Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Oral/Idea of progress

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Oral/Idea of progress
Message de marielh posté le 27-04-2014 à 18:27:58 (S | E | F)
Bonjour à tous,
est-ce quelqu'un pourrait prendre un peu de son temps pour m'aider à corriger mes fautes s'il vous plaît ?
Il s'agit de mon oral pour le bac d'anglais cette semaine.
Merci beaucoup pour vos réponses

I am going to talk about the idea of progress. First, I would like to give a definition of progress. The idea of progress basically consists in believing that the world could become better in terms of technology, liberty and quality of life and has shaped most of Western civilization’s vision of history. As the rhythm of progress seems to have accelerated these last few decades with an ever faster increase of major technological and scientific breakthroughs, the cult of novelty and progress is now being questioned. Indeed, a growing number of people voice their concern about the ethical, social and environmental consequences of such development and about the excesses of today’s consumer society. I have chosen to focus on this latter issue. How can people change their consumption habits ?
First, I will exhibit the way people nowadays consume and I will highlight the abuses of this way of consumption. Then I will show how people try to react to hyper-consumerism and are setting up new systems.
I- shopping habits
At the beginning of the 20th century Will Rogers highlighted how consumerism had changed to lead to a consumer society. He highlighted that people just want to fit in and not to be in the fringe of society. As well as an increasing number of local shops, large shopping malls have increased around the world. Over the past few years, the modes of consumption have greatly evolved, the development of the Internet has opened up new prospects with online shopping, which can be seen as the natural continuation of the “Consumer Society”. Nowadays people even shop from their living-room and they have access to a very extensive range of items. Online shopping is becoming more and more popular so that Amazon is the world’s largest marketplace. Consumption is lived as the way to access freedom.
II- Excesses
However more liberty thanks to a broader consumption was bring, consumption and the cult of novelty, which have been developed, generate new concerns. People are became addicted to shopping and make compulsive spending. We studied in class an excerpt from an article where the author related the death of a man and the verbal violence due to the hysteria generated by the Black Friday sales. This incident is a symbol of a fanatical, hyper-consumerist ethos, which has come to define us as individuals and as a community. It shows how people are infantile and no longer think for themselves. Consumerism is turned to a new cult religion.
III- Resistance and Alternative buying
Reacting to hyper-consumerism, uniformity and wastage, some people are setting up new systems to build a sustainable society. They criticize materialism and the eternal dissatisfaction that Consumer Society brings. This new phenomenon may stem from either the need to spend less due to the economic recession, or a way of making a profit on discarded goods. We studied an article which exhibit several means such as exchanging goods, renting goods and bartering goods to take part in a collaborative consumption. In addition to this, we studied an article entitled “A Freegan world”. It raise people’s awareness of the false needs created by advertisers and exhibit alternatives to berserk shopping. It promotes the Freegan’ s way of live, based on eating other people’s waste and the Fair trade products that often offer a better quality and a more respectful approach to consumption.

To conclude, the development of large shopping malls, advertisements and the Internet contribute to create a consumer society, where people are became materialist, eternally dissatisfied and act like berserk fanatics. Thus the progress is not always a complete improvement. In this case, it make firstly people independent but finally create addiction and a modern enslavement. However, some resistances has emerged and promote a more respectful approach to consumption. The progress then leads the way towards sustainability.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 27-04-2014 20:40

Réponse: Oral/Idea of progress de bluestar, postée le 28-04-2014 à 17:13:44 (S | E)
Bonjour...

I am going to talk about the idea of progress. First, I would like to give a definition of progress. The idea of progress basically consists in believing that the world could become better in terms of technology, liberty and quality of life and has shaped most of Western civilization’s vision of history. As the rhythm of progress seems to have accelerated these last few decades with an ever faster increase of major technological and scientific breakthroughs, the cult of novelty and progress is now being questioned. Indeed, a growing number of people voice their concern about the ethical, social and environmental consequences of such development and about the excesses of today’s consumer society. I have chosen to focus on this latter issue. How can people change their consumption habits ?
First, I will exhibit the way people nowadays consume and I will highlight the abuses of this way of consumption. Then I will show how people try to react to hyper-consumerism and are setting up new systems.
I- shopping habits
At the beginning of the 20th century Will Rogers highlighted how consumerism had changed to lead to a consumer society (a reformuler) He highlighted that people just want to fit in and not to be in on the fringes of society. As well as an increasing number of local shops, Llarge shopping malls, as well as local shops, have increased around the world. Over the past few years, the modes of consumption have greatly evolved, and the development of the Internet has opened up new prospects with online shopping, which can be seen as the natural continuation of the “Consumer Society”. Nowadays people even shop from their living-rooms and they have access to a very extensive range of items. Online shopping is becoming more and more popular so that Amazon is the world’s largest marketplace. Consumption is lived? as the way to access(une autre verbe) freedom.
II- Excesses
However, more liberty thanks to a broader consumption was bring, consumption and the cult of novelty, which have been developed, generate new concerns.(Cette phrase ne fonctionne pas. Il ya trop de pensées en elle. Réécrire sous une forme simple) People are became(participe présent, pas participe passé) addicted to shopping and make compulsive spending. We studied in class an excerpt from an article where the author related the death of a man and the verbal violence due to the hysteria generated by the Black Friday sales. This incident is a symbol of a fanatical, hyper-consumerist ethos, which has come to define us as individuals and as a community. It shows how people are infantile and no longer think for themselves. Consumerism is turned to a new cult religion.
III- Resistance and Alternative buying
Reacting to hyper-consumerism, uniformity and wastage, some people are setting up new systems to build a sustainable society. They criticize materialism and the eternal dissatisfaction that the Consumer Society brings. This new phenomenon may stem from either the need to spend less due to the economic recession, or a way of making a profit on discarded goods. We studied an article which exhibit several means such as exchanging goods, renting goods and bartering goods to take part in a collaborative consumption. In addition to this, we studied an article entitled “A Freegan world”. It raise (accorde) people’s awareness of the false needs created by advertisers and exhibit(accorde) alternatives to berserk ('crazy' irait mieux) shopping. It promotes the Freegan’ s way of live, based on eating other people’s waste and the Fair trade products that often offer a better quality and a more respectful approach to consumption.

To conclude, the development of large shopping malls, advertisements and the Internet contribute to create (-ing forme) a consumer society, where people are became materialist, eternally dissatisfied and act like berserk fanatics. Thus the progress is not always a complete improvement. In this case, it makes firstly people independent but finally creates addiction and a modern enslavement. However, some resistances has (accorde) emerged and promote a more respectful approach to consumption. The Pprogress then leads the way towards sustainability.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux