Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Of or For/order

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Of or For/order
Message from a_limon posted on 06-06-2012 at 14:44:01 (D | E | F)
Hello!

One question more came to me in process of learning English. I look to your help again.
Which preposition, "of" or "for" must follow first in the sentences?

1)I built this house for you of wood.(wrong)
2)He often told the fairy tale for his little children of The Snow Queen. (wrong)

I think that these sentences are incorrect.We must write
1)I built this house of wood for you.
2)He often told the fairy tale of The Snow Queen for his little children

But on the other hand, one could write;"He often told the fairy tale for the children of "The Snow Queen." (I mean "The Snow Queen" is the name of the group) Also, as I think, we could write:"I made this toy for you, of wood.",if only we use comma after the prepositional complement "for the children".
I hope you'll help me to clear this question.
Thank you in advance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 06-06-2012 17:50
Title and layout.

Re: Of or For/order from gerondif, posted on 06-06-2012 at 14:57:22 (D | E)
Hello,

I sometimes have the feeling you put English sentences in a washing machine !!

The natural way to express these ideas would be:
1) I built this wooden house for you.I built this house out of wood for you.

2) He often told the "Snow Queen" fairy Tale to his children.
He often told his children the Snow Queen fairy Tale.

Otherwise, Yes, of would come first and for would come last.

"I made this toy for you, out of wood." is possible, if you had forgotten first to tell him it was out of wood.

Re: Of or For/order from a_limon, posted on 06-06-2012 at 15:44:26 (D | E)
Hi,gerondif!
I sometimes have the feeling you put English sentences in a washing machine !! ha,ha!
Tell me please,whether we must use the particle "out" when the verb is in a passive voice.
This house is built (made) of wood.(in contrast of the verb in active voice."They built this house out of wood")
He often told the "Snow Queen" fairy Tale to his children.
He often told his children the Snow Queen fairy Tale.
Tell me please why saying "fairy Tale of (or maybe,"about")the Snow Queen" seems not usual. It is not modern way to say?

Re: Of or For/order from gerondif, posted on 06-06-2012 at 18:04:54 (D | E)
Hello,
in the dictionary on line :
The model airplane was made out of balsa wood.

of sounds bizarre, it doesn't "belong to"
"called" would be better

He often read the fairy tale called/ entitled/ "Snow Queen" to his children.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux