Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Like /aide (1)

Cours gratuits > Forum > English only || Bottom

This topic is now closed. You can't post a new reply.

Like /aide
Message from baodali posted on 18-10-2015 at 04:51:03
Hi everybody,
"We'd like to be able to offer them a less expensive alternative like we did with the swivel Chair."
I do not understand this sentence. In my opinion, it is correct to replace "like" with "as" , right?
Thanks a lot for any reply.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 19-10-2015 23:27

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 21-10-2015 08:19

Re: Like /aide by fanfan, posted on 18-10-2015 at 08:13:04
Hello !
From the point of view of grammar , you are absolutely right ; however in everyday life language , people tend to use " like " instead of " as " .

Re: Like /aide by lucile83, posted on 20-10-2015 at 16:27:13
Hello,
Using like instead of as is not really correct.
It is very common in American English to use LIKE instead of AS. However, it is generally considered informal to use it in this way.
Link

Re: Like /aide by lucile83, posted on 20-10-2015 at 18:59:07
Hello melmoth,
I didn't write it was incorrect; I said it was not really correct, which is slightly different. That means it is familiar.
From Oxford dictionary:
informal : relaxed and friendly; not following strict rules of how to behave or do something.

Moreover I don't agree with Cambridge dictionary on line about this:
there are times where writing can be very informal ...it should be when.
I let you check on the internet. I remember now why I generally use Oxford dictionary, or Collins.

Re: Like /aide by here4u, posted on 20-10-2015 at 22:08:59
Hello melmoth,

I'm awfully sorry, but I can't agree less with you... 'Like we did' is a regionalism which isn't admitted in exams and competitive exams... It is, therefore, dangerous to pretend it is'correct English' and encourage the Learners of this site to imitate...
As you say, when you know better and more, you may choose to use colloquial English, and be 'judged' by the language you use, but not when you learn, and even less when you advise...
It's our duty to explain and make differences. At least, that's what I think teaching and advising are...
Best wishes, and take care (of your English too... ) No hard feelings, of course...

of course, I'd never accept moments where... ARGHHHH...

Re: Like /aide by lucile83, posted on 20-10-2015 at 23:06:23
Hello melmoth,
We are a few people on this forum trying to correct texts and messages so that the members can write good English; not informal or colloquial (there are other sites for that).
If you don't agree with that rule it is your choice but it won't be mine or ours.
Thank you for your understanding.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 20-10-2015 23:14
We are far from baodali's question !

Re: Like /aide by here4u, posted on 21-10-2015 at 00:05:42
Hi melmoth ...
The problem on this site isn't only to speak for the sake of speaking, but to have free English lessons... Some people need English for their jobs or their future exams... and I'll never let you say that saying 'as we did' is 'speaking like a book...'
Boadali, you were more than right... Not only can you replace 'like we did' by 'as we did', but you should! That's perfect!

Re: Like /aide by lucile83, posted on 21-10-2015 at 00:38:13
Hello melmoth,

Speaking in French about the subjunctive as a ‘mode vestigial’ is indeed ‘speaking like a book’ …a French book, and I read that in one of your messages a few days ago.
I think that we don't need advice on the English forums from someone who tries to explain the subjunctive in such a way, especially to beginners.
That is the end of the discussion.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 21-10-2015 08:02
I discover that melmoth has deleted his messages. Perhaps he was not at ease with what he had written.
Sorry that this topic has been spoiled.