Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

A-an or the/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

A-an or the/help
Message from abido12 posted on 19-03-2013 at 23:24:02 (D | E | F)
Hello.
I would so grateful if yoou help me with this exercise;

fill in the blanks with a-an or the when necessary?
a-we live in..... old house in...... centre of..... town.There is.... primary school near.... house.
b-water is vital for.... life.
answer
a-we live in..an... old house in..... centre of...the.. town.There is..a.. primary school near.the... house.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 20-03-2013 06:33

Re: A-an or the/help from gerondif, posted on 19-03-2013 at 23:27:50 (D | E)
Hello,
a-we live in..an... old house in..... centre of...the.. town.There is..a.. primary school near.the... house.

Re: A-an or the/help from abido12, posted on 19-03-2013 at 23:51:35 (D | E)
Dear gerondif,

Is it correct to use "the" before centre and town?thanks a lot

Re: A-an or the/help from gerondif, posted on 19-03-2013 at 23:56:30 (D | E)
Hello,
I coloured what was wrong but you repost the same text. Change something !
Normally, when a word is followed by "of", it is precise, and we use "the":
The end of the film, the center of the room, the handle of the door, the colour of the car.
Town is specific: I live in * town.

Re: A-an or the/help from abido12, posted on 20-03-2013 at 00:30:06 (D | E)
hello,
so the right answer is
a-we live in..an... old house in..the... centre of...the.. town.There is..a.. primary school near.the... house.

thanks

Re: A-an or the/help from ben02, posted on 20-03-2013 at 08:34:00 (D | E)
Hi abido12,

This is my answer to your questions.
a-we live in..an...old house in...the.. entre of...the.. own. There is..a.. rimary school near..the...house.
b-water is vital for. the...life.

Re: A-an or the/help from gerondif, posted on 20-03-2013 at 10:05:18 (D | E)
Hello, ben02

This is my answer to your questions.
a-we live in..an...old house in...the.. centre of...the.. town. There is..a.. primary school near..the...house.
b-water is vital for. the...life.

Re: A-an or the/help from traviskidd, posted on 20-03-2013 at 20:53:28 (D | E)
Hello. Just one comment about "town":

It isn't wrong to say "the town", but the expressions "in town" and "of town" are used to convey notions that don't really depend on which town. If someone says that he lives "in town" or "in the center of town", you understand the significance of that even without knowing which town.

If you don't have much money, you probably live on the "poor side of town": Link

Note that this only applies to the word "town", which in this case includes cities, villages, etc.

See you.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux