Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Advanced Grammar 1/help

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Advanced Grammar 1/help
Message de mvmtl posté le 19-08-2019 à 11:21:13 (S | E | F)
Hello,

Recently, I’ve been revisiting grammar from Advanced Grammar in Use, 3rd Cambridge (Martin Hewings), a self-study reference and practice book, and I wanted to ask some questions regarding some of the grammar points I have come across and that I would like to clarify. Thank you for all your comments and input. The sentences and answers are from this book.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 20-08-2019 18:57
En attente des phrases initiales; voir post suivant...

Réponse : Advanced Grammar 1/help de lucile83, postée le 19-08-2019 à 15:20:41 (S | E)
Hello,
1) Every so often I leave work early and go to a performance in the local concert hall. It’s very close to my office in the building opposite.
Why can’t we say “in the opposite building”?... building opposite (adverb, and more common)/opposite building ( adjective); both are correct.

2) The singer began to sing with wonderful control.
Why can’t we say “With wonderful control the singer began to sing.”?... It's better to start a sentence with the main clause.

3) I don’t like eating shellfish, and never have/have done.
Do “have” and “have done” refer in this case to “never have (liked)” and “never have liked”? ...Yes
Could one also say “never did”? ...No because it means:I have never liked eating shellfish.

4)"Dr Lee is here for you” and “There’s a Dr Amy Lee on the phone. Do you want to talk to her?" ...Yes it's right. I know Dr Lee /I dont know Dr Amy Lee.

5) Do they mean the Neil Armstrong, or someone else? ...Yes, it's right. Is he really the famous Neil Amstrong everybody knows?

6) The office staff claim that they have been treated badly by management. ...It's right because here they refer to the people making the staff.When you refer to individual members of a group you have to use the plural. When you refer to a group as a singular entity you have to use the singular.

7) A lettuce and a carrot are all I need to make the salad. ...It's right because they are 2 different things.
The lorry, its cargo and passengers weighs around 35 tons. ...Lorry,cargo and passengers is a whole, the verb is singular, also because there is one lorry.

Réponse : Advanced Grammar 1/help de gerold, postée le 19-08-2019 à 18:15:13 (S | E)
Hello,
concerning the opposite building vs the building opposite, I have found a discussion on WordReference.com.
The English natives tend to prefer the building opposite in this case. According to a member:
"The opposite building sounds confusing to me. I wonder if the building is diametrically opposite in terms of architectural style."

Réponse : Advanced Grammar 1/help de gerondif, postée le 20-08-2019 à 14:25:26 (S | E)
Hello
You should have left the original first seven sentences, Lucile's correcting hardly makes sense if it doesn't correspond to the sentences above.

4)"Dr Lee is here for you” and “There’s a Dr Amy Lee on the phone. Do you want to talk to her?" ...Yes it's right. I know Dr Lee /I dont know Dr Amy Lee.
"a" here means a certainMrs Lee, somebody called Dr Amy Lee, somebody who says she is Dr Amy Lee

5) Do they mean the Neil Armstrong, or someone else? ...Yes, it's right. Is he really the famous Neil Amstrong everybody knows?
Sometimes this emphatic the is pronounced

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux