Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Mary like May/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Mary like May/help
Message from sabrina1011 posted on 28-06-2013 at 11:25:47 (D | E | F)
Hello,

Can I say the following sentences please?
1. I am happy I don't have work every day like he does. Is the meaning that I am happy I don't have work every day,but he does a lot of works every day.
2. Was Mary like May? Can I say that to describe Mary is like May in the past?
Thank you.
Sabrina

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 28-06-2013 12:35

Re: Mary like May/help from hushpuppy, posted on 28-06-2013 at 17:15:22 (D | E)
Good morning,

1. "I am happy I don't have work every day like he does." This means that you are happy not to work every day, and that he does work every day. It doesn't refer to a specific amount of work, so we wouldn't assume it was a heavy work load, only that he goes to work every day.
2. "Was Mary like May?" You can't ask the question to describe Mary, you would need to use a statement, "Mary was like May.". Otherwise, you are asking if one would describe the two as similar.
P1: Did you know Mary?
P2: No, I didn't.
P1: She was May's friend.
P2: Oh, I knew May, was Mary like May?
P1: Yes, she was a lot like May.

Have a great day !

-------------------
Edited by hushpuppy on 28-06-2013 20:56
For #1, gerondif has given you examples of what happens when we change the noun of "work" to the verb of "to work". In changing this, the phrase takes on two different meanings, so I would be aware of the significant change in meaning.

Re: Mary like May/help from gerondif, posted on 28-06-2013 at 17:52:39 (D | E)
Hello,
1. I am happy I don't have to work every day as he does // like him.
I am happy I don't have as much work to do as him every day.
I am happy not to work as much as him everyday //as much as he does everyday.

2. Was Mary like May? is a question, like "Did Mary look like May when she was young?" (Physical point of view)
Was Mary like May when she was young ? (from a physical or mental point of view )
Yes, she was tall and athletic but also moody and impulsive...

Re: Mary like May/help from sabrina1011, posted on 29-06-2013 at 17:31:17 (D | E)
thank you all.
Sabrina

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux