Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Difference (1)

<< Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE

Difference
Message de prophatche posté le 20-10-2008 à 17:48:37 (S | E | F)

bonsoir à tous quelqu'un voudrait bien m'expliquer la différence entre:"would you mind my opening" et "would you mind me opening" .
Merci d'avance.

Réponse: Difference de TravisKidd, postée le 20-10-2008 à 18:25:43 (S | E)
"My" is a little more formal. Otherwise they are equivalent.

Réponse: Difference de cecilward, postée le 20-10-2008 à 19:45:46 (S | E)
Agreed. "my opening" would be rather old-fashioned.

However all of the following are fine apart from those marked (*) which are ungrammatical
1. Her mother was furious about his leaving Sarah at the altar.
2. Her mother was furious about him leaving Sarah at the altar.
3. His leaving Sarah at the altar like that was unforgiveable.
4. Him leaving Sarah at the altar like that was unforgiveable.
5. Your leaving her like that was unforgiveable.
6. You leaving her like that was unforgiveable.

7. His drinking had got out of control.
8. *Him drinking had got out of control
8. I'm worried about his drinking.
8. I'm worried about him drinking like that.

The confusion seems to come from the blend between different sentence structures

a. I'm worried about [him].
b. I'm worried about [his drinking too much/continual drunkennes/alcoholism].

In a and b a noun phrase follows "about"; in (a), the noun phrase is the person concerned, in (b) the situation. It could also be the cause. eg. "I'm worried about this plane crashing. I'm worried about metal fatigue."

Note you can't say
c. *I'm worried about [he drinks too much]
you would need "because" or "about how (much)")
d. I'm worried because he drinks too much.

The syntax between the a/b types where there is a noun phrase after "about" seems to have got blurred with the pattern in (d) where there's an embedded clause "he drinks".

Réponse: Difference de tinchodoc, postée le 20-10-2008 à 20:23:05 (S | E)

What a explanation ! Thank you a lot cecilward (and Traviskidd) !

And thanks prophatche to post this question. I was not sure myself how to use that kind of sentence structures, now it’s a bit clearer.

See you!

Réponse: Difference de cecilward, postée le 20-10-2008 à 22:25:54 (S | E)
I'd be interested to see how these examples would work in French in fact.

Réponse: Difference de cecilward, postée le 20-10-2008 à 22:28:04 (S | E)
Before I forget, in case it hasn't been mentioned already, I should also point out that people would probably say
"would you mind _if_ I [do x ...]" too, which is very natural.

Réponse: Difference de TravisKidd, postée le 21-10-2008 à 09:28:58 (S | E)
When "drinking" refers to the habit of drinking alcohol, rather than the action of drinking, it is no longer a gerund. That is why "him drinking" is incorrect in this case.

Réponse: Difference de intrepid34, postée le 21-10-2008 à 21:22:07 (S | E)
Hi Travis Kid

No, not really - !! him drinking .......

I'm worried about him, drinking like that. It's ok, cool. We say that in English and you do too - in the States.

Love

Réponse: Difference de TravisKidd, postée le 23-10-2008 à 04:04:50 (S | E)
Yes, but in your example the word "drinking" refers to the action of drinking, and not the habit (even if the action is performed habitually).

Compare with: His drinking has become a real problem at work.

Réponse: Difference de damyoro, postée le 25-10-2008 à 17:19:47 (S | E)
I couldn't understand well the use of the pronoun in some of these sentence, especially when placed at the beginning of the sentence.
For example: Him leaving her at the altar was unforgiveable
cause him is an pronoun objet. I am confused

Réponse: Difference de TravisKidd, postée le 25-10-2008 à 21:24:59 (S | E)
When attaching a subject to a gerund, either a possessive pronoun (like "his") or an object pronoun (like "him") is used, in spite of the fact that it is the subject of the gerund, and regardless of whether the gerund itself is the subject or an object of the sentence.

Réponse: Difference de damyoro, postée le 26-10-2008 à 11:52:06 (S | E)
Ok thank you very much for your explanation. It is clear now to me.

POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux