Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Future (will-going to)

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Future (will-going to)
Message from vincent_90 posted on 17-03-2012 at 17:31:26 (D | E | F)
Hi everyone,

I'm having some (big!) troubles regarding the formation of future tenses.

Can someone please explain to me in which situations we use (will) and in which we use (going to)?
I don't understand the difference.

1. For instance: why can't (u)you say: "This is Mr. Black, he is going to teach you English."
(In my book, they say it should be: "he will be teaching you English.")

2. Also, why can't you say: "She plays tennis on Wednesday afternoon."
(in my book, they say it should be "she is playing tennis on Wednesday afternoon."

3. Thirdly: why can't (u)you say "It's probable that the measures are going to reduce congestion"
(while)whereas it has to be: "it's probable that the measures will reduce congestion."

Vincent_90

-------------------
Edited by willy on 17-03-2012 18:15

Re: Future (will-going to) from sherry48, posted on 17-03-2012 at 18:34:27 (D | E)
Hello vincent_90.
For question 2-- She plays tennis on Wednesday afternoon(s). This is clearly a habitual action, since it is present tense. She is playing tennis on Wednesday afternoon....Be + verb + ing can be either right now or the near future.
For will and be going to, the link below may be helpful.
Link

Have a nice weekend. Sherry

Re: Future (will-going to) from vincent_90, posted on 17-03-2012 at 20:15:18 (D | E)
Thanks for the quick answer, Sherry48.

How about the following sentences? Which one is correct?
* The president arrives in London on Monday.
* The president will arrive in London on Monday.
* The president will be arriving in London on Monday.
* The president is going to arrive in London on Monday.

Re: Future (will-going to) from sherry48, posted on 17-03-2012 at 21:04:29 (D | E)
Hello again vincent_90.
Since it is something that has already been planned, there seems to be one answer that is better than the others. What do you suggest ? Sherry

Re: Future (will-going to) from vincent_90, posted on 17-03-2012 at 21:05:47 (D | E)
I would say: 'The president will arive in London on Monday' ...

Re: Future (will-going to) from hyanice, posted on 17-03-2012 at 23:29:30 (D | E)

the Will and BE GOING TO futures are the most common constructions but there is a slight difference. the WILL FUTURE is used for actions which are to be taken without prior thought (e.g don't bother about the telephone, Kembo will answer it) whereas the BE GOING TO FUTURE is used for future planned actions ( e.g Kembo is going to leave Mouila next week)

thus, as regards your sentences, I think ' the president is going to arrive in London on Monday' is the correct one

-------------------
Edited by willy on 18-03-2012 08:00

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux