Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Which function/adjective (1)

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only || Bottom

This topic is now closed. You can't post a new reply.

Which function/adjective
Message from kolokolchik posted on 06-11-2012 at 16:02:14
Hi!
Using "being" in relative clauses, one stresses the simple past continious tense. (The bridge that was being destroyed in tsunami was built by the workers from the wood, five years ago.)"being destroyed" is the part of the verb "destroyed" in passive continious tense.
But when one uses just one word "destroyed" (The bridge destroyed in tsunami..) is "destroyed" concidered to be the adjective? (was destroyed in tsunami, the destroyed bridge)
Also, as far as I know, the present participle phrase could act like the adverbial and the adjectival phrase. (depending on the context)
Do you know whether the perfect participle phrase (having done something, having read the book) could act the same way? (the participle "having" givs this feeling). Or it is only the adverbial phrase?

-------------------
Edited by kolokolchik on 06-11-2012 16:09
If my question is not clear I reask it," Could you tell me please whether the perfect paticiple and past participle phrases have the same functions in the sentences? They also act adverbially and adjectivelly, depending on the context?
Thanks.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 06-11-2012 19:05
- too many mistakes, I can't correct them
- always the same questions
- too much lack of personal work

Re: Which function/adjective by notrepere, posted on 06-11-2012 at 18:56:23
Hello again

I think you need to worry less about the function of the words in the sentence and more about proper grammar.
If you say:
The bridge, destroyed in the tsunami, was built from wood five years ago.
"destroyed in the tsunami" is a participle phrase which functions as an adjective in the sentence.

Re: Which function/adjective by lucile83, posted on 06-11-2012 at 19:04:46
Hello,

You are used to asking amazing questions about grammar! you should learn instead.
The bridge, destroyed in the tsunami, was built from wood five years ago....np has answered
The was destroyed ... = passive form with to be in past simple + the past participle of destroy.

It seems you haven't improved your English since last summer!