Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Different uses/Take

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Different uses/Take
Message from san99 posted on 17-06-2012 at 20:07:51 (D | E | F)
Hello,

How do you use 'take' in your sentences?
I would like you to write your sentences with the verb “ Take”, and help me to understand how it can be used in common sentences. I am writing a few sentences.
Could you please read them and select the incorrect ones.
Thank you for being very helpful to me.

1- Take your umbrella before you step out, it’s raining outside.
2- Take it easy! You can do it, believe me.
3- Don’t take tension; I know your problem will be solved.
4- He takes after his mother.
5- Take best care of yourself for me.
6- How much for this jacket? It’s $900, sir (the seller). Me: Oh, it’s too expensive for me. If you take it down to $730 I will buy it.
7- Don’t you dare take me for granted, I can do much more than you have ever thought.
8- Take me to the City Plaza ( I am talking to a taxi driver).
9- Take your shirt off, it’s untidy I need to wash it two times. You’ve been so much careless and I am the one who always have to wash dirty clothes.
10- It’s taking too much time, could you please fix the car within one hour I’ve been waiting for two hours and I am kind of tired now.
11- Take your documents from the desk and get out of my face (or get off of my face???)
12- Don’t take me light, you don’t know how much strength I have.
13- Where is the national park? Go straight to this road until you reach the “Maymio Restaurant”, and then take a right turn to reach the park.
14- Can I take your pen? I can’t find mine, it’s lost somewhere.
15- The technology has taken over our lifestyle. Or John Cena has taken over Christian.
16- The plane had taken off. Her popularity is taking off day by day.
17- Take me down to the earth, I am feeling bore in the Venus, there is no disco to dance in. 
18- He decided to take me in the group. He decided that he would take me on the team.
19- There is a give for every take.
20- I am feeling very tired Suzy. Ok, Sara, you can take a short break now.
21- This is very risky to invest money in this project. Don’t take a chance or you will lose your money.
22- Take a seat please.
23- I have taken a note of everything you have just said.
24- Hey, Molly, Could you please take a photograph of me and Johnny?
25- I am not going to take responsibility for it.
26- I have taken several exercise of English grammar.
27- Take this into account when you make your decision.
28- Take your steps wisely or you will have to face the loss.
29- Your harsh words have taken me apart into several pieces.
30- I have taken up a new home in Alaska.
31- Don’t take your hands out of the gloves.
32- Take me up high in the sky.
33- Have you taken your breakfast?

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 17-06-2012 21:55
Colour

Re: Different uses/Take from san99, posted on 18-06-2012 at 22:11:39 (D | E)
Could anybody please check my sentences.

Re: Different uses/Take from gerondif, posted on 18-06-2012 at 23:27:10 (D | E)
Hello,
your exercise looks like a dictionary article we would have to correct.

I mean , if I double click on "take" and read the article down to the last line, I will find all the meanings and patterns you illustrate. You could have learnt all these different patterns and meanings of the verb with the examples from the dictionary .

After all, you could do the checking yourself. If I have to check every sentence against the dictionary article, it will take very long and it will be rather boring, maybe that's why no one is rushing to correct it.

1- Take your umbrella before you step out, it’s raining outside.
2- Take it easy! You can do it, believe me.
3- Don’t take tension(never seen that one); I know your problem will be solved.
4- He takes after his mother.
5- Take best(best or better ?) care of yourself for me.
6- How much for this jacket? It’s $900, sir (the seller). Me: Oh, it’s too expensive for me. If you take(bring) it down to $730 I will buy it.
7- Don’t you dare take me for granted, I can do much more than you have ever thought.
8- Take me to the City Plaza ( I am talking to a taxi driver).
9- Take your shirt off, it’s untidy(dirty) I need to wash it two times(twice). You’ve been so much careless and I am the one(3rd person) who always have to wash dirty clothes.
10- It’s taking too much time, could you please fix the car within one hour I’ve been waiting for two hours and I am kind of tired now.
11- Take your documents from the desk and get out of my face (or get off of my face???)
12- Don’t take me lightly, you don’t know how much strength I have.
13- Where is the national park? Go straight to this road until you reach the “Maymio Restaurant”, and then take a right turn to reach the park.
14- Can I take your pen? I can’t find mine, it’s lost somewhere.
15- The technology has taken over our lifestyle. Or John Cena has taken over Christian.
16- The plane had taken off. Her popularity is taking off day by day.
17- Take me down to the earth, I am feeling bored on Venus, there is no disco to dance in. 
18- He decided to take me in the group. He decided that he would take me on the team.
19- There is a give for every take.
20- I am feeling very tired Suzy. Ok, Sara, you can take a short break now.
21- This is very risky to invest money in this project. Don’t take a chance or you will lose your money.
22- Take a seat please.
23- I have taken a note of everything you have just said.
24- Hey, Molly, Could you please take a photograph of me and Johnny?
25- I am not going to take responsibility for it.
26- I have taken several exercises of(on, about) English grammar.
27- Take this into account when you make your decision.
28- Take your steps wisely or you will have to face the loss.
29- Your harsh words have taken(broken? torn?) me apart into (several) pieces.
30- I have taken up a new home in Alaska.
31- Don’t take your hands out of the(your) gloves.
32- Take me up high in the sky.
33- Have you taken(had) your breakfast?

I just corrected the surface mistakes, I didn't read all the "take" patterns in the dictionary, I suppose you did and illustrated them.

Re: Different uses/Take from san99, posted on 18-06-2012 at 23:44:22 (D | E)
Don't take tension, this sentence is very common in my country
Yes, it's take best care of yourself for me. Not better..

Re: Different uses/Take from gerondif, posted on 18-06-2012 at 23:54:08 (D | E)
Hello,

take best care of yourself for me. What does it mean ?
I understand: Take care ! Take good care of her. You should take better care of your car.
But : Take best care of yourself for me? why for me ?

Take care the best you can!
Take care of yourself the best you can.

Re: Different uses/Take from notrepere, posted on 19-06-2012 at 00:09:14 (D | E)
Hello

No one says "take tension" in English.
No one says "take best care" in English. Perhaps you're thinking of the expression "Take good care of yourself".

15- The technology has taken over our lifestylelives. Or John Cena has taken over Christian. (Or over taken?)
28- Take your steps wisely or you will have to face the loss. (What loss?)
29- Your harsh words have taken(broken? torn?) me apart into (several) pieces. I would say "shattered me to pieces"

Re: Different uses/Take from san99, posted on 19-06-2012 at 02:23:05 (D | E)
Thanks for clearing it. Can I use take good care of yourself??? Take care of yourself for me??

Re: Different uses/Take from san99, posted on 19-06-2012 at 02:26:24 (D | E)
It was a general sentence... Going outside at this time is very risky for you. Take your steps wisely otherwise you will have to face the consequences.
Yes, I guess I should not use word take in the last sentence. Your harsh words have torn me apart or broke my heart sounds fine, right?
Thank you for reading these sentences.

Re: Different uses/Take from may, posted on 19-06-2012 at 03:05:39 (D | E)
Hi,

Yes, you can say "Take good care of yourself" or "Look after yourself" (I think "for me" is unnecessary because it seems to be understood!)

Also, I'd say "My heart has been broken because of your harsh words". Well, It's not like "...Killing me softly with his words..."

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux