Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Home vs house/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Home vs house/help
Message from passenger75 posted on 30-08-2013 at 11:16:56 (D | E | F)
Hello all,

Never have I been able to cope with understanding the difference between HOME and HOUSE.
I'll be appreciative of your help.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 30-08-2013 14:53

Re: Home vs house/help from komiks, posted on 30-08-2013 at 12:38:32 (D | E)
Hello passenger,
This link may help you to understand the difference : Link

- HOUSE refers to the building. That house is the biggest one in the district
- HOME is abstract : it refers to the place, to the space. -Where are you going ? -I'm going back home
There are a lot of pages on the Internet that can help you : Link

I hope my explanations are clear and help you to understand.
Have a nice day

Re: Home vs house/help from bluestar, posted on 30-08-2013 at 12:52:36 (D | E)
Hello,

There is an expression in English: "Home is where the heart is".
Generally speaking, your home is the seat of your family attachments, and your house is just where you happen to live.

Re: Home vs house/help from gerondif, posted on 30-08-2013 at 18:54:18 (D | E)
Hello,

would you make a difference between: "I am at home " and " There is a burglar in my house" ?
Home is where you live, where you put up people and feed them around the fireplace, a house is just a building with walls and a roof.
Home is a social word, house a technical word.
"I am at home" and you can be wherever you like, the garden, the garage, the attic... you are at the place where you and your family live.
"I am in the house": You are inside the building, maybe not yours.
An interesting expression: "The drinks are on the house" means that the pub owner, the landlord, is paying for the drinks, he is offering them to you.

Re: Home vs house/help from violet91, posted on 30-08-2013 at 19:21:14 (D | E)
Hello ,

Yes indeed ! An estate agent would try to sell you this or that flat , this or that house . You yourself live in one or the other ; if you speak of your house , you just state the kind of building you live in ! Without any affective connotation .
Whereas home implies an attachment to the place where you like to live and be , whatever the place is .It may be : a palace , a mansion, a house , a flat , a caravan, a tent , a hut ( think of Tarzan!), a cave or ...under a bridge , as long as the person chooses it and feels comfortable , there .
I'll add two more sayings :
- Home is where my sweetheart is . / Home is where I want to be ( a song , as well) ....that is also why when you go abroad for a long time , you may feel ' homesick' : you miss your country , your language , all the people you love , especially the one(s) who are (is) waiting for you at 'home , sweet home ' .

Re: Home vs house/help from passenger75, posted on 31-08-2013 at 08:18:53 (D | E)
Hello,
Thank you all.

Re: Home vs house/help from lily1000, posted on 04-09-2013 at 07:53:04 (D | E)
You can say :go home,and you can't say go house.

Re: Home vs house/help from gerondif, posted on 04-09-2013 at 17:31:31 (D | E)
Hello,
to complete Lily's answer:
1) Normally, you use "at" when you are somewhere and "to" when you go somewhere.

Normally, you use "the" + the name of the place.
I am at the cinema, I am going to the cinema.

2) A few common expressions get rid of "the"
I am at school, at home, at work, in bed, in prison, at rest.....
I am going to work, I am going to school, to prison, to bed,

3) "home" is the only one who gets rid both of "to" and of "the"
"I am at home" becomes "I am going * * home."

But you could say: "I am going to John's house". "I am going to his home" is also possible.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux