Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Is there a mistake/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Is there a mistake/help
Message from mohammad51 posted on 16-01-2023 at 17:51:55 (D | E | F)
Hello,
Please get me help with the following sentence.
Thank you in advance

A sentence from the book Adjective of English Grammar 2 by Thomas Wood
Correct the mistake

He is nowhere near so bright as John.

We can say He is not as \ so bright as John.

Nowhere near = correct phrase

So, what's the error with ?

Here is another sentence. Another book of grammar also tells to correct the sentences

Jupiter is almost so bright as Venus.

I think there is no mistake with grammar, but perhaps with knowledge

Venus is brighter than Jupiter. = both grammar and knowledge correct

Re: Is there a mistake/help from gerondif, posted on 17-01-2023 at 00:02:15 (D | E)
Hello
Normally we use as...as in affirmative sentences and not as...as or not so...as in negative sentences.

He is nowhere near so bright as John. He is far from being as bright as John, he is not nearly as bright as John. not applies to nearly and nowhere to near, not to the comparison itself in my opinion.

We can say He is not as \ so bright as John. Yes.

Jupiter is almost so bright as Venus. Wrong ! The sentence is not negative.

Re: Is there a mistake/help from jonquille, posted on 17-01-2023 at 00:21:07 (D | E)
Hi!
I found this information on a university site. I don't know if it will help as a source of information. Although, it seems that "as...as" is becoming more accepted for negative comparative sentences than "so...as", at least in spoken language.
Link

The question now becomes: In the following sentences, when do you use "so" or "as" when comparing one thing to another?
He is nowhere near so bright as John.
Jupiter is almost so bright as Venus.
jonquille

Re: Is there a mistake/help from mohammad51, posted on 17-01-2023 at 05:04:24 (D | E)
Hello

Thank you very much both teachers.
The questions are indeed from two books.
I forgot something to add. The question is:

Jupiter is almost 60 bright as Venus.

The Child's Grammar: First Lessons in Language - Page 276

Re: Is there a mistake/help from gerondif, posted on 17-01-2023 at 11:43:43 (D | E)
Hello
It probably was:
Jupiter is almost 60 times as bright as Venus.
In French, we would say the equivalent of : Jupiter is 60 times brighter than Venus. It is always a source of mistakes.
It is difficult to understand for some pupils that you say :
He is as tall as me. Equality.
He is taller than me : superiority.
He is taller and taller: superiority.
He is twice/ three times as tall as me. Superiority but achieved through multiplying equality.

Re: Is there a mistake/help from mohammad51, posted on 17-01-2023 at 11:59:14 (D | E)
Hello
Jupiter is almost 60 bright as Venus.

So it can be corrected as :

Jupiter is brighter than Venus.

What would say dear teacher gerondif ?

Re: Is there a mistake/help from gerondif, posted on 17-01-2023 at 12:32:22 (D | E)
Hello
Jupiter is almost 60 bright as Venus. is wrong because some words are missing.
Jupiter is almost 60 times as bright as Venus.

Jupiter is much/ a lot/ far brighter than Venus. Yes, to put it simply.

If you use percentages, the comparative of superiority seems to be in use :
Linguee :
The solution made any structural work unnecessary, was gentle on the guests and was approx. 90 per cent cheaper than CAT wiring.
We can shop in a larger market and often buy goods up to a third cheaper.

And as I was telling you, some are tempted to say :
Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of) being about 100 times cheaper than in Turkey, with North Americans burning three times the amount of transport fuel for each dollar earned, compared with western Europeans.

Re: Is there a mistake/help from mohammad51, posted on 17-01-2023 at 18:04:50 (D | E)
hello
Please dear teacher gerondif guide me with this one as well.
Thank you in advance
I also find it difficult for me to solve

Correct the error

The camel has as much strength and more endurance than the horse.

Comparative

1- as must be removed since the camel is more endurable = it is also stronger than the horse. ( understood)

I searched the whole online and couldn't find a machachable result.

2- if we keep on the first clause , it also goes wrong with a parallel structure

My suggestion :
1- The camel is stronger, and more endurable than the horse. Sorry I edited

2- The camel has more strength and better endurance , which the horse has not. ( not correct comparative )

-------------------
Edited by mohammad51 on 17-01-2023 18:32

Re: Is there a mistake/help from gerondif, posted on 17-01-2023 at 18:29:32 (D | E)
Hello
The camel has as much strength and more endurance than the horse.
two different structures as...as and more than, than cannot be in common for the two of them.
Maybe with "but", considering then that as a horse was implicit.
The camel has as much strength (as a horse) but more endurance than a horse.

1- The camel is more stronger,( wrong grammatically) and more endurable (endurable and enduring have different meanings) than the horse.

1- A camel is stronger and more enduring than a horse. Yes, but the meaning is not the same as "as much strength as"
2- The camel has more strength and better endurance, which the horse doesn't have. The meaning is different from "as much strength as"

Re: Is there a mistake/help from mohammad51, posted on 17-01-2023 at 18:38:15 (D | E)
Hello

Thank you dear teacher gerondif
So how do we keep it in the same meaning ?

I see no choice still remains

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux