Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Way of / way to

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Way of / way to
Message from again57 posted on 13-10-2013 at 17:25:03 (D | E | F)
Hello everyone,

Please, could you explain the difference between way of and way to?
I know there is a difference, but I don't remember which one. For instance, if you write: "It's a way of thinking" and "it's a way to think", I know the meaning is not exactly the same, but what's the difference?
Thank you for your help.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 13-10-2013 18:19

Re: Way of / way to from angel7, posted on 14-10-2013 at 17:55:12 (D | E)
Hello,
I used to read "way of thinking" which refers to a habit of thinking. In this same way, we find "way of life" way of dressing" and the like. Concerning "way to think" perhaps the two sentences have the same meaning, but I personnally believe it refers to specific manner to think for a specific circumstance. It's my view point.
Take care.

-------------------
Edited by angel7 on 14-10-2013 18:28

Re: Way of / way to from simplicius, posted on 14-10-2013 at 19:15:42 (D | E)
Hello,

Here are two examples to illustrate what angel just said :
"I'm looking for a way to sum up nicely what we just said". (I have this complicated stuff to sum up, I'm looking for an idea for this occasion).
"I wish Peter were here, he has a way of summing things up nicely" (it's a characteristic of his, an ability, something he does often, a knack he has).
Probably you could use "a way of summing up" in the first sentence, without changing the meaning significantly; but if the two sentences are side by side, it makes sense to use the to + inf construction in the 1st, and the of + -ing construction in the 2nd for a contrastive effect.
Cheers, S.

Re: Way of / way to from violet91, posted on 14-10-2013 at 22:18:43 (D | E)
Hello ,

I also understand what Simplicius suggests .The two sentences linked together
"I'm looking for a way to sum up nicely what we just said. I wish Peter were here, he has a way of summing things up nicely"
1 ) an aim : in order to .
2 ) Peter is a champion at summing up ; I wish he were here to help me with his own way ...That is the field he is the best in .

My two pence worth.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux