Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

In-on-at the table/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

In-on-at the table/help
Message from yam posted on 06-09-2012 at 16:06:22 (D | E | F)
Hello,

Could you help me please as
I'm having trouble with the differences between in the table, on the table and at the table.
Thanks for your help!

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 06-09-2012 19:24

Re: In-on-at the table/help from bluestar, posted on 06-09-2012 at 16:22:29 (D | E)
Hello,

Here are a few examples that may clarify it:
There are some scratches in the table.
The food is on the table.
We are sitting at the table.

Re: In-on-at the table/help from lupon, posted on 07-09-2012 at 08:35:48 (D | E)
Hello,

in means sth something inside of it
on means sth something on the surface of it
at means sth something near it, just close to it.
may it this will be helpful.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 07-09-2012 09:16

Re: In-on-at the table/help from gerondif, posted on 09-09-2012 at 18:31:27 (D | E)
Hello,

on usually means "on the surface of": The cat is on the table.

in means inside : "The ball is in the bag"

in is sometimes the short form of into, it means you were outside and you are going inside:
Come in / Come into the classroom.

The difference between in and at would be for me that "in" simply means inside whereas "at" means that you are somewhere to do something specific:

I am in the garden. ok, I just say where I am.

I am at school, (to work)
I am at the supermarket (to buy some food)
I am at the restaurant (to have lunch)

If a door is left open and a dog goes into the school, you will say:

There is a dog in the school.
You won't say:
"There is a dog at school" The dog hasn't put on his glasses and he is not reading a text !!

I am at home (to do what I please).

The burglar was in my home when the police caught him. (I couldn't say at home here)

Re: In-on-at the table/help from rahul999, posted on 14-09-2012 at 08:41:35 (D | E)
Hello,

your question is being included a mistake i.e. use between when you want to know differences in two,use among when it comes to three;(I stated it for your wellness).
Coming to your query,
-on the table=surface of it
example, cat is sitting ON the table.
-in the table kitchen=according to something in the table kitchen
example, all family members are getting lunch IN the table kitchen
-at the table= surrounding the table
example, he is standing AT the table

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 14-09-2012 12:18
You can't have lunch in the table

Re: In-on-at the table/help from nveras, posted on 14-09-2012 at 13:19:50 (D | E)
Hello rahul999.
I'm so sorry but I really didn't understand what you mean with this phrase.
"your question is being included a mistake i.e. use between when you want to know differences in two,use among when it comes to three;"
Could you please explain in other words?

Re: In-on-at the table/help from lucile83, posted on 14-09-2012 at 13:57:26 (D | E)
Hello nveras

In correct English it should be written:
Your question includes a mistake as 'between' is used when we talk about 2 things or people, otherwise we have to use 'among' for more than 2 things or people.

Re: In-on-at the table/help from nveras, posted on 14-09-2012 at 15:18:44 (D | E)
Hello Lucile.

Thanks for your help. I was worried about my English, but now everything is clear. I found very strange the use of a passive voice instead of the present tense. Have a nice day.

Re: In-on-at the table/help from nguyenthanhtrai, posted on 26-09-2012 at 05:57:28 (D | E)
Hello,

Here are a few two examples that may clarify it:
- the banana is on the table.
- We are sitting at the table

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 26-09-2012 08:10

Re: In-on-at the table/help from coldmoon, posted on 28-09-2012 at 15:52:28 (D | E)
Hello,
It is on the table , but we can say in the box , and at is used most of the time for places.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux