’s the best choice!’

No ! I didn’t take a dislike to him, but really he has pointed out one of my pet peeves…

D. Comme il est responsable du groupe et très autoritaire, il vous fera respecter les règles, par la contrainte s'il le faut ...

As he is responsible for the group and very authoritarian, he will make you enforce the rules, by force if necessary…

E. Tout ceci était malavisé de ta part ... Tu t'es conduite comme une gamine effrontée et prétentieuse...

All this was unwise of you…You behaved like a shameless and pretentious child…

A 15 % increase of purchase prices has brought a surplus of this product on the market and a drastic fall-off of its request.

“Les hommes aiment travailler. C’est surprenant, mais c’est ainsi. Ils peuvent s’en plaindre chaque Lundi matin, ils peuvent mener une campagne pour des heures plus courtes et des vacances plus longues, mais ils ont besoin de travailler pour leur propre respect. ‘’
« C’est juste du conditionnement. Les gens pourraient prendre l’habitude de vivre sans travail. »
« Le pourriez-vous ? Je pensais que vous appréciez votre travail. »
« C’est différent ».
« Pourquoi ? »
“He bien, c’est un bon travail. Il est constructif. Il est utile. Je ne parle pas en termes d’argent. Il vaut la peine d’être fait même si on n’était pas du tout payé.”
David Lodge, Nice Work.

III) Bonus!
The less often they will see each other, the more impatient to spend their holidays together they will be.

Why to have done nothing ? I wish really he has protested and not chosen to remain silent.

I wish to have visited this monument on the spot at once and to not have waited to watch the video previously.

Have a nice week.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de mamou3, postée le 22-10-2015 à 07:15:19 (S | E)
Hello Here4u, Hello everybody !

Thank you for this new exercise !

1. Into English
A. Stop laughing at him and ridiculing him in front of all of his friends. He will be angry with you obviously.
B. "Choose the one you want " as everything was hand picked I only have the choice between the good and the best, I'm going to stop dithering and go for the big blue. In my opinion it's the best.
C. No, I have not taken a dislike to him but truly he put his finger on my pet peeves.
D. As he is responsible for the group and very bossy he will make you respect the rules by pressure if it's necessary.
E. All this was unwise of you...You behaved like a cheeky and pretentious kid.
F. An 15% increase of the purchase prices entailed a excess of that product on the market and a drastic decrease of its demand.

2. En Français
Les hommes aiment travailler. C'est une chose comique mais vraie. Ils peuvent gémir à ce propos tous les lundis matin, ils peuvent militer pour raccourcir les heures de travail et allonger les vacances mais ils ont besoin de travailler pour leur propre estime.
C'est juste un conditionnement, les hommes pourraient s'habituer à vivre sans travail.
- Tu crois ? Je pensais que tu aimais ton travail.
- C'est différent.
- Pourquoi ?
- Et bien c'est un travail agréable. C'est intéressant. C'est valorisant. Je ne veux pas dire au point de vue argent. Il vaudrait la peine même si on n'était pas du tout payé.
David Lodge. Travail agréable.

3. Bonus
1. The less often they will see each other, the more impatient to spend holiday together they will be.
2. Why not have done anything ? I really wish he had protested and had not chosen to keep silent.
3. I wish I had immediately visited the monument and had not waited to watch the video previously.

Thank you again ! It's when you want for the correction

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de alpiem, postée le 22-10-2015 à 15:10:39 (S | E)
Hello,Here4u, and welcome to my "Holding on":

I)Translate into English:
A) Stop mocking him and making a fool of him in front of all his friends.......He is going to bear a grudge
against you, that's clear........
B) Pick out which one you want....... Since everything has been hand-picked, I only have the choice between
the good one and the best one, but I'll stop beating about the bush and I'll make up my mind for the big blue
one! In my view tha's the best .
C) No! I do not resent him, but frankly,he has pinpointed a pet peeve of mine.....
D) Since he is in charge of the group and very bossy he is going to compel you into abiding by the rules even so
under duress if needs be!
E) All This was unwise of you.... You have behaved like a shameless and conceited kid.....
F) A 15% rise in the purchase prices has ignited a surplus in this item on the market places and a dire
decrease in it's demand.

III) Bonus;
1) The less often they will meet, the more eager they will be to spend their holidays together.
2) Why didn't you do something? I honestly wish he had protested and not chosen to keep quiet.
3) I wish I had visited this monument right away on the spot and hadn't been waiting until I saw the vidéo beforehand.
It's OK for me here4u...

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de bibi62, postée le 22-10-2015 à 19:33:32 (S | E)
Hello Here4you,here is my try for the exercise 56.
It's ready to be corrected.
Thanks a lot.

A.Stop laughing at him and ridiculing him in front of all his friends...He'll be annoyed with you,it's obvious...
B."Choose the one you want..."As everything has been hand-picked,I only have the choice between the good and the best,but I'll stop tergiversating and I'm opting for the big blue.To my mind,it's the best choice!"
C.No!I haven't taken a dislike to him,but frankly he put his finger on one of my pet hates...
D.As he is in charge of the group and really authoritarian,he will impose you the rules,with pressure if it's necessary...
E.You were ill-advised about all of that...You behaved like a cheeky,pretentious girl...
F.A fifteen percent rise of the purchase prices has involved a surplus of this product on the market and a drastic decrease of its demand.

"Les hommes aiment travailler.C'est bizarre,mais c'est ainsi.Ils ont beau se plaindre chaque lundi matin ,protester pour travailler moins d'heures et obtenir de plus longues vacances,ils ont besoin de travailler pour leur propre estime."
"C'est une question de conditionnement.On pourrait s'habituer à vivre sans travailler."
"Tu pourrais le faire?Je pensais que tu appréciais ton travail."
"C'est différent."
"Pourquoi?"
"Eh bien,c'est chouette de travailler.C'est important.C'est gratifiant.Et je ne veux pas dire ça du point de vue financier.Cela vaudrait la peine de travailler sans même être payé."

Bonus.
1.The less often they will see each other,the more raring to spend their holidays together they will be.
2.Why not have done anything?I really wish he had protested and not choose to keep quiet.
3.I wish I had immediately visited this monument and hadn't waited to watch the video first.

Have a nice weekend
Bibi62

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de icare29, postée le 24-10-2015 à 20:58:31 (S | E)
Hello Here4u , and all hardworkers ,here is my work

A) Stop making fun of him and embarrassing him in front of all his friends ......He is coming after you, it's obvious.....
B) " Choose whichever one you want" . As everything was hand- picked ,I have only the choice between the good and the best,but I am going to stop to dithere and decide for the big blue. In my opinion ,it is the best"
c) No ! I haven't taken a dislike to him , but franckly he put the finger on one of my pet peeves
D) As he is responsible for the group and very authoritarian he will make you respect the rules ,under duress if necessary.
E) All this was unjudicious from you.....you behaved like a shameless and conceited child
F) A 15% rise of purchase prices has led a surplus of this product on the market and a drastic fall-off of the demand

Les hommes aiment le travail. Cela paraît étrange, mais c'est ainsi .Ils peuvent rouspéter, grogner , tempêter en prenant le chemin du travail chaque lundi matin .Ils peuvent aussi faire campagne pour raccourcir les horaires de travail ou pour obtenir de plus longues vacances , mais ce besoin de travailler est vital pour leur estime de soi .
" Cela est juste du conditionnement .Les gens pourraient s'habituer à vivre sans travailler "
"Le pourriez-vous ? Je pensais que vous appréciez votre travail.
" C'est très différent "
" Pourquoi ?"
"Eh bien! , c'est un travail agréable , sérieux , gratifiant. Ce n'est évidemment pas une question d'argent car, même sans aucune rémunération, ce travail vaudrait la peine d'être fait.
David Lodge, Nice Work.

III) Bonus!
1) The less often they will see each other , the more impatient to spend their holidays together they will be
2) Why hasn't he done anything ? I really wish he had protested and chosen to be silent
3) I wish I had at once visited this monument on the spot and hadn't waited to watch the video previously

for this new good exercise
As usual you made us work very hard , but with you working is always a pleasure (As David Lodge said :" Men like to work!" )

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de here4u, postée le 26-10-2015 à 11:15:33 (S | E)
Hello!
... And women too, of course.
Thanks for your work... I'm keeping up with the corrections and expecting the slow ones, the shy ones and newcomers ....
Go for it !

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de ronald1955, postée le 26-10-2015 à 15:19:57 (S | E)
Hello Here4u, Here is my work, I have just finished it and you can correct it whenever you like...

A) Arrête de te moquer de lui et de le ridiculiser devant tous ses amis ... Il va t'en vouloir, c'est évident...
-Stop laughing at/making fun of him and ridiculing him in front of all his friends... It's obvious, he will bear you a grudge/hold a grudge against you.
-Stop making fun of and fool of him in front of all his friends... He will bear/hold a grudge against you, it is obvious... (pour la concision de phrase : j'essaie make fun of and fool of ... mais malheureusement, j'ai un doute! )

B) « Choisis celui que tu veux ... » « Comme tout a été trié sur le volet, je n'ai le choix qu'entre le bon et le meilleur, mais je vais arrêter de tergiverser et me décider pour le grand bleu ! A mon avis, c'est le mieux !»
-''Choose whichever/which one you like/want...'' ''As everything has already been hand-picked, I only have the choice between the good one and the best one. Yet, I will stop proscratinating/shilly-shallying and I will make up my mind about the big blue one ! In my opinion,/To me,/As far as I'm concerned,/I think it's the best one!''

C) Non ! Je ne l'ai pas pris en grippe, mais franchement il a mis le doigt sur une de mes bêtes noires ...
-No! I haven't taken a dislike to him, but honestly/frankly, he has pinpointed a pet peeve of mine ...

D) Comme il est responsable du groupe et très autoritaire, il vous fera respecter les règles, par la contrainte s'il le faut …
-As he is in charge of the group and also very authoritarian, you will be made to comply with the rules (by him), under duress, if necessary...

E) Tout ceci était malavisé de ta part ... Tu t'es conduite comme une gamine effrontée et prétentieuse…
-All this was unwise/ill-advised of you ... You behaved like a cheeky/shameless and conceited/pretentious kid...

F) Une augmentation de 15% des prix d'achat a entraîné un excédent de ce produit sur le marché et une diminution drastique de sa demande.
-A fifteen percent increase/rise of the purchase prices has involved a surplus of this product on the market and a drastic decrease/fall-off of its demand.

"That's different."
"Why?"
David Lodge, Nice Work.

''Les hommes aiment leur travail. C'est bizarre, mais c'est ainsi/mais c'est comme ça. Il est possible qu'ils s'en plaignent tous les lundis matin, ils peuvent même faire/mener campagne pour obtenir une réduction de leur temps de travail et un allongement de la durée de leurs vacances, mais en fin de compte, ils ont besoin de travailler pour leur propre dignité.''
-''C'est juste de l'intox/du conditionnement. Les gens pourraient très bien s'habituer à vivre sans travail/sans devoir travailler''
-''Tu le pourrais toi? Moi qui pensais que tu appréciais ton travail/que tu y prenais plaisir/que tu t'en donnais à coeur joie.''
-''C'est différent.''
-''Pourquoi?''
-''Ma foi/Eh bien, c'est un travail plaisant. Il est épanouissant et valorisant/enrichissant, mais j'avoue/je dois dire que pécuniairement parlant, il ne l'est pas, et pourtant, cela vaudrait la peine de le faire, même si on n'était pas du tout rémunéré pour ça.''

David Lodge, Nice Work.

III) Bonus!
-The less often they will see each other, the more impatient they will be to spend their holidays together.
-Why nothing has been done ? I really wish he had protested and chosen to be/keep quiet...about it...
-I wish I had visited this monument on the spot at once and hadn't waited to watch the video previously.

Thanks a lot Here4u for this new and very,very tricky exercise !

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de tereda, postée le 26-10-2015 à 18:34:04 (S | E)
ThanK you HERE4U to have given a text of David Lodge,
I like this writer a lot and had much pleasure to read A small world or Therapy.

this is my try you can correct when you want,
A. Stop laughing and making fun of him in front of his friends, he will hold it against you, that's evident !

B. Choose the one you want.... As everything has been hand-picked, I have only the choice between the good and the better, but I have decided to stop shilly-shalling.... And I've chosen the large blue one ! in my opinion, it's the best...!

C. No, I didn't take a sudden dislike to him.....but frankly , he has touched a raw nerve , (or he has touched on a sensitive point
D. As he is in charge of the group, and very overbearing, he'll make you respect the rules, even by force, if necessary.

E. You have been unwise in this situation , you have behaved as a cheeky (insolent) and pretentious (naughty) child !

F. A rise of 15% in the purchase price has brought about a Surplus of this product on the market, and consequently a drastic decrease in demand.

Les hommes aiment travailler ; ça parait drôle, mais c'est la vérité, ils adorent. Ils se plaignent bien sûr, tous les lundis matin, ils peuvent même mener campagne pour moins d'heures au travail, et de plus longues vacances, mais ils ont besoin de travailler pour leur propre considération.
- c'est juste une forme de conditionnement, les gens pourraient très bien vivre sans travailler.
- Pourriez-vous ? Je pensais que vous aimiez votre travail.
- Ah mais moi, c'est différent.
- Pourquoi ?
- hé bien, j'ai un super travail, enrichissant, gratifiant, et je ne dis pas ça en terme de finances; Il serait intéressant même si on n'était pas payé du tout.

III) Bonus!
The less often they'll see each other, the more impatient they'll be to go on holidays together.
Why not having done nothing ? I really regret he had not protested and had chosen to say nothing.
I wish I had visited this monument in place, and having waited to watch the video before.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de palindrome23, postée le 27-10-2015 à 09:51:28 (S | E)
Hello everybody, I'm a tad late but here is my try.

Stop laughing at and ridiculing him in front of all his friends. He'll hold it against you, that's for sure.

''Pick up the one you like.'' ''Given they have all been handpicked, I only have to choose between the good and the best but I'll stop sitting on the fence and go for the big blue one! To me, that's the better!"

No! I haven't taken a dislike to him but, honestly, he's put his finger on my pet peeve.

As he's responsible for the group and very domineering, he'll make you abide by the rules, by coercion if necessary.

All that was ill-advised from you. You behaved like a cheeky and conceited kid.

A 15% rise in purchase prices led to a surplus of this product on the market and to a drastic fall in its demand.

- Les hommes tiennent à leur travail. C'est un drôle de truc mais c'est comme ça. Ils ont beau s'en plaindre tous les lundis matins, plaider pour travailler moins et avoir plus de vacances mais ils ont besoin de travailler pour arriver à se respecter.
- C'est juste du conditionnement. Les gens pourraient se faire à une vie sans travail.
- Tu pourrais, toi ? Je croyais que tu aimais ton travail ?
- C'est pas la même chose.
- Pourquoi ça ?
- Eh bien, c'est un travail agréable. Ca a du sens. C'est gratifiant. Je ne me situe pas en terme d'argent. Il vaudrait le coup même sans le moindre salaire.

III) Bonus!
The less they'll see each other, the more they'll be looking forward to spending their holidays together.

Why didn't he step in? I really wish he had made his voice heard and not decided to keep his mouth shut.

I wish I had visited the monument on site right away and not waited to watch the video beforehand.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de joe39, postée le 27-10-2015 à 13:21:50 (S | E)
Bonjour dear here4u,
Here is my 56th try.

A. Arrête de te moquer de lui et de le ridiculiser devant tous ses amis ... Il va t'en vouloir, c'est évident ..
Stop making fun of and ridicule him before of all his friends...Obviously, you are going to be harshly rebuked by him/Obviously, that will lead him to harshly reproach you..
"Choose the one you like..." As everything has been accurately handpicked I have now the option to choose between the good and the best. Anyhow I'm going to stop hum and haw and decide to pick the big blue!
In my opinion, it's the best one!
No! I didn't take him in dislike, but, frankly said, he stirred up a pet peeve of mine.
D. Comme il est responsible du groupe et très autoritaire, il vous fera respecter les règles, par la contrainte s'il le faut ...
As a team's responsabile and a very authoritarian person,
he will be going to make you respect the rules, even under compulsion if it were/it would be necessary.
All this was thoughtless of you...You had behaved like a cheeky and arrogant child.
A 15% increase of purchase price has implied a surplus of this product on the market and a drastic decrease of its demand.
A surplus of this product on the market and a drastic decrease of its demand have been caused by a 15% of purchase price.
«Les hommes/les gens aiment travailler. Il est une drôle de chose, mais ils le font. Ils peuvent se plaindre à ce sujet tous les lundis matin, ils peuvent s'agiter pendant des heures courtes et plus longues vacances, mais ils ont besoin de travailler pour respect de leur-même "
« Ceci est seulement un conditionnement. Les gens pourraient s’habituer à vivre sans travailler. »
« C’est différent.”
“Pourriez-vous? Je pensais que vous ayez apprécié votre travail”.
« Pourquoi ? »
« Eh bien, travailler est agréable. Il est signifiant/Il est gratifiant. Je ne veux pas dire en termes d’argent. Il vaudrait bien la peine de le faire/de travailler, même sans être payé rien du tout.
David Lodge, Nice Work.

III) Bonus!
Less often they will meet, more impatient to spend their holiday together they will be
Why hadn't it been done anything? I'm really sorry he hadn't protested and chose to remain silent instead.
attendu de 3) Je regrette de ne pas avoir visité tout de suite ce monument sur place et d’avoir regardé la vidéo auparavant.
Alltogether, I regret not having examined this monument straightaway on the spot, instead of watching its video beforehand.

Hoping the force has been with me, I thank you very much for your exercise.
Have a great week, dear friend.
Yours friendly
Joe39

-------------------
Modifié par joe39 le 27-10-2015 19:09

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de popmart101, postée le 27-10-2015 à 17:05:34 (S | E)
Hello here4U
This is my answer for exercise 56. I have try not to translate word by word. I don't think I've too much change the meaning of the text. If I did, don't hesitate to inform me.
Thanks again for your time.

1)Translate into English:
You should stop teasing and humiliate him before all his friends. It’s obvious he will be bitter against you.
“Choose anyone you like”. “Given everything has been carefully selected, having to choose between good and best, I will no longer hesitate and choose the tall blue one! It’s the best, I’m quite sure!”
No! I haven’t taken a strong dislike toward him but, frankly he pointed out on one of my bugbear.
Considering he’s the group leader and he is very strict, rules will be obeyed, by force if necessary...
A 15% increase of the retail price create an overabundance of this product in the market and a radical drop of the demand.

Les hommes aiment travailler. C’est bizarre, mais c’est ainsi. Ils peuvent bien rouspéter les lundi matin, quémander des journées plus courtes et de plus nombreux congés mais le travail leur apporte l’estime de soi.

"That's different."
"Why?"
David Lodge, Nice Work.

« C’est juste quelque chose d’acquis. Les gens pourraient s’habituer à une vie sans travail. »
« Pourrais-tu ? Je croyais que tu aimais ton travail. »
« C’est différent »
« Comment? »
« Bien, c’est un bon travail. Il est significatif. Il est gratifiant. Je ne parle pas en termes de rémunération. Il vaudrait la peine de le faire même s’il n’y avait aucun salaire. »

III) Bonus!
The less they are going to see each other, the more they will anticipate their next holidays together.
Why having done nothing? I really wish he would protest and didn’t choose to shut up...
I wish I would have visited this monument right away on the spot rather to watch it on video first.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de afarodj, postée le 27-10-2015 à 19:42:48 (S | E)
Bonjour.

1) - Translate into English :
A. Stop mocking and ridiculing him in front of his friends... He will bear grudge against you ...It's obvious.
B. -- Pick wichever one you want...-- -- As all was cherry picked, I haven't any choice save between the good and the best, I'll however, stop procrastinating and make a decision about Le grand bleu ! In my opinion, it's the better! >>
C. No! I'm not taking a set against him, but frankly he pinpointed a thorn of mine.
D. As he is responsible of the group and authoritarian, he will make you respect the rules under duress if necessary.
E. All of this was misguided on your part..You behaved like a cheeky and pretentious sub.l
F. A 15% increase has led to a surplus of the product on the market and a drastic decrease in demand.

2) - Translate into French :
a) - Les hommes aiment travailler. C'est une drôle d'idée, mais c'est comme ça. Ils peuvent se plaindre le Lundi matin, manifester pour moins d'heures, pour plus de vacances, mais ils ont besoin de travailler pour leur indépendance.
C'est juste circonstanciel, les gens pourraient s'habituer à une vie sans travail.
Pourriez-vous, vous ? Je pensais que vous appréciiez le vôtre.
C'est différent.
Pourquoi ?
Eh bien, c'est un travail convenable et sérieux, qui est récompensé. Je ne veux pas dire en termes lucratifs. Il meriterait d'être fait même si on n'était pas rémunéré.''
David Lodge, Bon travail.

3) - Bonus :
1) - The less often they see each other, the more they look forward to spend together their holidays
2) - Why were nothing done ? I really deplore he didn't protest and chose to be silent.
3) - I regret not to have right away visited that monument on the spot, and have expected to previously watch the video.

-------------------
Modifié par webmaster le 27-10-2015 20:13

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de lakata, postée le 28-10-2015 à 17:24:04 (S | E)
Hello dear Here4u
Thank you for this new exercise and for giving us a little more time as well!
Ready for correction.

A- Arrête de te moquer de lui et de le ridiculiser devant tous ses amis...Il va t'en vouloir, c'est évident.
Stop laughing at him and ridicule him in front of all his friends...He's obviously going to get angry at you

B- "Choisis celui que tu veux..." - "Comme tout a été trié sur le volet, je n'ai le choix qu'entre le bon et le meilleur, mais je vais arrêter de tergiverser et me décider pour le grand bleu. À mon avis, c'est le mieux !"
" Take the one you like best." - "As everything has been cherry-picked, my only choice is between the good and the best, but I'll stop shilly-shaying and decide on the big blue one. In my opinion, it's the best one!".

C- Non ! Je ne l'ai pas pris en grippe, mais franchement il a mis le doigt sur une de mes bêtes noires.
No, I haven't taken a dislike to him, but he put his finger on a pet peeve of mine, honestly!

D- Comme il est responsable du groupe et très autoritaire, il vous fera respecter les règles, par la contrainte s'il le faut.
As he's in charge of the group and very bossy, he'll make you respect the rules and by force if need it.

E) Tout ceci était malavisé de ta part. Tu t'es conduite comme une gamine effrontée et prétentieuse.
In all that thing, you did behave ill-advisedly, like a cheeky pretentious little girl.

F- Une augmentation de 15% des prix d'achat a entraîné un excédent de ce produit sur le marché et une diminution drastique de sa demande.
An increase of 15% in purchase prices led to a surplus of this product on the market and a drastic drop in demand.

III) Bonus :
1) Moins ils se verront, plus ils seront impatients de passer leurs vacances ensemble.
The less they'll meet, the more eager they'll be to spend their holidays all together.

2) Pourquoi n'avoir rien fait ? Je regrette vraiment qu'il n'ait pas protesté et choisi de se taire.
Why did he do nothing? I really wish he'd protested and chosen to speak.

3) Je regrette de ne pas avoir visité ce monument sur place et d'avoir attendu de regarder la vidéo auparavant. (pas sûre de bien piger)
I wish I had visited the monument at first and hadn't waited to watch the video beforehand.

Have an as pleasant as possible week! ( this sentence sounds a little bit weird. Not sure it's correct. Wait and see )

-------------------
The right sentence is " Have as pleasant a week as possible" (même construction que "too big a book", "so difficult an exercise"). MERCI here4u!

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de here4u, postée le 29-10-2015 à 18:12:31 (S | E)
Hello !
Yes, lakata... You're right... Your sentence is wrong! (the solution is coming fast...)
I'll start transfering the individual corrections as early as tonight...
Newcomers, shy-ones, if you want to have your tries, you may still post for two whole days... Go for it!

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de here4u, postée le 30-10-2015 à 22:56:37 (S | E)
Bon !Hello !

Les copains, je sature ... J'ai bien avancé mes transferts mais ai eu, bien sûr, des problèmes techniques ... (La sauvegarde efface mes coloriages si péniblement faits après transferts ... )
Les corrections sont terminées (celles que j'ai eues ... d'autres peuvent arriver! ) mais je n'ai pas, ce soir, la concentration 'technique' suffisante pour continuer les envois ... Je vais plutôt essayer de vous mettre en ligne le 57 qui est prêt et devrait être simple à 'poster'.
L'une d'entre vous aura deux fois la correction ... car je l'avais crue perdue ... et l'un d'entre vous a bien failli avoir celle d'un autre ... I'm hopeless, really... Sorry for that! It's easier and quicker on paper or on a computer when you must just copy, correct (store) and send!
So 57 asap, the 5 or 6 remaining transfers tomorrow - I hope;
Hopefully, if my family let me work tomorrow night, the collective correction will be on-line as planned. (or on Sunday if I cannot!)
Have a good weekend!

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de dinoza, postée le 31-10-2015 à 13:25:36 (S | E)
Bonjour tous,
j'ai failli manqué à l'appel, j'avais pourtant fait le travail mais je voulais le relire pour l'améliorer mais je n'ai pas eu le temps. Qui a du temps à vendre?
Voici ma proposition:

-> stop laughing at him and make a fool of him in front of all his friends. He'll be cross with you, that's obvious.

-> "Choose the one you want.." "since all have been selected, I only have the choice between the good and the best, but I will stop procrastinating and choose the big blue one! In my opinion, it's the best

-> I didn't take a dislike to him but he really put the fingr on one of my pet hates

-> Since he is responsible of the group and very authoritative, he'll make you follow the rules, under duress if need be

-> all of it was ill-advised... you behaved like an insolent pretentious kid

-> A 15% rise in the purchase cost lead to a surplus of this product on the market and a radical decrease in the demand.

"les hommes aiment travailler. c'est drôle mais c'est comme ça. ils peuvent s'en plaindre tous les lundis matins, ils peuvent se battre pour des horaires plus courts et des vacances plus longues mais ils ont besoin de travailler pour se respecter".
"C'est simplement du conditionnement. les gens pourraient s'habituer à une vie sans travail".
"Le pourrais-tu? Je croyais que tu aimais ton travail".
"Ce n'est pas pareil".
"Pourquoi?"
"En fait, c'est un travail sympa. Qui a du sens. Qui est valorisant. Je ne le considère pas en terme d'argent. il vaudrait la peine d'être fait même sans être payé du tout".

David Lodge, Nice Work.

III) Bonus!
1° the lesser they will see one another, the more impatient to spend the holiday together they will be.
2/ Why not do something ? I wish he had protested and not chosen to keep quiet
3/ I wish I had visited the site right away on the spot and not to have waited to watch the video beforehand.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de here4u, postée le 31-10-2015 à 21:33:54 (S | E)
Hello!

All the individual corrections are sent, now. If ever you haven't received yours, just protest! I'll wait a little longer to post the collective one. It's ready, but I want to give Ariane or any other latecomer the possibility to participate!

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de here4u, postée le 31-10-2015 à 23:06:15 (S | E)
Hello !
I'll start before the deadline, just in case... Here is Number 56 corrected!

Une remarque préalable : Toujours beaucoup d’efforts remarquables et remarqués ... du travail très sérieux, des recherches évidentes … BRAVO !
Il y a eu beaucoup d’excellentes productions … des « trouvailles » mais peut-être aussi pour la première fois, j’ai noté une tendance à « sous-traduire » dans les deux langues … Autrement dit, j’avais choisi, volontairement, des expressions très idiomatiques et il semble que certains n’ont pas osé, ou pu, me suivre. Ils m’ont donné du « passe partout » ou presque, parfois de l’inexact, quand je demandais de « l’extra-ordinaire … » Ah la la … que je suis exigeante ! Pardonnez-moi … c’est le prix des progrès…

Alors, méfiez-vous parce que le 57 est du ‘même tonneau’ ! J’attends des expressions idiomatiques bien précises (mais il y en a beaucoup ! parmi lesquelles vous pouvez choisir !)

Encore BRAVO pour celui-ci et courage pour le prochain … YOU’RE GREAT!

1) Translate into English :

A. Arrête de te moquer de lui et de le ridiculiser devant tous ses copains ... Il va t'en vouloir, c'est évident...

Stop laughing at him and ridiculing him in front of all his pals…Obviously, he’ll resent you./your attitude.

- stop laughing at him/making fun of him.
- to ridicule someone= to mock someone (attention à ces constructions !)
- his pals = his friends= his buddies
- to bear a grudge against someone/to hold a grudge/ be resentful to /resent sby/hold it against sby
- to be mad at (US informal)/ to be annoyed at/to be angry with/ (faibles)/to be cross with you= plusieurs degree de colère,mais pas vraiment de rancune…

B. « Choisis celui que tu veux ... » « Comme tout a été trié sur le volet, je n'ai pas vraiment le choix entre le bon et le meilleur, mais je vais arrêter de tergiverser et me décider pour le grand bleu ! A mon avis, c'est le mieux ! »

Pick the one you want… As everything was cherry-picked, I only have the choice between what’s good and what’s better, but I’ll stop sitting on the fence and will decide on the big blue one, which, in my opinion, is the very best (choice).

- trier sur le volet = to hand-pick/ cherry-pick (assez répandu en UK surtout pour le sens figuré.)
- stop sitting on the fence/shilly-shallying/quibbling/= tergiverser; /procrastinate = remettre à demain …
- the good = grammaticalement ‘acceptable’ ... – mais je fais un gros effort- , si ‘one’/’ones’ = sous-entendu derrière ; cependant, je me souviens que nous travaillons aussi pour ceux d’entre vous qui préparent les concours de recrutement (on y attendrait ici, ‘the good ones’ ou ‘what’s good’ ! (aussi royaliste que la Reine ! )

C. Non ! Je ne l'ai pas pris en grippe, mais franchement tu as mis le doigt sur une de mes bêtes noires.

No ! I didn’t take a dislike to him, but to be frank, you’ve put your finger on one of my pet-hates…

- Prendre en grippe = to have it in / to have/take a sudden dislike to sby
- metre le doigt sur = put your finger on (ne pas oublier le possessif obligatoire devant les parties du corps!)/ hit the nail on/pinpointed on
- To touch on a raw nerve = appuyer là où ça fait mal ; toucher la corde sensible était PARFAIT mais faisait répétition dans la mesure où il ne fallait pas abandonner les ‘pet-hates’.(‘he’s touched a raw nerve, putting his finger on one of my pet-hates’ était un peu redondant.)
- one of my pet-hates/peeves/my soft points/a pet-hate of mine était parfait.

D. Comme il est responsable du groupe et très autoritaire, il vous obligera à respecter les règles, par la contrainte s'il le faut ...

As he’s the leader of the group and a very bossy one, he’ll make you respect the rules, using coercion if necessary./if need be.

- Bossy / authoritative/authoritarian/
- ‘responsible for’ faisait appel au concept de ‘responsabilité’ = to be accountable. Ici, c’était plutôt son autorité sur le groupe sur laquelle on voulait insister.(Les British people aiment bien ‘the party leader’ ou ‘leader of the party’ – comme si s’occuper d’un groupe était toujours ‘a party’ ! sigh ! )
- he’ll make you respect/force you to respect/ = to abide by the rules= to obey the rules. Contraire = to break the rules.

E. Tout ceci était malavisé de ta part ... Tu t'es conduite comme une gamine effrontée et prétentieuse ...

All this was ill-advised of you… You’ve behaved like a brazen and sassy girlie…

- Unwise/ foolish /ill-advised/ =>- ill-advised of sby to do something/ unwise of sby to do stg
- Brazen/brash/sassy/ shameless = effrontée, impertinente/conceited /self-important= qui a de l’arrogance/pretentious/vain =vaniteux
- Brat; kid asexué ! => girlie

F. Une augmentation de 15% des prix d'achat a entraîné un excédent de ce produit sur le marché et à une diminution drastique de sa demande.

A 15 percent rise in purchase prices has caused a surplus of the product on the market and a drastic drop in its demand.

- un excédent = a surplus of/an excess of
- a decrease= a drop
- la loi de l’offre et de la demande = the law of supply and demand.

“ Men like to work. It's a funny thing, but they do. They may moan about it every Monday morning, they may agitate for shorter hours and longer holidays, but they need to work for their self- respect."
" That's different."
"Why?"
"Well, it's nice work. It's meaningful. It's rewarding.
I don't mean in money terms. It would be worth doing even if one wasn't paid anything at all. "

Les humains aiment travailler. C’est drôle, mais c’est le cas. Il se peut qu’ils se plaignent (1) tous les lundis matin (2), qu’ils revendiquent des horaires (3) plus légers et des vacances plus longues, mais ils ont besoin de travailler pour préserver leur dignité.(4)
C’est parce qu’on les y a conditionnés. Les gens pourraient s’habituer à vivre sans travail.
Vous pourriez, vous ? Je pensais que vous aimiez votre travail.
C’est différent !
En quoi ?
Eh bien, j’ai un bon travail, qui a vraiment un sens (5), il est gratifiant. Ici, je ne parle pas de rétribution (6) …
Ce travail vaudrait la peine d’être fait (7) même s’il ne rapportait rien du tout …

(1) - to moan = gémir, se plaindre.
(2) - Attention à l’orthographe :
C'est dans ce même ordre d'idée qu'on écrit : tous les dimanches matin et le mardi soir de chaque semaine. Dans le premier cas, matin est au singulier car il n'y a qu'un seul matin dans une journée par contre il y a plusieurs dimanches. Dans le deuxième cas, il n'y a qu'un seul mardi dans la semaine d'où le singulier et il n'y a toujours qu'un seul soir dans un mardi.
(3) - des heures plus courtes ne convenait vraiment pas … une heure = 60 minutes ! (mais ‘des journées de travail plus courtes’ était OK !)
(4) - leur dignité /estime de soi/ respect de soi. = TB
(leur ‘propre respect’, ‘propre estime‘, ‘respect à eux ‘ n’allaient pas) ;
(5) - meaningful = significatif (pas ici) mais qui a une signification, un sens, une utilité. Mon travail est gratifiant, non par le salaire que je perçois, mais par le sens qu’il a.
(6) - en termes pécuniaires /si l’on n’était pas payé du tout pour le faire/ même sans aucune rémunération/même pour rien du tout/

III) Bonus!

The less they’ll see each other, the more impatient they’ll be to spend their holiday together.

Ici, j’ai choisi un ‘contre exemple’ de ce que je vous répète depuis le début. La règle : verbe rejeté à la fin de la proposition dans les 'progressions parallèles'=> '...the lazier he becomes'. Mais, lorsque les compléments sont multiples (et/ou longs) ne pas hésiter à faire passer le verbe avant ! C’était le cas ici . Méchante que je suis …

2) Pourquoi ne rien faire ? Je regrette vraiment qu’il n’ait pas protesté et choisi de se taire.

Why do nothing ? I wish he had protested and hadn’t decided to keep quiet./ to keep his mouth shut.

- Why + infinitif (affirmatif ou négatif) ? = juste pour vous rappeler que ‘why+ V…?’ est suivi de l’infinitif sans to (ni de l’infinitif complet, ni de la forme en –ing)
Why didn't he step in?/ Why didn’t he do anything? = sont parfaits.

3) Je regrette de ne pas avoir visité ce monument sur place et d’avoir attendu de regarder la vidéo auparavant.

I wish I had visited this monument immediately on site and I hadn’t watched the video beforehand.

Pas facile, en effet … mais vous vous en êtes très bien tirés ! Merci de tout ce travail.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de ariane6, postée le 31-10-2015 à 23:35:08 (S | E)
Hello Here4u !
Thank you for waiting for me!

A. Stop making fun of him and ridiculing him in front of all his friends ... He's going to be annoyed with you, that's for sure.
B. « Choisis celui que tu veux ... » « Comme tout a été trié sur le volet, je n'ai le choix qu'entre le bon et le meilleur, mais je vais arrêter de tergiverser et me décider pour le grand bleu ! A mon avis,
c'est le mieux !»
B. "Choose whichever one you like ..." "As everything's been carefully preselected, I have no other choice than either the good one or the best. But I'll stop dithering and pick the big blue one! I think
that's the best! "
C. No! I haven't taken a dislike to him, but quite frankly, he touched on one of my pet hates ...
D. Since he's the group leader and very authoritarian, he'll make you respect the rules, by force if necessary!
E. Tout ceci était malavisé de ta part ... Tu t'es conduite comme une gamine effrontée et rétentieuse...
E. All of this was unwise of you ... You behaved like a cheeky, big­headed child...
F. A 15% increase in the wholesale price, led to a drastic drop in the
demand for this product and a market surplus.

“ Men like to work. It's a funny thing, but they do. They may moan about it every Monday morning, they may agitate for shorter hours and longer holidays, but they need to work for their self­respect."
"That's different."
"Why?"
"Well, it's nice work. It's meaningful. It's rewarding. I don't mean in
money terms. It would be worth doing even if one wasn't paid
anything at all. "
David Lodge, Nice Work.
- Les hommes aiment travailler. C'est étrange, mais c'est la vérité. Ils peuvent ronchonner le lundi matin, réclamer moins d'heures ou plus de vacances, mais ils ont besoin de travailler par amour propre.
- Ce n'est que du conditionnement. On pourrait vivre sans boulot.
- Vous croyez ? Je pensais que vous aimiez le vôtre.
- Ça c'est différent.
- Pourquoi ?
- Eh bien, mon métier est agréable, il est utile et gratifiant, et je ne parle pas d'argent, cela vaudrait même la peine de le pratiquer même si je n'étais pas payé un centime.
DL.

III) Bonus!
2) Pourquoi n'avoir rien fait ? Je regrette vraiment qu’il n’ait pas protesté et ait choisi de se taire ...
1)The less often they see each other, the more eager they'll be to spend their holidays together.
2) Why didn't you do anything? I really regret him not protesting and choosing to remain silent...
3) I regret not immediately visiting ( I wish I had visited) this monument in situ and having waited to watch the video first.

Réponse: Exercice 56/ Holding on de here4u, postée le 01-11-2015 à 00:05:02 (S | E)
Hello Ariane ! I knew you'd come !
You'll get your correction tomorrow ...
Have a good Sunday!

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux