Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Go into/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Go into/help
Message from bank posted on 13-05-2013 at 23:44:07 (D | E | F)
Hello, everybody!

Could you help me please with my question?
I'm not sure if one could use "go into" when one wants to say that someone changes their location and goes inside a house. I know that "into" is used after "go" idiomatically. (go into action, go forth into the night, go into debt)
But I'm not sure if it is OK to say, "He went into the room" or "He went into the house" where "into" is used in physical meaning.
I hope you get me.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 14-05-2013 05:40

Re: Go into/help from traviskidd, posted on 14-05-2013 at 02:54:15 (D | E)
Hello.

Technically, "into" should be used with verbs of motion, but "in" is common as well.

See you.

Re: Go into/help from bank, posted on 24-05-2013 at 15:33:12 (D | E)
Hello,
Thank you for reply.
I think the verb "walk" is a verb of motion, so if one says,"I walked on the roof/road/", "Walk in the room", could "on"/"in" mean "onto"/"into" here? (Like "Steep in/into the room" "I steped on/onto the roof/road")

Re: Go into/help from hushpuppy, posted on 24-05-2013 at 15:55:21 (D | E)
Hello
The difference is to describe the motion of an action versus the action :
"He went into the house" because it describes a person going from the outside to the inside.
"He walked on the road (and not in the grass)." versus "He walked onto the road (from the sidewalk)."
Hope this helps

Re: Go into/help from bank, posted on 09-06-2013 at 13:33:48 (D | E)
But I know what "onto" means.
I ask about "He walked on the the road" could mean "He walked onto the road" like "on" means "onto" after "jump" or "go".
He went on the road="He went onto the road"
"Cat jumped on the roof"="Cat jumped onto/upon the roof"
Could "He walked on the road"="He walked onto the road"?
Could "He stepped on the road"="He stepped onto the road"?

Re: Go into/help from hushpuppy, posted on 10-06-2013 at 21:33:28 (D | E)
Hello
There is "acceptable" and "more correct". We typically use on for the action of being on something, and onto for the action of moving from something onto something else, mostly to avoid confusion.
For instance, with the sentence "The fox jumped on the trampoline.", this could mean :
"The fox jumped up and down on the trampoline." Link

or :
"The fox jumped from the ground onto the trampoline."

Is this more clear now ?

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux