Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Under/ in the shade

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Under/ in the shade
Message from mohammad51 posted on 29-12-2017 at 18:09:54 (D | E | F)
Hi
please anyone could answer? Thanks in advance.
under or in?
I got a good book of grammar " Error Correction Workbook" and the example I mentioned is from it.
I suggest in or the above book chooses In not under, but I saw the Cambridge dictionary mentioned this example:
" The children played in/under the shade of a large beach umbrella."
The tired traveller was sitting in\ under the shade of the tree.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 29-12-2017 22:32

Re: Under/ in the shade from lucile83, posted on 29-12-2017 at 22:38:47 (D | E)
Hello,
You can be in the shade of a tree for instance, but not under the shade.
You can be under a tree.
Shade is abstract. A tree is concrete.

Re: Under/ in the shade from dsmith, posted on 17-01-2018 at 17:24:54 (D | E)
Hello,
If you are just talking about the shade...yes I agree then you say "in the shade".
I am standing over here in the shade.
But when they add..."of the tree" or "of the umbrella" that gives the image of a physical object and "under" is often used. A native English speaker would not consider it to be incorrect nor are they taught that it is incorrect.
Here is a poem with the term "under the shade of the trees"Link

Here are two books with this phrase in the title:Link
Link

Here is a link to some debate about this topic.Link

Re: Under/ in the shade from lucile83, posted on 17-01-2018 at 23:26:16 (D | E)
Hello dsmith,
I am afraid neither of those authors or writers is British English in the links you mention.
In the last link which is a dictionary on line, British members use 'in the shade' more often than 'under the shade'. One of them writes that Indian people always make the mistake to use 'under' instead of 'in'.
Regards.

Re: Under/ in the shade from dsmith, posted on 17-01-2018 at 23:59:02 (D | E)
Hello,
Thanks for your reply. It is not logical to conclude that examples from non-UK sources prove the language is not also used in Britain. Yes I agree that "in the shade" is frequently used. "Under the shade of something" is correct as well and is seen and accepted, even in Britain. It seems examples from Britain will be more satisfying so I endeavored to find some.
Even the great William Shakespeare who has defined in many ways "British English" used this form in one of his plays:

ORLANDO
Speak you so gently? Pardon me, I pray you.
I thought that all things had been savage here,
And therefore put I on the countenance
Of stern commandment. But whate'er you are
That in this desert inaccessible,
Under the shade of melancholy boughs,
Lose and neglect the creeping hours of time,
If ever you have looked on better days,
If ever been where bells have knolled to church,
If ever sat at any good man’s feast,
If ever from your eyelids wiped a tear
And know what ’tis to pity and be pitied,
Let gentleness my strong enforcement be,
In the which hope I blush and hide my sword.
From "As You Like It" Act II Scene 7

And from the Memoirs of the Duke of Cambridge:Link

And from another British book:Link

I found examples on other UK webpages as well.
Best Regards,
Douglas

Re: Under/ in the shade from mohammad51, posted on 18-01-2018 at 15:20:24 (D | E)
Hello
in the shade or under the shade
Before I posted my question here, I noticed that Cambridge mentioned this "The children played in/under the shade of a large beach umbrella"
But I agree with this shade is an abstract thing not like a tree to sit under it...

Re: Under/ in the shade from lucile83, posted on 29-12-2017 at 22:38:47 (D | E)
Hello,
You can be in the shade of a tree for instance, but not under the shade.
You can be under a tree.
Shade is abstract. A tree is concrete.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux