Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum || Aller tout en bas

Exercices du forum
Retrouvez des centaines d'exercices ici et créez votre propre test ici. D'autres exercices sont également disponibles dans le forum English only

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponses

a, an, the or X
Message de jardin62 posté le 22-03-2005 à 21:24:02 (S | E | F | I)

Bonjour à tous ceux que les 'determiners' préoccupent.(Cet exercice vient d'un livre de terminale 'Your way')/ La consigne est : 'Fill in the blanks with a, an, the, or O' (0= nothing : je n'ai pas de o barré)

To ... Europeans and ... Americans at ... time, it was ...'Great War', ... largest and costliest conflict in ... history of... old continent and ... event that propelled ... United States, at least for ... time, into ... international system from which it had long remained aloof. To President Woodrow Wilson and to those who shared his vision, it was '... war to end all ... wars, ... cataclysm that would force ... nations to construct ... new world order free of ... barbarism of ... old. To ... historians, however, it is simply ... World War I, ... terrible conflict that resolved few of ... problems that had caused it and served as prelude to ... even greater war ... generation later.
... United States entered ... conflict on April 6, 1917, amidst ... burst of patriotic fervor. But there was never real unity in ... country's view of ... war, never ... universal belief in ... correctness of America's role . ... year and ... half later ... war was over. And ... United States, ... only nation to emerge from ... conflict stronger than it had entered it, was now clearly ... pre-eminent power in ... world. ... country's halting effort to come to terms with that pre-eminence was one of ... principal forces that shaped ... American history over ... next 40 yearscol. ( Chronicle of America)
* Good luck.

-------------------
Edité par bridg le 22-03-2005 21:26

Réponse: a, an, the or X de gewurz, postée le 22-03-2005 à 21:53:11 (S | E)
Bon, bah comme d'habitude, pile ou face

To the Europeans and the Americans at a time, it was the 'Great War', the largest and costliest conflict in the history of the old continent and an event that propelled the United States, at least for a time, into the international system from which it had long remained aloof. To President Woodrow Wilson and to those who shared his vision, it was 'the war to end all 0 wars, a cataclysm that would force the nations to construct a new world order free of 0 barbarism of the old. To 0 historians, however, it is simply 0 World War I, a terrible conflict that resolved few of the problems that had caused it and served as prelude to an even greater war the generation later.
The United States entered the conflict on April 6, 1917, amidst a burst of patriotic fervor. But there was never real unity in the country's view of the war, never any universal belief in the correctness of America's role . A year and a half later the war was over. And the United States, the only nation to emerge from the conflict stronger than it had entered it, was now clearly the pre-eminent power in the world. The country's halting effort to come to terms with that pre-eminence was one of the principal forces that shaped 0 American history over the next 40 yearscol.
( Chronicle of America)

Avec pile ou face, normalement c'est 50% de bon. Qu'a décidé la chance ?

Réponse: a, an, the or X de jardin62, postée le 23-03-2005 à 15:46:23 (S | E)
'yearscol'! ( that's the colour again!)
Sorry!

Réponse: a, an, the or X de isa71, postée le 23-03-2005 à 23:26:45 (S | E)
coucou jardin

To the Europeans and the Americans at a time, it was the 'Great War', the largest and costliest conflict in the history of.0.. old continent and an event that propelled the United States, at least for a time, into the international system from which it had long remained aloof. To President Woodrow Wilson and to those who shared his vision, it was 'the war to end all 0 wars, a cataclysm that would force the nations to construct a new world order free of 0 barbarism of the old. To 0 historians, however, it is simply the World War I, a terrible conflict that resolved few of the problems that had caused it and served as prelude to an even greater war a generation later.
the United States entered the conflict on April 6, 1917, amidst a burst of patriotic fervor. But there was never real unity in the country's view of the war, never a universal belief in the correctness of America's role . a year and a half later the war was over. And the United States, the only nation to emerge from the conflict stronger than it had entered it, was now clearly the pre-eminent power in the world. the country's halting effort to come to terms with that pre-eminence was one of the principal forces that shaped an American history over the next 40 yearscol. ( Chronicle of America)

ouf!! j'espère que je ne me suis pas trop embrouillée avec toute cette manipulation

merci beaucoup isa

Réponse: a, an, the or X de marie37400, postée le 24-03-2005 à 15:17:58 (S | E)
Hello Jardin, bien sûr, je me sens concernée :

To THE Europeans and THE Americans at A time, it was THE 'Great War', THE largest and costliest conflict in O history of THE old continent and AN event that propelled THE United States, at least for A time, into THE international system from which it had long remained aloof. To President Woodrow Wilson and to those who shared his vision, it was 'A war to end all O wars, A cataclysm that would force THE nations to construct A new world order free of O barbarism of THE old. To O historians, however, it is simply O World War I, A terrible conflict that resolved few of THE problems that had caused it and served as prelude to O even greater war A generation later.
THE United States entered THE conflict on April 6, 1917, amidst O burst of patriotic fervor. But there was never real unity in THE country's view of THE war, never A universal belief in O correctness of America's role . A year and A half later THE war was over. And THE United States, THE only nation to emerge from THE conflict stronger than it had entered it, was now clearly A pre-eminent power in THE world. THE country's halting effort to come to terms with that pre-eminence was one of THE principal forces that shaped O American history over THE next 40 yearscol. ( Chronicle of America)
* Good luck.
Après avoir révisé consciencieusement dans les « Voices » de Term de ma fille (pourquoi n’a-t-elle pas « My way », j’espère avoir la moyenne.
Merci pour cet exercice !
Marie

Réponse: a, an, the or X de hyppoblue, postée le 24-03-2005 à 15:55:03 (S | E)
Bonjour,

To THE Europeans and THE Americans at A time, it was THE 'Great War', THE largest and costliest conflict in O history of THE old continent and AN event that propelled THE United States, at least for A time, into AN international system from which it had long remained aloof. To President Woodrow Wilson and to those who shared his vision, it was A war to end all O wars, A cataclysm that would force O nations to construct A new world order free of THE barbarism of THE old. To O historians, however, it is simply O World War I, A terrible conflict that resolved few of THE problems that had caused it and served as prelude to AN even greater war A generation later.
THE United States entered THE conflict on April 6, 1917, amidst A burst of patriotic fervor. But there was never real unity in THE country's view of THE war, never AN universal belief in THE correctness of America's role . A year and AN half later O war was over. And THE United States, THE only nation to emerge from THE conflict stronger than it had entered it, was now clearly A pre-eminent power in THE world. THE country's halting effort to come to terms with that pre-eminence was one of THE principal forces that shaped O American history over THE next 40 yearsl. ( Chronicle of America)

Mon fils n'est qu'en 1ère et son bouquin ne m'a pas beaucoup aidée. Alors j'ai du faire "a lot of mistakes"

Réponse: a, an, the or X de felin, postée le 24-03-2005 à 17:31:10 (S | E)
Bonjour Jardin

To THE Europeans and THE Americans at 0 times, it was THE 'Great War', THE largest and costliest conflict in 0 history of 0 old continent and AN event that propelled THE United States, at least for THE time, into THE international system from which it had long remained a loof. To President Woodrow Wilson and to those who shared his vision, it was 'THE war to end all 0 wars, A cataclysm that would force THE nations to construct A new world order free of 0 barbarism of THE old. To 0 historians, however, it is simply THE World War I, A terrible conflict that resolved few of 0 problems that had caused it and served as prelude to 0 even greater war A generation later.
THE United States entered 0 conflict on April 6, 1917, amidst A burst of patriotic fervor. But there was never real unity in THE country's view of THE war, never A universal belief in 0 correctness of America's role A year and A half later A war was over. And THE United States, THE only nation to emerge from 0 conflict stronger than it had entered it, was now clearly A pre-eminent power in THE world. THE country's halting effort to come to terms with that pre-eminence was one of 0 principal forces that shaped AN American history over THE next 40 years col. ( Chronicle of America).

Jardin

Réponse: a, an, the or X de jardin62, postée le 24-03-2005 à 19:04:55 (S | E)
...A tous !: 'yearscol est une faute de frappe (ouch!)' : le dernier mot du texte est YEARS. (col vient du fait que j'ai mal manipulé les font colour.
* Vous avez dû vous demander ce que c'était que ce mot 'yearscol'!
** Je suis une grande étourdie, une tête de linotte ( bah! on excuse 'une jardin', no? )
***Ne craignez rien : la correction se met en route, je n'habite pas tout près, je suis parfois mal desservie par la Poste, mais attendez-vous à un 'Col-ici-mots' bientôt

Réponse: a, an, the or X de jardin62, postée le 26-03-2005 à 11:33:36 (S | E)
Bonjour à tous en ce beau weekend de Pâques!
- A ? An ? The ? ou (Rien =0 ?)

I) Voici le texte corrigé : je me permettrai des explications après.
Contestations autorisées !

To the Europeans and the Americans at the time, it was the 'Great War', the largest and costliest conflict in the history of the old continent and an event that propelled the United States, at least for a time, into an international system from which it had long remained aloof.To President Woodrow Wilson and to those who shared his vision, it was the war to end all (0)wars, a cataclysm that would force the nations to construct a new world order free of the barbarism of the old. To (0)historians, however, it is simply (0)World War I, a terrible conflict that resolved few of the problems that had caused it and served as prelude to an even greater war a generation later.
The United States entered the conflict on April 6, 1917, amidst a burst of patriotic fervor. But there was never real unity in the country's view of the war, never a universal belief in the correctness of America's role. A year and a half later the war was over. And the United States, the only nation to emerge from the conflict stronger than it had entered it, was now clearly a pre-eminent power in the world. The country's halting effort to come to terms with that pre-eminence was one of the principal forces that shaped the American history over the next 40 years. (Chronicle of America)

Quelques explications que j'essaierai de rendre les moins confuses possible.
C'est surtout THE qui nous préoccupe:
1. Partons du principe que c'est un déterminant (l'article défini d'autrefois). Savoir que c'est un ancien démonstratif n'est pas inutile, vous verrez.
* La détermination par the peut provenir de ce qui suit: le terme étant défini par un complément
-introduit par une préposition
Ex> of :'the history of the old continent' / ...'free of the barbarism of the old ' (= the old continent) / 'few of the problems' /
Ex in : 'in the world' / 'in the correctness of America's role'/ 'in the history of the old continent' /
- un superlatif:' the largest and costliest conflict in the history of the old continent' ( of + in + superlatif = tout y est!)
** La situation évoquée a un caractère unique
Ex:'the ' Great War' = c'est World War I = La seule et unique 'Grande Guerre' ( celle qui a suivi fut 'un' conflit, certes pire que le premier mais auquel World War I mena!)
Ex: ...to emerge from the conflict = revient à dire 'from this conflict'
Ex: 'The country's halting effort' = the country mentioned is obviously
America.
Ex: ' The war was over ' = this war
Ex: ' the American history' = the history of America
Ex: ' The next few years ' = the 40 years that followed the conflict
Ex:' US entered the conflict' = they entered this
conflict
Ex :' The war to end all wars ' = this war (cette guerre-ci, repérée comme étant celle qui mettrait fin à toute autres guerres- Il faut signaler que la prononciation est

Ex :' at the time ' = at this time ( les Européens et les
Américains de l'époque repérée, de l'époque en question, de l'époque dont on parle
Ex :' The Europeans and the Americans of...
Ex: 'The United States' = ce sont les Etats qui se sont unis en une confédération par opposition aux autres - à l'époque- on rencontre de plus en plus souvent USA sans the car on oublie que les US sont une confédération, USA est assimilé à un pays comme Italy...)
Ex:pas de the avant historians = les historiens en général (ils ne sont pas repérés)
Ex: a et non an avant universal ( le u de universal a une prononciation qui n'oblige pas à faire de liaison comme 'umbrella')
Ex: ' it is simply World War I' =inutile de sur-déterminer World War I/ WWI est unique, c'est 'the' War! Le titre se suffit.
pour vous! je cause, je cause! mais je tenais quand même à expliquer ce que je propose comme correction.
Pour faire'short' : et et
-------------------
Edité par bridg le 26-03-2005 11:37

Réponse: a, an, the or X de marie37400, postée le 29-03-2005 à 12:16:41 (S | E)
Un grand merci, Jardin !
Je sais que mes correspondants anglophones me reprochent d'être trop axée sur la grammaire, mais que faire !!! Trop vieille pour me refaire
Les corrections accompagnées des explications sont d'une grande aide, surtout sur l'astuce de penser à The comme un ancien démonstratif
and Cheerio !
Marie

Réponse: a, an, the or X de jardin62, postée le 29-03-2005 à 13:54:24 (S | E)
marie37400: il m'est difficile de corriger sans expliquer, ('bavarde'!)...

Réponse: a, an, the or X de doumyra, postée le 29-03-2005 à 15:01:02 (S | E)
Hello Jardin!
Could you explain me one thing I've never understood...
Must I write "an hotel" or "a hotel"?
Thank you

-------------------
Edité par webmaster le 29-03-2005 15:09
"a hotel" because of the sound [h] at the beginning of the word

Réponse: a, an, the or X de marie37400, postée le 29-03-2005 à 15:16:06 (S | E)
Hello Doumyra,
Au sujet des mots commençant par la lettre "h" en anglais, il est expiré dans tous, sauf dans : heir hour honest honour et leurs dérivés où il est obligatoirement muet.
Ce sera donc les seules exceptions ou nous nous devrons d'écrire an au lieu de a devant le h.
Marie

Réponse: a, an, the or X de doumyra, postée le 29-03-2005 à 15:23:37 (S | E)
Thank you very much!!
So, I just have to learn heir, honour, hour and honest, that's easy to memorise!

Ce sujet est fermé, vous ne pouvez pas poster de réponse.

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux