Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Go home/Go to school

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Go home/Go to school
Message from outcast posted on 08-02-2015 at 06:34:10 (D | E | F)
Hello,

Please tell me why there is a difference is sentence-structure for the sentences mentioned below?
"I go home" and "I go to school"
I think both ‘home' and ‘school' are similar in the sense that both the words refer to adverb of place.
Please clarify my doubt.
Thank you in advance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 08-02-2015 09:20

Re: Go home/Go to school from carlabice47, posted on 08-02-2015 at 12:20:41 (D | E)
Hello,
the answer is as simple as that.
Home does not want the preposition TO with verbs of movement. Come home ( Not come to home!), go home . Run home. etc.
School wants the preposition TO with verbs of movement.
Go to school, come to school . run to school

Bye bye cb47

Re: Go home/Go to school from outcast, posted on 08-02-2015 at 12:54:17 (D | E)
Thanks cb47 for the answer,
but according to your comment please let me understand why “Home does not want the preposition TO with verbs of movement” and why “School wants the preposition TO with verbs of movement”?
Is it an exception or it differs from noun to noun?
Thanks.

Re: Go home/Go to school from lucile83, posted on 08-02-2015 at 14:53:07 (D | E)
Hello,
Home can act as an adverb of location, and as such doesn't require a preposition to indicate movement.
Link

Thus... people go home and come home.
Hope this helps.

Re: Go home/Go to school from outcast, posted on 08-02-2015 at 15:34:49 (D | E)
Hello! Sorry to ask again.
My question is, if “Home can act as an adverb of location”, then what’s wrong with the word ‘School’?
Can’t the word ‘School’ act as an adverb of location?
Or the word ‘Home’ has some special exception?
Thanks.

Re: Go home/Go to school from lucile83, posted on 08-02-2015 at 16:35:50 (D | E)
Hello,
I spoke of 'home', not 'school'.
Home can act as an adverb, school can't. Call it an exception if you want, but you just have to know that.

Re: Go home/Go to school from bamboozler, posted on 09-02-2015 at 12:05:12 (D | E)
Hello,
Every language is unique, so is English.
There are some subjects which can't be argued. Sometimes it's perplexing but through experience we can get used to using it.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 09-02-2015 12:26

Re: Go home/Go to school from gerondif, posted on 11-02-2015 at 12:20:45 (D | E)
Hello,
you could also "learn it" that way:

Use at when you are there and to when you go there:

3 categories:
1) usual nouns, use the:
I am at the cinema, I go to the cinema
I am at the supermarket, I go to the supermarket.

2) common expressions where "the" disappears:
I am at school, at work, at home, at rest, in town, in bed.
I go to school, to work, to prison, to town, to bed.

3) exception:
I am at home, I go * home.

as Lucile said, home can be considered as an adverb of location and we can find in textbooks when a pupil comes back from school:
"Mum, I'm home (I'm back home) ! Where are you ?"

but you could say: I am going to john's home, I am going to John's house.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux