Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Future/when as soon as

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Future/when as soon as
Message from mohammad51 posted on 25-01-2018 at 12:04:28 (D | E | F)
Hello
I can't understand this language; once you said we cannot use future in the time of as soon as\ when\ after\ as long as\ whenever\ while etc....
Now I notice you use it, so can you explain for me why?... your page link:
Link

Examples:
She‘ll open her mail as soon as she comes back home.
I think the correct is: As soon as she comes back home, she will open her mail.
we need to separate between the both times ( not to use as soon as in the time of will clause)
Will you still love me when I'm 64? this interrogative and is already correct.
When will he come to take me home? This is interrogative and correct.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 25-01-2018 12:43

Re: Future/when as soon as from gerondif, posted on 25-01-2018 at 12:15:50 (D | E)
Hello
Please understand that it is only in the time clause, after the conjunctions when, as soon as, until, etc ... , that we shouldn't use a future tense.
I will go to the garage tomorrow : You must admit that I have the right to speak in the future tense, right ?
I will go to the garage tomorrow, when / once / as soon as my car is repaired.
I won't go back to the garage until my car is ready.
Where is the problem ?

The English language works like this.

"You will come tomorrow and I will tell you the secret tomorrow" becomes:
"I will tell you the secret when you come / once you are here / as soon as you arrive.

In your case :
She will come back home and she will then open her mail, which becomes :

She‘ll open her mail as soon as she comes back home.
As soon as she comes back home, she will open her mail.
or
She will open her mail as soon as she comes back home.
But, once again, where is the problem ?

Re: Future/when as soon as from mohammad51, posted on 25-01-2018 at 16:32:36 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you gerondif, I admit you are a good teacher,but can you explain these please? Wrong use or correct use?
Is will in the following sentences not used in the time of when?
1- . Tell me when she'll be ready to hear what she must be told. OK let us say indirect interrogative
2- I don't know when she'll stop complaining, but she's really selfish and boring!
3- I hope the day will come when poverty will be eradicated. Hope,say future is needed.
4- I'm not sure when this letter will get to them. Not sure perhaps you would say, will\ will be is not used in the time of when?
5- . Oh dear... what terrible weather! I wonder when the rain will stop. Wonder, let me say OK!
All the grammarians in the wold confirm that will is not used in the clause of time-conjunctions like when,while, as soon as, after, as long as etc.....
Here one of them said:
We never use the future tense in time clauses (introduced by phrases like “after”,
“as soon as”, “before”, etc.) in English. Should we need to express the idea of
something happening, say, after something else in the future, we use the present
tense in the time clause and the future tense or a command in the main clause. For
example:
I will give it to him after he arrives. (correct)
I will give it to him after he will arrive. (wrong)
As soon as you get the email, let me know, please. (correct)
As soon as you will get the email, let me know, please. (wrong)

Re: Future/when as soon as from mohammad51, posted on 25-01-2018 at 16:48:57 (D | E)
Hello
Again, I think to solve this problem in the grammar, we need to separate by inserting a comma between the clause of (will clause) and those clauses of time-conjunctions

Re: Future/when as soon as from gerondif, posted on 25-01-2018 at 17:30:48 (D | E)
Hello,
Whenever you can use a "what"question instead of a "when"question, then, you will be able to use the future tense after when because it will be an object-clause, not a time-clause.

I will tell you the secret when she comes.
When will you tell me the secret ?
I will tell you the secret when she comes.

I will tell you the time of her arrival = I will tell you when she will come. = I will tell you the exact time when she will come.
Question : What will you tell me ?

Compare:
I will tell you the exact time //when she comes time-clause. WHEN will you tell me the exact time ?
I will tell you //the exact time when she will come,// the exact time of her arrival// Object. WHAT will you tell me ?
------------------------------------------------

From now on, green is right and blue is wrong
1- . WHAT must I tell you ?Tell me (the time)when she'll be ready to hear what she must be told. OK let us say indirect interrogative or a sort of relative clause: the time when, the reason why, the place where
2- WHAT don't you know ? I don't know when she'll stop complaining, but she's really selfish and boring!
3- I hope the day will come when poverty will be eradicated. Hope,say future is needed.(relative clause)
4- What are you uncertain about ?I'm not sure when this letter will get to them.
It would be different if I said: When will you be sure , I will be sure when I see the evidence !
5- . Oh dear... what terrible weather! What do you wonder ?I wonder when the rain will stop.
All the grammarians in the wold confirm that will is not used in the clause of time-conjunctions like when,while, as soon as, after, as long as etc..... ok, there were NO time-clauses in the examples above.
Here one of them said:
We never use the future tense in time clauses (introduced by phrases like “after”,
“as soon as”, “before”, etc.) in English. And he is damn right !
Should we need to express the idea of something happening, say, after something else in the future, we use the present
tense in the time clause and the future tense or a command in the main clause. No, you complicate things uselessly.
For example:
WHEN will you give it to me ?I will give it to him after he arrives. (correct)
I will give it to him after he will arrive. (Yes, it is wrong)
As soon as you get the email, let me know, please. (correct) When will he let him know ? As soon as he gets the mail.
As soon as you will get the email, let me know, please. (Yes, it is wrong)

Tell me when you will get the mail = tell me the following piece of information, the day when, the time when you will get the mail (object). Question WHAT need I tell you ?

I hope it is clearer ! My trick with the question what or when usually works !

Re: Future/when as soon as from gerondif, posted on 12-02-2018 at 12:29:27 (D | E)
Hello
According to the site, your last connection was on Thursday, January 25th, at 17:25. When you ask for further information, try to come and read it.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux