Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Funny mistakes in English

<< English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

Page 1 / 5 - To jump to another page: Top | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | End | Bottom
Funny mistakes in English
Message from chrislondon posted on 14-06-2008 at 22:50:14 (D | E | F)
What's the funniest mistake you have made in English? A student of mine said 'The plane flies through my house twice a day.' Of course she meant 'over my house'! The good thing is that when you make a mistake like this you never forget it!

Re: Funny mistakes in English from hughy, posted on 15-06-2008 at 11:04:14 (D | E)
Hello everyone,
My funniest mistake when I was younger and I met a penpal, I said to her :
" I like the colour of your hairs " instead of " your hair ". I will never make the mistake again for sure !

Re: Funny mistakes in English from , posted on 15-06-2008 at 16:58:35 (D | E)
The funniest and the silliest mistake I've ever made so far is saying:"According me"!
Avoid it everyone!

By the way this is a good question:talking about our mistakes enables us to improve our English as well.

Re: Funny mistakes in English from alili, posted on 15-06-2008 at 21:58:40 (D | E)
I remember a while ago talking with an Irish girl who was telling me all the French cities she knew, and all of sudden, she asked me : "Have you ever been to Nice?" But she mispronounced Nice and the only answer that came to my mind was: "What? You can never be too nice!".It took me a while to understand what she meant, I must say...

Re: Funny mistakes in English from chrislondon, posted on 15-06-2008 at 22:13:56 (D | E)
They're both really funny!!

Re: Funny mistakes in English from angelene, posted on 15-06-2008 at 22:54:45 (D | E)
hi,

once, during the English lesson we described pictures, one of my students wanted to say that "one man has a beard on his face" but she mispronounced the word and instead of saying /'bd/ she said /bd/ like 'bird', the whole group burst out laughing and I couldn't keep a straight face either, in Polish the equivalent of the word 'bird' means not only an animal but also a part of male body

-------------------
Modifié par angelene le 16-06-2008 00:20

Re: Funny mistakes in English from rachidkhouya, posted on 16-06-2008 at 04:28:20 (D | E)
i thought the students the difference between :Miss and Mrs...and by the end of the lesso, , i write a sentence on the board and asked the students:" where is the mistake ?
one of them said: she is not in the classroom...he thoght i was asking about a certain Miss Take lol

Re: Funny mistakes in English from mariaprudencia7, posted on 16-06-2008 at 16:19:43 (D | E)
I can't forget my funniest mistake, I was a beginner in English, one day in my class, my teacher asked me to show my face, A beginner I was, I show my buttocks, all the classmates were so happy, but I didn't not know face is not fesses as in French... Now I know and I can't say it again

Re: Funny mistakes in English from prosbeg, posted on 19-06-2008 at 15:43:23 (D | E)
when I was in JSS, my teacher asked me this question:"Are you sure" because I gave an answer. and I said "No" because I didn't know the meaning of "sure" I thought it means "fail" because in my local language "sure" means "fail".
by the way check in your local languages especially if you are in west Africa to see if you don't have such problems.

-------------------
Modifié par bridg le 20-06-2008 12:20

Re: Funny mistakes in English from michachou, posted on 20-06-2008 at 12:18:14 (D | E)
I found many people who made lots of mistakes when I was a student. I didn't laugh at these persons, I tried to help them How to say that exactly.So It's better to encourage them instead of laught at them.

Re: Funny mistakes in English from chrislondon, posted on 20-06-2008 at 19:50:21 (D | E)
You learn from the mistakes you make. No-one was laughing at anyone. You laugh with the person who makes the mistake. I've laughed a lot at my own mistakes in French and Spanish, believe me and I've never felt upset when people laughed (in a nice way, of course!)

Re: Funny mistakes in English from michachou, posted on 23-06-2008 at 12:18:29 (D | E)
Of course yes, Mr Chrislondon, I want to say you that i'm not american or english, I'm malagasy, we have our own language,
I want to say you again, i learn from the mistakes i make that's way I'm here to participate and develop my knowledge about how to speak english? with the forumist here.

Re: Funny mistakes in English from chrislondon, posted on 24-06-2008 at 21:35:09 (D | E)
I just wanted to provide a little humour, that's all. If anyone is offended by the post it was certainly not my intention. I wish you well with your studies on the site. I'm sure that you will learn a lot of English.

Re: Funny mistakes in English from omar_champ, posted on 25-06-2008 at 20:07:40 (D | E)
well that's a great subject you have chosen.This mistake was done by a pupil of a fellow teacher at middle school.The teacher told his pupils - at first - to say :" W.C. please" when ever they needed to satisfy the call of nature.But after a while he saw that it was hard for them, so he changed it to :" Toilets please." One day he was not in a good mood, one of his pupils - a funny, silly one - asked:" toilets please?" the teacher said out of anger " NO".the pupil replued :" W.S." then. (if not toilets it should be W.S. / W.C./ to him)

Re: Funny mistakes in English from , posted on 26-06-2008 at 21:35:41 (D | E)
that's so funny. I remember that when our teacher was dictating us a lesson, he told us to leave a blank but he said only the word "blank" so most of the pupils wrote (blank) because they didn't understand it. So the teacher screamed at one of them and told her "don't write blank or I'll make a blank"

Re: Funny mistakes in English from shumer, posted on 29-06-2008 at 03:21:30 (D | E)
Good evening!
I wrote to my best friend a letter and send without checking the spelling.
and I received reply:
"...You are saying that your spain is horrible after surgery.(very sad face)...I am so sorry...But I only hope that your France, Germany...and other countries of Europe are doing well..."
As you understood I've had misspelled spine.
Language mistakes are very funny I think..especialy for the people who has good sense of humour.

Re: Funny mistakes in English from gentelmantunis, posted on 30-06-2008 at 02:25:45 (D | E)

hello you know in Tunisia i was visited SIDI BOU SAID and There was many tourist and some of them ask me
the bread is cold ? ........is cold?.........

since I'm with my friend and my level in English as better as my friend so i ask to tourist
- Do you speak English ?
- yes, cold is English!!!!
- so i said REALLY...!!???
and i never forget the word cold because in that moment i was very hot ...... (I'm sorry for my English)

Re: Funny mistakes in English from jay22, posted on 09-07-2008 at 17:37:42 (D | E)
Me I used to what every one say in english. and one while I was preparing my clothes to go to church, i asked:"mom, where's the (iron)irron instead of iron (ayun). That was funny!:

I was cooking too and I said to my father that the (bride)bread is ready!
I won't do these mistakes again

Re: Funny mistakes in English from , posted on 26-07-2008 at 15:32:27 (D | E)
some years ago I went to England and Wanted TO buy A KNOCKER TO HANG ON MY DOOR IN FRANCE.SO I ASKED TO MY ENGLISH FRIENDS THE BEST PLACE TO BUY ONE,BUT WHEN I PRONOUNCED THAT WORD EVERYBODY WENT ON LAUGHING BUT NO ONE GAVE ME AN EXPLANATION.I SUPPOSE THAT WORD HAS A RUDE MEANING IN SLUNG(PERHAPS A PART OF A MAN'S ANATOMY.)

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 26-07-2008 19:17
Please don't shout by writing in uppercases.

Re: Funny mistakes in English from nick27, posted on 26-07-2008 at 15:54:39 (D | E)
Well actually "knocker" refers only to the piece of metal that you "hit" against the door to get someone to open it. There isn't any offensive meaning associated with that.
If you said "knockers" instead, then yes it's an offensive word meaning a woman's breasts

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 26-07-2008 19:15
In the singular as well,but anyway that's slang.

Re: Funny mistakes in English from silky, posted on 26-07-2008 at 20:55:02 (D | E)
I remember allowing my pupils to use a bilingual dictionary for ten minutes at the end of a written task. One of them wrote: "I love my binocular sister" (=ma soeur jumelle)
It was a great opportunity for me to teach them how to use a dictionary.

Re: Funny mistakes in English from , posted on 02-08-2008 at 20:18:45 (D | E)
I just spent a year in France teaching English to teenagers.

I had a class of BTS students and we were working on a conversatino sheet where they head to ask eachother questions and reply to eachother using the form 'Would you ever' to teach the conditional tense.

One of the students asked 'would you ever cheat on your partner?'.

But pronounced the word 'cheat' as 'shit'. I almost fell off my chair!

Re: Funny mistakes in English from henriz, posted on 29-08-2008 at 01:31:25 (D | E)
I did make this mistake during my first trip to the States (my understanding and knowledge of the idiom were not so good at this time). Friends of mine were talking about sea gulls and (maybe because I was born in Marseille) I heard : cigales. And I was amazed by the size my friends said the insect could reach !

Re: Funny mistakes in English from , posted on 02-10-2008 at 17:34:09 (D | E)
Last year, my husband was looking for a campground. He phoned many persons for reservation. He always asked have you a place free for camping instead of available. l understand why we had a hard time to find a camping. We asked my new English friend to phone for us and we never forget that mistake, Thank you the subject is very interesting as you see l am a beginner

Re: Funny mistakes in English from , posted on 02-10-2008 at 17:36:17 (D | E)
may bee l could say to book instead of take a reservation?

Re: Funny mistakes in English from chrislondon, posted on 02-10-2008 at 21:38:49 (D | E)
You could use 'book' or 'reserve' with hotels, camp-sites and also for tickets.

Re: Funny mistakes in English from gawjus, posted on 29-11-2009 at 00:37:15 (D | E)
A friend of mine said: I lost my pocket instead of I lost my wallet!that was funny!!lol

Re: Funny mistakes in English from elaine, posted on 29-11-2009 at 13:04:24 (D | E)
I have made a lot of mistakes since I started to learn english, now I can't recall any funny mistakes,but I head of a funny mistake in english.The sentence(do better every day) was written to (good good study,day day up). And guys wrote the funny mistakes which are very amusing.

Re: Funny mistakes in English from gerondif, posted on 29-11-2009 at 21:32:08 (D | E)
in 1972,after staying with an English host family for the first time, I bought the landlady some chocolates and wanted to tell her that she had been a perfect "host" but the word "guest" barged in and I ended up saying: "you've been a perfect ghost!"

Another mistake that a pupil made one day: I asked them to translate:
"peu importe" never mind ! and the girl wrote: "few a door !"

Re: Funny mistakes in English from jgw123, posted on 03-12-2009 at 12:26:16 (D | E)
I like here very much .

Re: Funny mistakes in English from tuancoltech, posted on 06-12-2009 at 17:40:27 (D | E)
I like here, too. You guys are telling many funny stories =)).Although they all are very helpful. Thanks.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< English only
Page 1 / 5 - To jump to another page: Top | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | End | Bottom

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux