Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

English oral/problematic

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

English oral/problematic
Message from lolixaxa posted on 23-04-2014 at 09:18:54 (D | E | F)
Hello,

I would like to have some help, especially for my oral english exam.
In fact, for the notion " seats and forms of power" I would like to deal with the idea of Medias.
But, my teacher said to me that my notion's problematic was not good. Actually my problematic is :
"How do/can media illustrate best our notion? "
So, could someone help me to transform and improve this question?

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 23-04-2014 19:18

Re: English oral/problematic from bluestar, posted on 23-04-2014 at 13:24:55 (D | E)
Hello.

Perhaps "how do the organs of power use or control the media?"

Re: English oral/problematic from lolixaxa, posted on 23-04-2014 at 14:13:56 (D | E)
Hello,

Thank you very much for answering.
I really love this one but I dont think if this problematic would be efficient for my presentation. Because actually I even don't talk about those who control medias, but I simply talk about Medias (their roles in our society, their power and their limits)

So this why I think that your (excellent!!) problematic doesn't have a link with my presentation, does she?

If you have another one, it will be very cool.

Thank you very much.

Re: English oral/problematic from lolixaxa, posted on 23-04-2014 at 15:42:12 (D | E)
Hello,

I just found a new problematic now : can you just tell me if it sounds good/correct?

" How Medias which are called the "fifth power", embodies a new form of power?"

Re: English oral/problematic from bluestar, posted on 23-04-2014 at 16:02:19 (D | E)
Hello,

Your suggestion is good, but perhaps you should call the media "the fourth power" not the fifth, because Wikipedia says:

The fifth power is a term, apparently created by Ignacio Ramonet, that intends a continuation of the series of three classic branches of Baron de Montesquieu's separation of powers and the fourth power, the mass media. The term fifth power can be used to refer either to economic systems, the Internet or the Church.

By the way we don't say "medias"; it is already a plural noun (medium : singular; media: plural)

Re: English oral/problematic from lolixaxa, posted on 23-04-2014 at 16:29:43 (D | E)
Thank you for your help!! I didn't know that "Medias" was a plurial noun.. So, should I say : Media are or Media is

Then, I found the final problematic which is :
" How Media which is called the "fourth power", embody a new form of power?"
Is it good or not?
Anyway, thank you very much!!!

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 29-04-2014 11:53
final problematic which is ...

Re: English oral/problematic from bluestar, posted on 23-04-2014 at 16:52:46 (D | E)
Hello,

Strictly speaking you should say 'the media are...' and not 'the media is...' etc. but some people get away with treating it as singular and this is often accepted by force of habit. But I don't think it's a good habit..

When you use the word 'problematic' I am not entirely sure what you mean, though I can guess the general drift. For me it's an adjective and not a noun. If we say something is problematic it usually means that there are problems associated with it.

Re: English oral/problematic from bluduck2, posted on 29-04-2014 at 14:00:15 (D | E)
Hello lolixaxa ,
I suggest saying things simply and clearly .
For example:" Here is my question:
Do the media embody a new form of power ? How ?"
Is the internet (a modern medium") a new form of power ?
I'll try and answer with some precise example from recent articles from the press or some videos"

Do not recite a summary you learnt by heart !!If you make your point clear ,I am sure your examiner will appreciate your presentation .
I would not use the word "problematic" ,because it is an adjective .
I hope this helps !
Bluduck2

Re: English oral/problematic from lolixaxa, posted on 29-04-2014 at 14:44:29 (D | E)
Hello,

So, thank you very much Bluduck2 for your advice, but it's very difficult to not learn a notion by heart..

I need furthermore to entertain myself for the oral questions...

Anyway, my question's notion is : "How media which are called the fourth power embody a new form of power?"

Thank you all for everything.

Re: English oral/problematic from brettdallen, posted on 29-04-2014 at 14:50:02 (D | E)
Hello,

I do agree with the fact that "problematic" shouldn't be used this way since it is an adjective and that it doesn't convey the idea you'd like to express. We're not talking about a problem actually! So, instead you could use "the key question" and eventually you're not even supposed to introduce it this way: "the key question is...". You could try something like this: "We could ask ourselves wheteher...." or something similar.

Hope this helps.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux