Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Recently/ PP or Past simple

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Recently/ PP or Past simple
Message de ccbern posté le 01-05-2016 à 16:11:45 (S | E | F)
Hello everybody,
Please, help: I would like to know what tense I must use with recently.
Some days ago I asked a question to a webmaster: " have you recently changed your Java version, because trading platform doesn't work any more".
I've received my answer, but in addition the webmaster has corrected my sentence in: "Did you change your Java version recently?".
I was very surprised with this answer: when the action is close to the present, present perfect shouldn't it be used instead of preterite?
I would like to know the rule in this case.
Thank you very much for your answer.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 01-05-2016 16:35

Réponse: Recently/ PP or Past simple de gerondif, postée le 01-05-2016 à 16:31:38 (S | E)
Hello,
You are complaining because of something that happened a few days ago, in the past, something which is finished, over. The webmaster might have said:
I changed my Java version last month, a few days ago, recently. The action is over. Recently pins the action in the past.

If you say: I saw him two minutes ago.(Je l'ai vu il y a deux minutes) ago forces you to use the preterite and there is no other meaning to the sentence. It is already a memory from the past.

If you say: I have just seen him! je viens de le voir, then you mean: It is not too late, if you hurry, you may catch him back and give him that important document you wish to give him.

It is all a question of point of view, not a question of how many minutes separate the action from the present time.

The present perfect is often used with frequency adverbs: never, ever, it's the first time, sometimes, already, often, always, regularly.

Recently is more an adverb of time, like two days ago....

Now which tense should you use with recently:
It depends on your point of view:
If it is a memory from the past: I recently saw "Titanic" again.
If you decide to insist on the consequences that stretch into the present, you might decide to "override" recently:
I have recently decided to eat less in order to lose weight and so I don't buy cakes any more not to be tempted.

Réponse: Recently/ PP or Past simple de ccbern, postée le 01-05-2016 à 16:37:53 (S | E)
Hello Gerondif,thank you so much for your clear explanation.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 01-05-2016 16:39

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux