Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Present continuous/ simple

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Present continuous/ simple
Message from mohammad51 posted on 04-01-2018 at 12:34:55 (D | E | F)
Hi
Please anyone could be kind and answer or guide me?
I got this question online and I answered it using the present continuous not the v + ing form, then it goes correct.
My question is why the second choice is rejected by the page ( the page ticked it wrong)... here it is:
Can you do the hoovering while __ tomorrow?
I am shopping ... correct
I will be shopping ... wrong according to the page ....why?

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 04-01-2018 16:17

Re: Present continuous/ simple from lucile83, posted on 04-01-2018 at 16:36:07 (D | E)
Hello,
In a time clause you can't use the future tense.
When,while,as soon as,etc. will be followed by the present simple or continuous.
I'll wait for you tomorrow while you are shopping.
He'll call me as soon as he arrives.

Re: Present continuous/ simple from mah, posted on 05-01-2018 at 02:15:13 (D | E)
Hello!
Or we say: I'll wait for you as long as you like.
When, while, as soon as, as long as.... Make the time clause with simple present or continuous one, not with future.
When we use Will it's the sign of future time, and it is not used with these conjunctions.
Best regards

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 05-01-2018 06:55

Re: Present continuous/ simple from mohammad51, posted on 05-01-2018 at 22:42:06 (D | E)
Thank you both for the good explanation.
Best wishes

Re: Present continuous/ simple from mohammad51, posted on 12-01-2018 at 15:36:26 (D | E)
Hello
I searched not only here and all would agree that is incorrect grammar to use future by ( will) after conjunctions of time such as:
as soon as, when, while etc.... but I noticed this here in this site here is the link and the content:
Link

Warning! The subordinate clause can be at the beginning of the sentence!
When tears are in your eyes I will dry them all. (Paul Simon)
As soon as you meet Janet, you will love her.
Until you are eighteen, you will not drive a car.
So, can you tell me how is exception or what if the difference it tells about?

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 12-01-2018 22:24

Re: Present continuous/ simple from gerondif, posted on 12-01-2018 at 16:20:56 (D | E)
Hello,

I can see no exception to the rule !
When tears are in your eyes I will dry them all. (Paul Simon)
I will dry your tears as soon as they are in your eyes.

You will love Jane as soon as you meet her.

You won't drive a car until you are eighteen.

The only "trap" is this one:
You will come and then, I will tell you the secret.
I will tell you the secret when you come. Time clause, no future after when. The question is: WHEN will you tell me the secret ?

Tell me what time your train will arrive, tell me what time you will arrive, tell me when you will arrive, tell me the time of your arrival. Object clauses. The question is : WHAT will you tell me ?

Re: Present continuous/ simple from mohammad51, posted on 12-01-2018 at 21:21:27 (D | E)
Hello
Then what's the matter?
Once all or most grammarians say. " after conjunction or phrases of time like, as soon as, when , while etc.." you must not use the future by Will or rather to use Be going to.. while we see you used these examples:
Why these two views in grammar to say something and do the opposite?
To say something and practically we see the opposite! Should i die from the grammar!
I understand it, one may not use will directly after those conjunctions.
And here Cambridge confirms it :
Warning:
We don’t use will after conjunctions referring to future time:
When people walk into the room, they will feel something special.
Not: When people will walk into the room… ( This is always known incorrect use of will) itself is a wrong structure
I will call you as soon as I get to the office.
Not: … as soon as I will get to the office.
And here Link

Future in time clauses (as soon as, when, before, while...)
The time clauses in the English language are introduced by conjunctions such as after, as soon as, before, till, until, when, whenever, while or time expressions such as the minute, the moment etc.
We do not use the future tense (will) in a time clause to describe future activities (in this respect, it it similar to if clauses).

Compare:
I'll come back home and I'll do it. x I'll do it when I come back home. (when I come is the time clause)
You will push this button and the door will open. x As soon as you push this button the door will open.
Don't stand up. First I'll tell you. x Don't stand up till (until) I tell you.
You'll need my car. Take it. x Whenever you need my car you can take it.
You'll tidy up the house and I'll do the shopping. x You'll tidy up the house while I do the shopping.
You will drop the bomb and it will explode. x The moment you drop the bomb it will explode
---------
And here in this site Link

No future after 'When', 'As soon as', 'As long as', 'Until' ('till')… + subordinate clause
I'll go to the dentist's as soon as I have (no future!) a toothache
What a mess! Your mother will be angry when she comes back. (no future!)
I'll stay at home until you phone me. (no future!)
Lastly what does this speech mean then ( it is a reply to my topic here Link
+
Last thing to say, what is this ambiguity of explaining, why they don't clear it well?

Re: Present continuous/ simple from lucile83, posted on 12-01-2018 at 22:42:28 (D | E)
Hello,
We don't use future in time clauses.
As soon as you meet Janet, you will love her....
as soon as you meet Janet = time clause
you will love her = main clause
The links you noticed say exactly the same thing.

Your first example:
Can you do the hoovering while __ tomorrow?
I am shopping ... correct
I will be shopping ... wrong according to the page ....why? because the time clause is : while I am shopping
The main clause is : can you do the hoovering
I don't understand what your problem is, sorry.

Re: Present continuous/ simple from mohammad51, posted on 13-01-2018 at 13:53:26 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you lucile83 and to all teachers as well.

The problem is not beyond me but beyond authors
Please read the following paragraph.
The matter that firstly makes me confused is the headline of the author's topic as said below :
Like all future tenses, the Future Continuous cannot be used in clauses beginning with time expressions such as: when, while, before, after, by the time, as soon as, if, unless, etc. Instead of Future Continuous, Present Continuous is used.
---
Here and all pages of grammar everywhere confirmed this idea. Everyone knows that will cannot be used in the time of as soon as, but lastly I myself understood what indeed the meaning is.
The matter needs us to separate between the time of as soon as \ when ( conjunctions of time) clauses and the time of will clause.
We cannot say for example, as soon as it will stop raining but as soon as it stops, and unless we separate between the time of will clause and as soon as clause our sentences will be incorrect. I perfectly know this rule
-----
The method of writing a topic or authoring a book to say " Like all future tenses, the Future Continuous cannot be used in clauses beginning with time ...." This maybe makes readers confused that it is incorrect to use will in any part of the sentence after these conjunctions of time. I understood it before the topic I posted yesterday and just blamed the grammarians why not make their books or posts understandable ......This only ..
Everyone reads or does not read this information knows that using will in the same duration time of while, when , as soon as etc.. is wrong >> no one says or accept to say, " as soon as it will rain or when it will rain or when I will come but for example, as soon as it rains, I will go home.
The problem is beyond the authors who can't make the student or the reader correctly receive the idea.
Now please look on this:
While I am going to be finishing my homework, she is going to make dinner. Not Correct
While I am finishing my homework, she is going to make dinner. Correct Every talented searcher knows the first one is incorrect simply ( be going to ) and be finishing can't be joined in one clause

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux