Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Which function/help (2)

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Page 2 / 2 - To jump to another page: Top | 1 | 2 | End | Bottom
Re: Which function/help from gerondif, posted on 19-06-2012 at 00:05:21 (D | E)
Hello,

The man, (while he was) standing not far from the blue car waved his hand to us.
another reason why "while " doesn't fit.

You would say: The man, who happened to be standing not far from the blue car, waved his hand to us. This non defining relative clause is a detail that you could suppress: The man waved his hand to us.

The man that was standing near the blue car waved his hand to us. That man, not any other. It is a restrictive defining relative clause which you couldn't suppress.

But there is NO reason why you should use "while" after a comma (,) to insist on simultaneity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello!
You mean that clause withwhile must be only at the beginning of the sentence? NO
either at the beginning or after the main clause.
He stole my money while I was sleeping.

Living not far from us, these/some/ students often came to visit us.(because they were living)- adverbial function
Students living not far from us often came to visit us. -attributive function.

Yes, if you like, but what does it bring you to pin down "adverbial" or attributive" on those ing forms ??

Re: Which function/help from a_limon, posted on 19-06-2012 at 00:46:49 (D | E)
Yes, if you like, but what does it bring you to pin down "adverbial" or attributive" on those ing forms ??
But I would like to know the difference in meaming. English participles don't change their ends,when they play adverbial function, in contrast to Russian ones. That is why it seems difficult to specify...I'm not sure you understand me.I could explain it to you in PM, if you want,using "the Russian adverbial and attributive participle" They are different at all.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only
Page 2 / 2 - To jump to another page: Top | 1 | 2 | End | Bottom

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux