Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Jules Verne /Thème

(2)Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Page 2 / 2 - Voir la page << | 1 | 2 | Fin
Réponse: Jules Verne /Thème de notrepere, postée le 01-03-2013 à 03:53:04 (S | E)
Hello Lakata

Does the word "spiny" work for the badly shaved face of a man?
It depends on whether you are talking about the way it looks or feels.
For the way it looks, you could say "stubbly" or "unshaven".
OLD: Lien internet

For the way it feels, you could say "scratchy" or "rough".
I don't think you could say "spiny" or "thorny" unless the being in question is a reptile.

Réponse: Jules Verne /Thème de notrepere, postée le 01-03-2013 à 04:09:20 (S | E)
Hello all

If you have a suggestion for something to translate: perhaps something you've been struggling with, or a text you've always liked and wondered how it could be translated into English, n'hésitez pas à me contacter.

Réponse: Jules Verne /Thème de violet91, postée le 01-03-2013 à 12:38:52 (S | E)
Hello np ,

Firstly, thanks a lot for choosing such a different and special text ! I am sorry I didn't do it by lack of time . I did translate it soon after you posted it , but had no more spare time to add ' my ' final touch .

a) Speaking of a man's scratchy face , and keeping politically correct , I was thinking of a prickly pear ( figue de Barbarie) and a prickly m(o)ustache or a prickly beard ! ...what do you think ? Would it be caricatural , too exaggerated and painful for the partner, to say it like that ?

b ) A desert island is a virgin place , isn't it ? That was the kind of place - with no trace of human being whatsoever - the solitary Prince chose , wasn't
it ? Une île vierge , complètement perdue , voire ignorée de tous = comme introuvable .
And as you say , deserted would refer to a place which used to be inhabited .( un os pour les élèves français ).
Therefore , would a desert ( uninhabited) planet be the proper expression for ' The Little Prince ' ? ( where he came from , I mean)

Have a nice 'smooth' day , dear all !

Réponse: Jules Verne /Thème de lakata, postée le 01-03-2013 à 17:43:19 (S | E)
Hello dear notrepere!

Thank you for answering my (thorny?) question and giving me all these words.
I will try to remember them, but only in my next life, since they have become totally useless in this one...

About what you suggested in your last message, you can be sure I am thinking over it, though the choice of a suitable text is a...thorny problem!

Réponse: Jules Verne /Thème de notrepere, postée le 01-03-2013 à 18:23:36 (S | E)
Hello V

Yes, I'd say the Little Prince's planet could be considered "uninhabited". But it wasn't very big now, was it? Well, wait, the Little Prince lived there, so it wasn't uninhabited after all!

As far as prickly, I think you could say that. It appears that in British English, they tend to say that things are prickly (like a prickly sweater) while we tend to say they are scratchy.

I don't know whether you can use that for a stubbly face. But if you said it, I'd know what you meant.

"Keep that prickly face away from me! Why don't you go and shave!"

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 01-03-2013 18:26

Réponse: Jules Verne /Thème de sirocco52, postée le 01-03-2013 à 23:10:55 (S | E)
Hello,

Where Prince Dakkar he had been seeking the independence, that he refused the inhabited earth? Under water, in the depths of the seas, where no one could follow. For the man of war was replaced the scientist. A deserted island in the Pacific served him to establish his projects, and there a submarine vessel was constructed on its plans. Electricity, which, by means which will be known one day he was able to use the immeasurable mechanical strength, and he drew to inexhaustible sources, was employed in all the necessities of his floating device, as the driving force , illuminating power, heat power. The sea, with its infinite treasures, its myriads of fish, its harvest kelp and sargassum, huge mammals, not only all that nature maintained, but also everything that men had lost more than enough to needs of the prince and his crew - and this was the fulfillment of his strongest desire, since it would no longer have any communication with the earth. He named his plane submarine Nautilus, he called himself Captain Nemo, and disappeared under the sea.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 02-03-2013 07:29
Please read the correction above.

Réponse: Jules Verne /Thème de mamou3, postée le 02-03-2013 à 07:48:00 (S | E)
Hello notrepere,

To answer your question, is it possible to have an extract from Robinson Crusoe ? It's a book for everybody and thus we could stay on a beach with the sun ! To change from here and to dream a little.
Thanks a lot in advance.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 02-03-2013 07:59

Réponse: Jules Verne /Thème de ariane6, postée le 02-03-2013 à 17:50:31 (S | E)
Bonsoir np,
Encore merci pour cet exercice de traduction !

J'ai toujours eu un faible pour les princes... quelle chance,
un nouveau vient de faire son apparition !

Lien internet

Réponse: Jules Verne /Thème de notrepere, postée le 02-03-2013 à 18:03:49 (S | E)
Hello mamou

That's a good idea but because it would have been tranlated from English first, that might be a little problematic. I've chosen, for now, an excerpt from "Le Petit Prince".

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Exercices du forum
Page 2 / 2 - Voir la page << | 1 | 2 | Fin

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux