Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Have started/started

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Have started/started
Message from florence79 posted on 09-09-2012 at 17:29:08 (D | E | F)
Hello,

I have a question please:
"I started to teach English in 1969."
could you tell why " started" is used instead of " have started"? because suppose I still do.
I didn't understand...
Thank you for your answers.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 09-09-2012 18:20

Re: Have started/started from komiks, posted on 09-09-2012 at 17:47:02 (D | E)
Hello,
When you say : "I started teaching English in 1969." the action is finished and dated so you have to use the simple past.
On the other hand, if you say : "I have taught English since 1969", you're still teaching English. So, you have to use the present perfect. Moreover, "since" is often used with the present perfect.
Hope it helps

Re: Have started/started from gerondif, posted on 09-09-2012 at 18:19:59 (D | E)
Hello,

"I started teaching English in 1969" (the year of her first lesson as a teacher, says Lucile below)
She started only once, after that, she taught !
(You normally use a preterite when the action is situated in the past with a date)

"I have been teaching English since 1969, for 43 years now, and I still do !"
(You normally use a present perfect (continuous) with for and since)
Normally, when you pin an action in the past with a date, you must use the preterite.
I saw that film last year, in 2011.

If you imply that a past action has present consequences, you will use a present perfect:
I have already seen that film, so I won't go and see it again with you tonight! Sorry !!

Your question seems to be: Which tense do I use if I want to insist on the present consequence of a past action with a date, in other words, can I say: "I have seen this film in 2011, so I won't go and see it again with you tonight".
Well.....normally, no!! You should stick to the rules and say:
I have already seen that film. I saw it last year, so I won't go and see it with you tonight.

It would be the same problem if you wanted to use in the same sentence "already" and "in 2011" or " last year".
Would it be then ?
a) I have already seen that film in 2011, so I don't want to go and see it again tonight .
or
b)I already saw that film in 2011, so I don't want to go and see it again tonight.

b) would be the grammatically correct answer, but you might hear a) if people consider that "already" is more important than "in 2011".

To go back to your original question, "I have started" would be used like this:
Hello, come in! Come and help me with my maths! I arrived ten minutes ago and I have already started exercise one.

I hope I haven't confused you even more !!

Re: Have started/started from lucile83, posted on 09-09-2012 at 18:33:48 (D | E)
Hello,

As I know this sentence comes from a test of mine, I can tell you my first lessons took place in 1969 as a teacher
The action is dated and finished (I am retired )
I started teaching English in 1969, I taught English until 2007 the year when I got retired.I don't teach English anymore but I have been practising English so far.
Hope it is clear

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux