Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]


Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !



- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site



> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites
   


Fun /gerund or infinitive

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]


Fun /gerund or infinitive
Message from miyamiya posted on 17-06-2014 at 20:15:56 (D | E | F)
Hello,

Let me ask you a question please.
1) It was fun meeting up with our old friends from college. ( from an English test)
2) It is great fun walking in the woods. ( in my dictionary)
3) it is a lot of fun to talk with her. ( in my dictionary)
Is "fun" followed by gerund or infinitive? Or either is fine?
Thank you in advance. Have a good day!
Miya,

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 17-06-2014 20:59


Re: Fun /gerund or infinitive from gerondif, posted on 17-06-2014 at 22:38:57 (D | E)
Hello,
both are correct.
When you use a gerund, it is something you have already done:
I like teaching.
When you use the infinitive, it is more an ideal, a projection of your mind, an ideal choice, a point of view.
I like to teach in good conditions.
So,

1) It was fun meeting up with our old friends from college. ( from an English test)
It has happened, it is not a concept but a description of an event that happened
2) It is great fun walking in the woods. ( in my dictionary)
And you have probably already experienced that.

3) it is a lot of fun to talk with her. ( in my dictionary)
Here, you express a preference, your point of view.



Re: Fun /gerund or infinitive from clint01, posted on 17-06-2014 at 23:35:08 (D | E)
Hello
I like doing something actually means that you enjoy doing it.
I like to do something means that you think it is a wise thing to do.
For example you may say I like shopping because you enjoy doing it but you never say I like going to a dentist twice a year because as far as I know nobody enjoys going to a dentist. That's why we say I like to go to a dentist because you think it is a wise thing to do.



Re: Fun /gerund or infinitive from miyamiya, posted on 18-06-2014 at 02:28:05 (D | E)
Hello gerondif and clint01, Thank you for the reply!

I see. So the point is the concept of gerund and infinitive in this case.
I thought I automatically had to choose gerund or infinitive after "fun".
I read your answers a couple of times.
It was good to ask on this forum, because there is no answer like this in my textbook.
Thank you so much!
Miya,



Re: Fun /gerund or infinitive from here4u, posted on 18-06-2014 at 12:38:06 (D | E)
I resisted answering because I knew that gerondif would ! and he does it so well !



Re: Fun /gerund or infinitive from miyamiya, posted on 19-06-2014 at 06:08:16 (D | E)
Hello here4u,

If you don't mind, would you give me the lecture about it?
Because I feel that each person have different explanation about it.

Miya,




[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]


Forum > English only


 


> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux |