Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Phrasal verbs/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Phrasal verbs/help
Message from a_limon posted on 20-05-2012 at 20:46:51 (D | E | F)
Hi!
Tell me please if the verb give off is an inseparable verb. The flower gives off nice smell.
Where could I look for find out whether the verb is inseparable.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 20-05-2012 21:32

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from a_limon, posted on 20-05-2012 at 20:49:47 (D | E)
forgot to say: Thank you in advance.

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from lucile83, posted on 20-05-2012 at 21:31:56 (D | E)
Hello,

Please use a dictionary as I told you already!
number 3
Link

give off something phrasal verb
to produce a smell, light, heat, a sound etc: The wood gave off a sweet, perfumed smell as it burned.

You should search by yourself too...here is a list of inseparable phrasal verbs:
Link

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from gerondif, posted on 20-05-2012 at 21:36:44 (D | E)
Hello,

Yes it is.
The flower // gives off // a nice smell.

Why ?

because the complement is an object:
The flower: subject.
gives off: verb
a nice smell: object.
off (an adverbial particle) transforms the verb give (offer) into another verb meaning to emit, to exhale.

The link provided by Lucile separates the separable phrasal verbs from the inseparable phrasal verbs.

By the way, note the constructions of the separable verbs:

Put on your coat !
Put your coat on!
Put it on ! (it has to go before on, "Put on it!" would be wrong )

Take off your coat !
Take your coat off!
Take it off! (it has to go before off)

They drove off the assailants.
They drove them off! (same thing)

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from vectrum, posted on 20-05-2012 at 21:56:12 (D | E)
Hello,

xxxx
-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 20-05-2012 22:03
Please don't copy a grammar book; that's forbidden unless you write a short passage in inverted commas, thank you.

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from a_limon, posted on 21-05-2012 at 00:05:02 (D | E)
You mean that "give off" is a separable phrasal verb? One could say "The wood gave a sweet smell OFF as it burned." (separable not only by pronouns). I have looked on the link. I know that preposition verbs is inseparable even with pronouns.
(I look for it. not I look it for.) I would like to know about the phrasal verbs that is inseparable only with nouns.

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from gerondif, posted on 21-05-2012 at 14:01:28 (D | E)
Hello,
no, give off seems inseparable to me.

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from lucile83, posted on 21-05-2012 at 19:09:51 (D | E)
Hello a_limon,

Please understand what you read; 'give off' is an inseparable phrasal verb.
"The wood gave a sweet smell OFF as it burned." is incorrect.

You write:
I would like to know about the phrasal verbs that is are inseparable only with nouns.
sorry but I don't understand what you mean. A phrasal verb is built with a postposition or particle, not with a noun!

If you want to know more about phrasal verbs you can look up in a dictionary, or on the internet or type modal verbs in the search engine of this site on the top of each page.
We can't rewrite the lessons.

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from willy, posted on 21-05-2012 at 20:05:14 (D | E)
Hello!
Here are a few hints:
Link

Link

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from a_limon, posted on 22-05-2012 at 00:01:05 (D | E)
Hello! Lucile,thank you for links to refresh my knowledge a little bit. I never thought that the phrasal verb is some combination with noun (pronoun.I just mentioned them becaure they most often acts as direct objects of phrasal transitive verbs.
I asked about "to give off" only because I couldn't find this verb in the list of inseparable verbs. It seems that it is rare enough. My last question about it is:"Is it necessary to put pronouns (it, he,them, me..) between the verb and the particle of the inseparable trabsitive verb?" (I know that nouns must be put only after the particle in this case) For example.--->What sweet smell! -Yes! This flower gives it off.
KEEP OFF
(inseparable) to not consume
Scott is having a difficult time keeping off drugs. But he knows it is necessary to keep them off.
I hope you understand me.

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from dangkhoa, posted on 22-05-2012 at 10:10:17 (D | E)
Hello,

I'm learning English. I've studied the formation of the phrasal verbs.
When any verb is formed with an adverb particle, the object noun (or pronouns that are not personal pronouns) has three positions:
1) If the code of the phrasal verb is 'vpn.pass' - that's written in dict, of phrasal verb -, the object noun or other pronouns must be after the particle as in to give up, you ought to write " I 'll give up cigarettes".
2) If the code 'vnp',as in to see off, write " I'll see my relative off at the station."
3) If the code vn=p, you can put the object noun before or after the particle, as in to put on. However when the object is a personal pronoun (me/you/him/her/it/us/you/them), you must put one of them between the verb and the particle: give them up, see him off, put it on.
I hope this may help you.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 22-05-2012 11:43

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from a_limon, posted on 22-05-2012 at 13:09:02 (D | E)
Hello.
dangkhoa, sorry, but I couldn't understand what you have written. I don't know your "vnp=" "pass" and so on.

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from a_limon, posted on 22-05-2012 at 13:14:18 (D | E)
Hello! It is still not clear to me whether "off" in "give off" is adverbial particle or prepositional one.
I think if it was adverb particle you could write "give it off".

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from a_limon, posted on 22-05-2012 at 13:17:03 (D | E)
KEEP OFF
(inseparable) to not consume
Scott is having a difficult time keeping off drugs. But he knows it is necessary to keep them off. Is it right to put pronoun "them" between inseparable phrasal verb "keep off"?
I hope you understand me.

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from willy, posted on 22-05-2012 at 15:27:57 (D | E)
Hello!

Examples (from my link above!):
I looked the number up in the phone book.
I looked up the number in the phone book.
I looked it up in the phone book. correct
I looked up it in the phone book. incorrect

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from a_limon, posted on 22-05-2012 at 15:53:26 (D | E)
Hello, willy, it seems that you not quite anderstand me. That is why I still have problem with my question.
I don't ask about writing transitive phrasal verbs with pronouns, which might be written with nouns both ways. (I know they might be separable or not with nouns. "Write as you want" (except pronouns)) I interested in verbs, like "keep off","give off". They are striktly inseparable with nouns<, but with pronouns they must be separable. Look my example above!

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from bluestar, posted on 22-05-2012 at 16:15:06 (D | E)
Hello,

In the example you give, you cannot write "But he knows it is necessary to keep them off".
You must not split up "keep" and "off" in this way - it is nonsense. You must write instead:
"But he knows it is necessary to keep off them"

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from a_limon, posted on 22-05-2012 at 18:37:53 (D | E)
Hello,bluestar!
OK, now I get it with the phrasal verb "keep off" "But he knows it is necessary to keep off them"
In this case we have dealt with the phrasal verb "keep off" that some grammar books call a prepositional verb . (off is a prepositional particle here like "for" in the phrasal verb "look for")
Ok, could one say the same about "give off"? I have met the phrase "to give it off". It means we have dealt with a phrasal verb, the particle of which is an adverb.
Could you point me the phrasal verbs more with the same property? ???

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 22-05-2012 18:46

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from bluestar, posted on 22-05-2012 at 18:54:50 (D | E)
Hello,

I would say, as others have already said on this topic, that "give off" is an inseparable phrasal verb..I'd like to know the context in which "give it off" appeared?

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from a_limon, posted on 22-05-2012 at 19:27:34 (D | E)
Hello!
bluestar, if you take a look at Link
you see "give it off" in the part "Particle verbs".
Also, it might be seen in Link

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from bluestar, posted on 22-05-2012 at 21:51:35 (D | E)
Hello,

The link you gave me, in discussing phrasal verbs, says that "the difference between preposition and adverb is very vague in English.....and the so-called adverb is a prepositional phrase in its own right" ..For this reason it is probably not a good idea to try to be definitive about this subject. You asked me, I think, for some more examples of inseparable phrasal verbs...

Here are two : "to look after" in the sense of "to take care of"
One can write "I looked after his children" but not "I looked his children after"

"To look forward to" in the sense of "to anticipate with pleasure"

I can say "I look forward to Christmas" but not "I look to Christmas forward"..

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from a_limon, posted on 23-05-2012 at 00:04:54 (D | E)
Hello,

sorry, but I don't understand this at all"...adverb is a prepositional phrase in its own right".
The adverb is the adverb. The preposition is the preposition. The preposition phrase might be adverbial, but not the adverb, the part of speech. The examples you give I know. I have no questions about them. ("look for" is exact the preposition verb, that takes objects(nouns,pronouns)after particle (preposition)"for") It's so clear as 2*2=4.
What do you think about "give off"? If "off" were preposition, then a noun or a pronoun would follow this preposition in the case "give it off". But nothing follows. It's the adverb. I don't know other phrasal verb like this one.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 23-05-2012 08:44

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from bluestar, posted on 23-05-2012 at 01:56:54 (D | E)
Hello

The rule is when the phrasal verb has a pronoun as object, the adverb comes after the pronoun:

"My friend was angry because I woke him up"

"I set the alarm and then switched it off"

Re: Phrasal verbs/help from lucile83, posted on 23-05-2012 at 09:24:58 (D | E)
Hello,

The verb 'give off' is a phrasal verb/transitive verb and it has its own meaning.
It is a synonym of emit/produce/let out when speaking of heat or gaz or smell, that's all.
Link

Ammonia is continually produced in the environment either directly by organisms which give it off (some fish for instance) or indirectly through the breakdown of proteins excreted by these organisms.
here give it off means emit

Apparatus for the removal of dental lesions, especially a pastille, with a plurality of substances, characterized in that the substances are arranged on different shells (1 to 4), which create, in cyclic alternation, an acidic and alcaline pH value in the mouth cavity or give it off to the saliva.
here give it off means provide

The only pronoun you can use between give and off is 'it' or 'them' but I didn't find any example about 'them'.
You have to use that verb in a quite restricted meaning.
Anyway the word 'off' is an adverb which modifies the verb 'give' in that specific use.

You have to know that verb and how to use it, nothing more,which would be useless.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux