Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Like to go/ like going

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Like to go/ like going
Message from angrepa posted on 08-10-2013 at 00:53:56 (D | E | F)
Hello!

In exercise 101564 - sentence Nª 6
I like going out after dark. Can we use the to-infinitive instead of -ing form?
Thank you for any answer.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 08-10-2013 06:28

Re: Like to go/ like going from notrepere, posted on 08-10-2013 at 05:38:17 (D | E)
Hello

Yes, it means the same thing.
Some verbs can take either the infinitive or gerund form with little if any difference in meaning.

Re: Like to go/ like going from violet91, posted on 08-10-2013 at 11:38:09 (D | E)
Hello ,

True it can be equivalent .Yet , I would say ( learned and taught like that over here ) :
1 ) I like + gerund = all the time , generality , always : - I like talking to this so interesting person.
2 ) I like + complete infinitive = more punctual, from time to time , now and then - I like to talk to this person , especially when we happen to meet after watching the same recent film at the cinema.
Still , you can see how slight the difference is . In everyday conversations , both systems would be understood .

Re: Like to go/ like going from angrepa, posted on 09-10-2013 at 23:43:31 (D | E)
I thank you very much for your help. Now I see it clearly.

Re: Like to go/ like going from notrepere, posted on 10-10-2013 at 06:24:09 (D | E)
Hello

OK, Violet, I'll let you have your distinction if you wish. However, "overhere" is not a real word in English.

Re: Like to go/ like going from willy, posted on 10-10-2013 at 09:34:43 (D | E)
Hello!

Here are two more examples:
- I like getting up early = I enjoy getting up early.
- I liked working with him last week.

- I like to get up early: I choose to; it's my habit.

Re: Like to go/ like going from angel7, posted on 10-10-2013 at 18:27:42 (D | E)
Hello,
the difference between infinitive form and gerund form is more or less important. If you want to be accurate in your speech or your writing (if you like détails) you can consider it. But in general speaking, this difference is meaningless.
Hope it helps

Re: Like to go/ like going from simplicius, posted on 10-10-2013 at 19:30:02 (D | E)
Hi angel,
Let me take an example, in order to understand your point. Would these two sentences sound equivalent to you, and if there's a difference, what would that be?
a. I like to brush my teeth.
b. I like brushing my teeth.
And similarly, how about the pair:
c. I hate to brush my teeth.
d. I hate brushing my teeth.
Cheers, S.

Re: Like to go/ like going from angel7, posted on 10-10-2013 at 20:11:23 (D | E)
Hello,
Simplicius, as I said earlier this difference is more or less important. According to the context, this difference may be meaningless or not.
Let's see your example
I like brushing my teeth = I enjoy brushing my teeth
I like to brush my teetk = I prefer brushing my teeth
brushing my teeth is a daily action for my health so what I prefer and what I enjoy are alike. Here, this difference is not relevant, that's why I said this difference is more or less important and in this case, it's meaningless.
I don't automatically rebut the difference which may have.
Take care

-------------------
Edited by angel7 on 10-10-2013 20:24

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 11-10-2013 07:40
As the message by simplicius was in French I had to delete it. We are on the English only forum

Re: Like to go/ like going from violet91, posted on 10-10-2013 at 20:44:20 (D | E)
Hello ,
If you want the expression to convey both a habit and pleasure ,to me , one is slightly more relevant than the other .
Bye .

Re: Like to go/ like going from angrepa, posted on 11-10-2013 at 00:14:23 (D | E)
Hello to everybody.
I´ve read all the answers but, please, tell me:
Can I say "I like going to the park" / "I like to go to the park" with no strong difference as Angel7 said?
I´ve got a mess now

Re: Like to go/ like going from violet91, posted on 11-10-2013 at 01:46:30 (D | E)
Hello again ,

No mess ahead , no need to stress . Most answers given tell you the same thing , explain the very slight difference and how to choose if you wish to insist upon this or that , or keep neutral .

Re: Like to go/ like going from simplicius, posted on 11-10-2013 at 08:17:23 (D | E)
Hello,

When I wrote my post about the gerund and the infinitive, I failed to notice that this was the English only forum, sorry. Here is what I meant.
I think that the nuance between 'I like going out after dark' and 'I like to go after dark' can be explained by the difference in meaning between the gerund and the infinitive.
The gerund (going) presents the process 'go' as actually taking place, as a concrete experience, which allows for the expression of subjectivity.
On the other hand, the infinitive presents the process 'go' as a notion, considered from a distance, abstractly, and so readily expresses an objective assessment.
So, "I like getting up early" could be paraphrased as I like the experience of getting up early, I find it pleasant, it's a nice way to start my day..., whereas "I like to get up early", would suggest something like I prefer to get up early because I like the notion of getting up early, I think it's the right thing to do, etc...
Cheers, S.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 11-10-2013 13:46

Re: Like to go/ like going from angel7, posted on 11-10-2013 at 14:12:38 (D | E)
Hello,
you have not to mess about it. I think the answers brought are clear to help your understanding.
Take care

Re: Like to go/ like going from gerondif, posted on 11-10-2013 at 20:01:28 (D | E)
Hello,

to cut it short as everything has already been explained:
I like teaching: I express a taste for something that I have already done and like doing.
I like to teach in good conditions: I express my point of view, my preference when it comes to choices, my ideal in life.
It is the same use as in: I wouldn't like to swim in that dirty canal: It is a choice, a decision, I have never done it and I couldn't use a gerund here.

Re: Like to go/ like going from angrepa, posted on 11-10-2013 at 23:29:21 (D | E)
Thank you so much for your explanations. I do appreciate your efforts to make me understand this point.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux