Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Triple Word Challenge #6

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Triple Word Challenge #6
Message from jonquille posted on 08-08-2011 at 18:15:14 (D | E | F)
Hello,

The French version of the game has helped me to improve my vocabulary , so I thought that it would be interesting to try it in English to help those learning English, and others! This “game” will have no winners initially, it will merely be a means of displaying your knowledge and talent! Therefore, the rules will start off much more basically because of my time constraints, but should the need arise and time permit, rules may be adjusted or added.

RULES

Goal: Very simple! Create a text using the 3 words that have been given to you. The text may be short (20-40 words) or longer (60-80 words).

1) Who can participate?: All members from beginner to expert.
2) Word usage: Try to keep the words in the form in which they are given. However, since this is a game to help you improve your English, some changes to the words will be accepted (letters may be added/changed to correspond to the subject, verbs may be changed from singular to plural). For native English speakers, no changes to the words will be allowed.
3) Language usage: Texts should be correct (grammar, spelling, punctuation). Please make the text appropriate to the users of this site (remember they are of all ages!). You will receive a private message if your text has errors.
4) Texts: Entries may be surrealistic or “creative” but they must make sense logically!
5) Game end: Each game will finish on the date noted in red. Words for succeeding games will be chosen randomly from the texts of those who have participated in the current game.
6) Text: To make the words easier to find in the texts, please put the game words in blue.

Important!! Closing date for this game: Saturday, 6 PM in New Hampshire, USA
(Your first challenge...what time is it for you when it is 6 PM in New Hampshire? )

Your next challenge – to use these words (taken from the TWC #5 texts) in a text (sentence, SHORT story, poem):

Noun – diaries (from tilly)
Adjective – front (from icyy)
Verb – bringing (from welcome)

-------------------
Edited by jonquille on 08-08-2011 18:15

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from jonquille, posted on 08-08-2011 at 18:27:00 (D | E)
Hello everyone! This will be the last round of the Triple Word Challenge. Summer is nearly over, school will be starting soon, and I will not have as much time to spend on this. (I was going to say « work » instead of "spend," but it has not been work for me, it has been quite fun, in fact!)

I thank all of you for participating, and I hope the newest participants (icyy, welcome, tilly) will continue to participate in this last game...as well as in others on the site. I hope to revive this game on my next long vacation! Enjoy the rest of the summer. May it bring you enough sun and warmth to last throughout the winter!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from lucile83, posted on 08-08-2011 at 19:24:18 (D | E)
many thanks to you dear!
I have enjoyed this game and I'm sure we'll have the opportunity to meet in number 7 in some time.
Write to you soon, anyway, in number 6.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from ariane6, posted on 08-08-2011 at 20:14:41 (D | E)

Hello jonquille, lucile, and everybody !

This morning, as I was having a cup of tea in the front garden, with the intention of bringing my diaries up to date, under the fig tree... I heard a strange noise above my head...

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from welcome, posted on 08-08-2011 at 21:49:04 (D | E)
Hi jonquille
Thanks again for your job here and see you soon

Here is my try :

Honey! Why have our private video diaries been published on the Internet? Once again we will be splashed all over the front page! I definitely don't remember you ever bringing me any peace!
-------------------
Edited by welcome on 09-08-2011 00:37
Thank you jonquille

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from lakata, posted on 08-08-2011 at 22:45:59 (D | E)
Hello Jonquille, Welcome and co...

How dare you say you don't know what that noise is, Ariane???

So, just to put the readers in the picture:
Over several days, Ariane had been complaining about the fact that the blackbirds were eating all the delicious figs she had in her garden. Then, she suggested I come round and spend a couple of days at her place. Board and lodging included, she said, which sounded generous, adding my clothes didn't need bringing for what I was going to do. Hmmm?

But all that on one condition: I will have to stay at the top of the fig tree all day long, dressed as a scarecrow, whirling my front legs -or arms- round and round, and making the noise in question: "Rack! Rack! Rack!" (please, see TWC5).

Everything is true and written down in my diaries which may be consulted on request.
Now, you can imagine I need to go to bed to give my poor body a rest...
See you soon, I hope!

-------------------
Edited by lakata on 09-08-2011 10:43
Thank you dear Jonquille!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from hortensia, posted on 09-08-2011 at 08:44:31 (D | E)
Hello Iakata !
This is a request to consult your diaries, as kindly offered in your last post !
In exchange for that, I should be bringing a basket of figs, picked up this morning from the tree growing right in front of my kitchen window.
Have a glorious day !

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 09-08-2011 11:11
Words in blue please, not in upper cases

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from hortensia, posted on 09-08-2011 at 09:53:41 (D | E)
Hi Jonquille !
I came across this forum and this game only recently, but I enjoyed it a lot, and I want to say "Thank you" for your kind attention and presence !
Enjoy the rest of your vacation !
Hortensia.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from lakata, posted on 09-08-2011 at 10:38:24 (D | E)
Hello dear Jonquille!

Good morning, Hortensia!

Here are my diaries, just "help yourself"!

I must thank you for bringing this basket of figs despite the fact I'm not that wild about that fruit since I started working here...But nevertheless, it's nice of you. While I'm busy in "my" tree, please, be kind enough to put it down at the front gate.
If my day isn't going to be glorious , I sincerely hope yours will be!

-------------------
Edited by lakata on 09-08-2011 11:01
Thank you to Ariane who's tried to redeem herself by pointing out my mistake in "fruits"...I should have written it without s because I was speaking about one variety of fruit.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from hortensia, posted on 09-08-2011 at 11:03:04 (D | E)
"Thanks for allowing me to have a look at your diaries, Iakata !
Bringing the figs to you wasn't such a good idea after all, as I tripped over a big stone on my front door and ruined them all ! No big deal since you're not too crazy about this fruit ! "
(my apologies for the mistake in my previous post : I've just noticed Jonquille wanted the word "front" to be an adjective, and I used it as an adverb ! Sorry, but I probably wasn't well awake this morning when I wrote it !) Nice day to everybody !

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 09-08-2011 11:13
Colour of words

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from hortensia, posted on 09-08-2011 at 12:08:10 (D | E)
Sooo sorry Lucile ! Can't find a way to put the text in colour ! Silly me !
I'll post again when I've understood how to do it !

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from lucile83, posted on 09-08-2011 at 13:20:29 (D | E)
Hello jonquille

Here is my try:

Last month I found my grandmother’s diaries in the attic of her house. I decided to read them once I was back home.In the evening, after dinner, I sat down in a comfortable armchair in front of the fireplace, and fell asleep instead of reading the diaries.
I thought this was possibly a sign that I had no right to read them. Bringing some bags from the kitchen, I put the diaries inside them, hiding the whole of it in my house or in my front garden, who knows where! I will never tell anyone where they are.

Have a nice day
Thanks to jonquille I made my text a little longer

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from lakata, posted on 09-08-2011 at 13:30:13 (D | E)
Hi lucile !

If you have some difficulty with the colours,just ask ! md

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from lucile83, posted on 09-08-2011 at 13:47:58 (D | E)
Hi lakata!

I haven't finished yet ...watching TV at the same time

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 09-08-2011 13:53
It's OK now!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from aneth-estragon, posted on 09-08-2011 at 16:12:17 (D | E)
Hello !
A cowardly lion and a tin woodsman came down the yellow brick road towards Ariane's house. They were bringing a very special gift in a large basket, to someone called Lakata. (Did they mention a brain?...) Anyway, a third character who had been reading diaries with the name Dorothy on the front pages, borrowed the basket to pick up figs, and promised to make the delivery. I understand nothing of the whole story, but please tell Lakata to check carefully what's in the basket before cooking her fig jam!!

-------------------
Thanks a lot Jonquille! I myself had picked up a basketfull of hyphens and intended to make hyphen jam...

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from tilly, posted on 09-08-2011 at 18:44:30 (D | E)
What a shame i eventually found your game Jonquille just as it is about to stop....

Looks like you've had great fun bringing lots of people together, no doubt everyone will be putting this game into the front of their diaries for the next Jonquille vacation....

-------------------
Edited by tilly on 09-08-2011 18:46

-------------------
Edited by tilly on 10-08-2011 23:06

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from ariane6, posted on 09-08-2011 at 21:28:14 (D | E)
Hello everybody!

After that publicity on the Internet, orders of fig jam didn't stop coming in from every corner of the world.
Then, lakata Scarecrow and ariane Cowardly-lion decided to hire a big van, filled the tank up with petrol and travelled to Toulouse. Hortensia and Lou, very generous ladies, had prepared big baskets of beautiful juicy Toulouse figs and also a big cake ( fig-cake, of course)and fruit juice, from figs,too ... ...
After the pleasant garden party, they came back home, bringing their treasure as quickly as possible, because figs are a very fragile fruit. Obviously, they cooked the jam on the same day, then poured it into the jars and stuck nice coloured labels on the front side. They finished writing this long adventure in both their diaries...

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from jonquille, posted on 10-08-2011 at 00:09:07 (D | E)
Not to be left out of this continuing saga...

Poor lakata! I can hear her now...

Help!! Fig cakes and fig jam are overrunning my front doorstep! How many more will people be bringing? Just how many of you have been sharing your diaries??? How will I ever get out of this tree???

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from coletta, posted on 10-08-2011 at 10:03:12 (D | E)
Hello Jonquille, here is my little story!

"Dancing, I love dancing, Mom! Why do you not allowed me dancing in the ballet school? Mom, please ...!", said Leonie appealing.
"No, I said! That´s enough!", her mother replied angrily and turned back to her work.
Leonie´s grandmother stepped silently to her daughter beside the table and laid down her diaries.
"Lizzy", she said calming, "take a look at this! I`m sure they will bringing joy and beautiful memories".
Leonie looked over her mother´s shoulder while they opened one diary and sighed. (14)
A newspaper clipping showed a photo with a young ballerina, dancing in front of a wonderful scenery.
The headline: Accident onstage break up the dreams of a great career!
"Is that you, Mom?", Leonie asked surprised.

I send you all greetings from Germany
Coletta

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from lakata, posted on 10-08-2011 at 19:15:33 (D | E)
Hello Jonquille, Coletta and co!

The fig jam - final episode-

I will bring this story to an end when I will have confessed that I didn't take any part in the cooking of this from now on famous fig jam ***.
In fact, it is Ariane's own job, that she does brilliantly by the way . Besides, I was even given the push because of my lack of proficiency! The only thing I was allowed to do to give her a hand was licking the labels then sticking them onto the front sides of the pots, as she said, as if the pots had ones...You know, with no brain, no way to do anything very exciting -Hmmm! I'm speaking of myself, of course!-
By the way, the one I found at the bottom of the basket Dorothy was bringing for me was out of order. On the other hand, there was a broomstick which turned to be magic and is going to enable me to fly back home with a few pots of jam and...my diaries! For the price the petrol is...

***Now that Ariane has added a few hyphens to the jam, it tastes even better than ever. Just try!

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from newben, posted on 11-08-2011 at 05:53:39 (D | E)
Hello,everybody!
Here is my sentence:
In the beginning,I wrote the diary everyday after I knew my girl friend. because it was my first love.I was bringing me a lot of happiness.As time went on,my diaries increased continually.Now,we have married.I took my diary to my wife,and told her the story about diaries.Surprisingly,my wife had a notebook as well,and the first day in her diary was in front of my day.I was moved deeply.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from matou94, posted on 11-08-2011 at 16:26:20 (D | E)
Hello Lakata, Ariane, Jonquille, Lucile and ... all

Because you like sweet things, I am going to consult the diaries where my grandmother wrote down her recipes ; I am going to make you some "soft cakes with the fresh figs", bringing a particular care to this recipe, because I don't have her know-how.
When I'm done, I'll place the freshly-baked fig cakes in front of you !

Thank you Jonquille

-------------------
Edited by matou94 on 11-08-2011 20:08

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from ng, posted on 11-08-2011 at 17:15:03 (D | E)
Hello!

In front of my computer,reading all of these diaries,I’m bringing the house down!

everybody

Thanks a lot dear Jonquille

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from dolfine56, posted on 11-08-2011 at 18:03:41 (D | E)
Hello Jonquille and all,

Not long after after both my parents died,I found several diaries in the attic of their house.On the front page of the first one,there was a photo bringing meaning into my life.

Hi, Jonquille,
What a pity that number6 is the last one...
We understand very well you'll be busy and have no more time for us.
Thanks a lot for these six TWC, and see you later, when you have time.

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from violet91, posted on 12-08-2011 at 13:22:50 (D | E)

- Hello to this dear company ,

.....There was a man in Limerick who kept complaining about being a fig plucker ' s son . Did he mention something barbarian or Barbary's figs in Southern Ireland ? !! He even noted it down in his diaries , had it published on the front page of daily papers , therefore informed people all over the world about his misfortune !
I must say I heard that unfortunate father's job from one of my Irish friends... . who made me repeat the ' complaint '( of the unhappy son!) as many times and as fast as possible. He must have liked bringing folk jokes to the knowledge of the ' naive' French girl I was !

Your turn , now !

PS Thank you, American daffodil who seems not to know that famous sentence ! Your game has been entertaining and fruitful ...so far ! A pleasure ! Be brave on resuming school.See you..

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from jonquille, posted on 14-08-2011 at 03:45:30 (D | E)
There once were some speakers of English,
Bringing pens and ideas, they did flourish.
Their long diaries they shared,
Even the front page was not spared.
Let's hope this game will not perish!

The end of TWC #6 is now here,
And I'd like to make this perfectly clear.
I wish you all,
A wonderful fall*
And I'll see you again next year!

(or maybe sooner, with luck
If I don't get stuck,
amidst schedules that have gone amok!)

PS...Yes, violet, I do know that sentence...when first letters are switched... however, I never use the resulting phrase (rather the verb), it's not one of the "nicer" ones in the English language....

*fall = autumn

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from lakata, posted on 15-08-2011 at 16:01:56 (D | E)
Hello Jonquille!

I could have only cut and pasted Dolfine's post so she expresses so well my feelings, dear Jonquille...

Actually, you gave us not only the opportunity to work at our English, but, above all, some specific information to correct our essays. And all that in a joyful and friendly atmosphere of school playground!

If the game has alas come to an end, it doesn't sound the death knell for it, does it? As you say: "The game will not perish!".

So, I can't hide I'm eager for your next spare time, hoping you will be able to give us TWC 7!

Gratefully yours.

Poor lakata (as you can see in her photo . Yes! It's Lakata! Just look at her fig slippers! )

P.S. Please, Jonquille, don't forget to buy some lottery tickets regularly, in case it could enable you to retire earlier...

Re: Triple Word Challenge #6 from clairefr, posted on 18-08-2011 at 11:49:23 (D | E)
Hello,

I was on holiday, so I didn't challenge for the last two TWC but I would like to thank Jonquille very much for this exercise and for the time she spent helping us !

Jonquille

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux