Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Correction/New buildings

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Correction/New buildings
Message from wangboniu posted on 06-05-2011 at 05:53:26 (D | E | F)
Hello,

Could you please proofread my essay?
Thank for your help.

Some people think the new buildings in cites and towns should be built in traditional styles. To what extent do you agree?

With the continuous economic growth, the number of new constructions in cities and towns is growing dramatically. Whether or not these new buildings should be built in old styles is a complicated problem. However, my answer is simple that it is up to the place where the building is going to be built.

Why some one wants new buildings to be built in traditional styles because they try to protect the historical styles of cites and towns. The historical styles are the part of our precious cultural heritage, which should be respected and preserved seriously. For this reason, in historical cities, the new constructions should be designed following the traditional styles and the government should allocate money to repair and recover traditional buildings. The intact old styles cities attract visitors and bring considerable income to local residents.

On the other hand, people need new building in modern styles. The protection does not mean to sacrifice the public needs. To solve this problem, people need to build a new city that is not very far from the old one. The new city should be convenient and comfortable so that people want to live and work there. For example, a new city has been built in London to develop the financial industry and the old one was been carefully preserved to attract more tourists.

In conclusion, new cities should be built to develop economy and satisfy people’s needs, but old cities should be protected to promote tourism. This practical way can avoid conflicts between history and development.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 06-05-2011 07:52

Re: Correction/New buildings from christian42, posted on 06-05-2011 at 13:39:56 (D | E)
Hello,
With the OUR continuous economic growth, the number of new constructions in cities and towns is growing dramatically. Whether or not these new buildings should be built in old styles is a COMPLEX complicated problem. However, my answer is simple that it is up to the place ????????????? I DON T UNDERSTAND THIS PART where the building is going to be built.

Why SHOULD some one want new buildings to be built in traditional styles ? Because they try to protect the historical styles of cites and towns ? Historical styles are part of our precious cultural heritage, which should be respected and preserved seriously. For this reason, in historical cities, ... new constructions should be designed following the traditional styles and governments should allocate money to repair and recover traditional buildings. Intact old styles cities attract visitors and bring considerable income to local residents.

However, people need new building in modern styles. Protection does not mean GETTING RID OF ... public needs. To solve this problem, people need to build a new city that is not very far from the old one. This new city should be convenient and comfortable so that people want to live and work there. For example, a new city has been built in London to develop the financial industry and the old one has been carefully preserved to attract more tourists.

As a conclusion, new cities should be built to develop economy and satisfy people’s needs, but old cities should be protected to promote tourism. This handy way can avoid conflicts between history and development.

Si tu utilises ON THE OTHER HAND cela veut dire que tu as déjà utilisé ON THE ONE HAND et donc que tu sous entends une opposition.
I hope it has been helpful

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 06-05-2011 17:44
No French on this forum, please.

Re: Correction/New buildings from wangboniu, posted on 06-05-2011 at 16:57:43 (D | E)
Hello,

Thank for your response. It helps me a lot.
"However, my answer is simple that it is up to the place ????????????? I DON T UNDERSTAND THIS PART where the building is going to be built."
I want to express is
Whether a building is built in traditional style should be decided by the place in which it will be built.
If there are lots old buildings around the place, a new building should be design in traditional way.

How can I express this meaning in a brief way?

Re: Correction/New buildings from christian42, posted on 06-05-2011 at 17:09:39 (D | E)
Whether a building is built in A traditional style should be decided by the place ON which it will be built.
If there are lots of old buildings around, a new building should be designED in traditional way.

I hope it will help you and that it expresses what you meant.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 06-05-2011 17:42

Re: Correction/New buildings from may, posted on 15-05-2011 at 02:44:27 (D | E)

Hello,

Whether a building is built in traditional style should be decided by the place in which it will be built.
If there are lots old buildings around the place, a new building should be design in traditional way.

How can I express this meaning in a brief way?

I would say:

Whether these new buildings are designed in traditional or modern styles, depending on the surroundings where they are built.

Hope this helps!

Re: Correction/New buildings from wangboniu, posted on 15-05-2011 at 05:11:20 (D | E)
Hello,

I think it is a good sentence.Thank you a lot.

Re: Correction/New buildings from notrepere, posted on 16-05-2011 at 16:25:10 (D | E)
Hello

Sorry may, that's not a good sentence. Two choices to fix it (depending on the meaning you want to convey):

Whether These new buildings are designed in traditional or modern styles depending on the surroundings in which they are built.

Whether these new buildings are designed in traditional or modern styles depends on the surroundings in which they are built.

Cordialement

Re: Correction/New buildings from wangboniu, posted on 18-05-2011 at 05:38:30 (D | E)
Hello,

You are right. I learned a lot here. I should say may's sentence is better than mine and your sentences are the best.

Thank you.

Re: Correction/New buildings from may, posted on 21-05-2011 at 02:01:42 (D | E)
Hello wangboniu,

Thank you for your comment!

Whether these new buildings are designed in traditional or modern styles depends on the surroundings in which they are built.

notrepere, where is the subject of the verb depend?

Re: Correction/New buildings from wangboniu, posted on 21-05-2011 at 09:12:40 (D | E)
Hi,
In my view, the subject should be "Whether these new buildings are designed in traditional or modern styles".

Re: Correction/New buildings from notrepere, posted on 21-05-2011 at 17:25:37 (D | E)
Hello May

wangboniu is correct. "Whether these new buildings are designed in traditional or modern styles" is a noun clause as the subject of the verb.

Here's another example:

Whether Fred can get a better job is not certain.

Lien Internet

See under "G."

Bon apprentissage

Re: Correction/New buildings from may, posted on 22-05-2011 at 02:52:27 (D | E)

Thank you, notrepere...and I am just wondering why the verb "depend" is in singular form

Cordially,

Re: Correction/New buildings from lucile83, posted on 22-05-2011 at 08:01:52 (D | E)
Hello may,

The subject is:
Whether these new buildings are designed in traditional or modern styles

= the fact that these new buildings are designed in traditional or modern styles

then the singular is required here = depends.

Re: Correction/New buildings from may, posted on 23-05-2011 at 01:07:32 (D | E)
Hello,

Very logic, Lucile Thank you very much!

Cordially,

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux