Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

English/Tour De France

Cours gratuits > Forum > Thèmes généraux, jeux, chansons || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

English/Tour De France
Message de misterp posté le 09-07-2013 à 18:21:34 (S | E | F)
Hello

does anybody know how the name of the English champion "C Froome" is pronounced in English ?
I have seen him in The Tour de France. French speakers don't pronounce his name well, I think.
I suppose it is simple
FR
+ "OO" as the "U" of "truly"
+ ME as the "E" of "me" ?
Is it correct ?
Thank you
Pascal

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 09-07-2013 19:17

Réponse: English/Tour De France de bluestar, postée le 09-07-2013 à 18:57:23 (S | E)
Hello..

Pronounce it to rhyme with "room" - the "e" is silent..

Réponse: English/Tour De France de hinot49, postée le 09-07-2013 à 21:35:44 (S | E)
English/Tour de France ,
Good evening Misterp ,
Never mind Froome is going "vroom vroom" : he's the best in the world .
Bye bye

Réponse: English/Tour De France de misterp, postée le 10-07-2013 à 00:14:56 (S | E)
I see, thank you
So it is Not like for the American actor "Nick NoltE", or for the "NikE" shoes company
One thing which is a bit disappointing with English : it's almost necessary to have an English person beside you (I am exaggerating a bit I know ), he/she has to pronounce the word for a first time, and you have to listen carefully.
It is often the same thing with French I believe
But not with Spanish language for example. In Spanish it easy to read and pronounce correctly. Ditto with Italian I believe
One of my main discoveries in language learning : language is at first sounds and only sounds.
We have learnt in that way when we were babies with our parents.
It is They are not written words. And once this is well understood it is good to also try to associate the written words with the real sounds of the words, at the same time.
(don't hesitate to correct what I have written above if you want. of you have found faults !)

-------------------
Modifié par misterp le 10-07-2013 00:21

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 10-07-2013 08:08

Réponse: English/Tour De France de bluestar, postée le 10-07-2013 à 12:58:21 (S | E)
Hello..

I think 'Nike' comes from the Greek and that is why it is sometimes pronounced 'Naikeee', but I have also heard it pronounced to rhyme with bike, like, pike etc. Other words where the final e is sounded also come from Greek, such as 'epitome', 'catastrophe'. Although the final 'e' is usually not sounded in English, it can affect the word's pronounciation : car/care; hop/hope; etc.
It is true that pronounciation in English can be a minefield - cough, tough, bough have different pronouncations of the last four letters, as have bone, gone, done of the last three..On the other hand Anglo learners of French often have difficulty with the pronounciations of 'r' and 'n'

Nick Nolte is of German descent on his father's side and that may account for the 'Noltee' pronounciation - the final 'e' is never silent in German.

Réponse: English/Tour De France de misterp, postée le 10-07-2013 à 14:23:14 (S | E)
OK, one full information !

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Thèmes généraux, jeux, chansons

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux